Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
tesseractcat
Enthusiast
tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle Voyage
Kindle Voyage vs. Inkbook Prime

Recently, I have been using my kobo glo hd. I really enjoy the higher resolution, and the smaller form factor. But I have realized that one thing that I would prefer would be an ereader with page turn buttons, (and expandable storage). The Inkbook Prime and the voyage look very similar, and I was wondering if anybody that has had one or both could offer insight into which one was better. Thanks!
tesseractcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Voyage does not have expandable storage#

Given that you like your Glo HD, you could get an original Kobo Aura H2O. It has expandable storage but no page turn buttons.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
tesseractcat
Enthusiast
tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!

Well the Kobo Aura H2O doesn't have a flush screen, is a bit too big, is missing page turn buttons, is lower resolution, and is heavier than both the voyage and the inkbook prime, so sadly it's not an option. Expandable storage is not a deciding factor for me, so I am still considering the voyage.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
@tesseractcat. I am pretty certain the Inkbook Prime has a 212dpi screen, which is lower resolution than the Voyage, the Glo HD or the H2O.

300dpi, 6 inch readers with page turn buttons would include the Cybook Muse HD, the Boox C67 Carta2, or the Kepler - whether any of these takes your fancy, or is easily available to you are different matters.

Last edited by church mouse; 05-22-2017 at 04:26 PM.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
tesseractcat
Enthusiast

The Kepler Pro looks very good, however the price is a bit prohibitive. Do you know how the kepler compares to the voyage in terms of build quality and ease of use?
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I can't speak for the Kepler Pro. But I have a Boyue T63 - 6 inch display, 300 dpi, flush screen, and expandable storage. Its build quality is good. I've seen the Voyage. The Voyage might have a slight edge in build quality and overall screen quality.

The Boyue, like several of the other options mentioned in this thread, runs Android. So, you can install some reading apps. Kindle and Nook do not work that well on devices like these. However, Moon Reader Pro, KOReader and AlReader (to name only three) work just fine. The Bpyue has its own reading app, which is good enough.

I mention the Boyue because, of the e-Ink devices I know about, it comes closest to what you are looking for.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseractcat View Post
Well the Kobo Aura H2O doesn't have a flush screen, is a bit too big, is missing page turn buttons, is lower resolution, and is heavier than both the voyage and the inkbook prime, so sadly it's not an option. Expandable storage is not a deciding factor for me, so I am still considering the voyage.
The H2O2 is not noticeably heavier than the Voyage. It's not all that much larger. And as for resolution, the Inkbook Prime has the lowest resolution. I have the original H2O and I find the screen to be very nice. The resolution works very well as is. I know the screen on the H2O isn't flush, but a lot of people prefer that as it's then not as easy to accidentally touch the screen.

One thing to consider is the software. I find the features of the H2O to be better overall than the features of the Voyage. You've used a Glo HD and enjoyed it. The H2O2 has the same features which I think you'll be disappointed giving up for a Voyage.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
tesseractcat
Enthusiast

I am not currently considering buying an H2O, sorry. The Boyue T63 looks very nice though, although I was wondering if it has an english language option, because I am not very fluent in mandarin.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I used my neighbor's Kobo HD while I was setting it up for him. I have a Kindle Voyage. The Voyage in it's cheap, very light case weighs less than the Kobo HD without a case. The Kobo is considerably larger.

While the newest H2O is smaller and lighter than his HD it's still closer to the size and weight of the HD than it is the Voyage.

The Voyage has a big size/weight advantage and to say otherwise is misleading.

The advantage of the Kobo is the larger screen, although that doesn't matter to me. I'd prefer a smaller screen but my neighbor does prefer the larger screen by a lot.

The Kobo has a number of software features the Voyage doesn't have but with sideloaded books most of them are fairly unreliable, not working as often as they do work.

The Voyage has a better screen although I'm sure the new H2O has much improved that. Still the Kobo HD screen is excellent even if the Voyage screen is a bit better.

As for the flush screen, I've been a big fan of that for a long time but lately I've been reading a lot on my Paperwhite and going to the Voyage while the Paperwhite is charging. I still prefer the size and weight of the Voyage but I'm starting to realize that I have to be a lot more careful where I put my fingers while reading. I accidentally turn pages more on the Voyage because of that flush screen. That doesn't happen enough to be a real problem but it happens enough to make me wary of it and draw my attention from my book. I still like the luxury of the flush screen but I'm starting to think it comes at too high a price.

I think the most important thing to realize when making an ereader decision is that these are all very fine points. These are all excellent devices. When you're choosing between perfection and magnificence it's pretty hard to get it wrong.

Big Bad Wolfe, please read that last paragraph again.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The Kobo has a number of software features the Voyage doesn't have but with sideloaded books most of them are fairly unreliable, not working as often as they do work.
I have to disagree with that. I own an H2O and the features do work more than not.

As for the screen, the H2O is much better than the Aura HD screen. The Aura HD is Pearl and the the H2O is Carta. Carta is what's used on the Voyage.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #11
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
4 gb is really enough for storage ,can hold around 3000 books , Ereaders become slower to navigate the more books you have ,so storage isn't really an issue .
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
tesseractcat
Enthusiast

I like to read comics on my e-reader, which do take up a lot of space, also, software features aren't really a big priority for me.