Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
mbuttsworth
mbuttsworth began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Hyphenatation Problems

Hello Everyone,

I am using Calibre to convert books from Epub to Mobi.
The conversions are very good but while the Epub version is perfect, the Mobi version hyphenates every word at the end of a line.
This renders the conversion useless.
How can I stop Calibre hyphenating words at the end of each line while converting from Epub to Mobi.

All advice appreciated.

Matthew Buttsworth
mbuttsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuttsworth View Post
How can I stop Calibre hyphenating words at the end of each line while converting from Epub to Mobi.
Since calibre does not add hyphens to mobi files during conversion the reader you are using to view the mobi files may have full justification with hyphens as an option. What reader are you viewing the mobi files in?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
mbuttsworth

Hypens in Mobi files

I am using Adobe reader to view them.
But when I double click on the mobi file and upload to kindle I can also see them.
It would be great if they were not there.
I have to get rid of them.
Everything else about the conversion is perfect.

Matthew
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
mbuttsworth

Turning Hyphens off

If that is the case, how do I turn hyphens in the reader off? As neither the source file, or the epub file is fully justified?

Matthew
Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
mbuttsworth

Hyphernation Problem is still there.

No, even when I upload mobi file to Amazon and convert to kindle format and view file, the hyphens are there.
What can I do to stop them appearing?
The problem makes the files unusable.
I am using the macintosh version of calibre.
Could this be the problem?

Thanks

Matthew
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The ebook must have soft hyphens. These are in the ePub version, but ignored by Adobe Digital Editions. The only thread I have found on this is Sigil: Removing soft hypens, and there roger64 suggested the following in OpenOffice:
Quote:
You can copy/paste one of the soft hyphens into the Find & Replace "Search for" field, or you can set "Options/Regular expressions: ON" and enter \x00AD in place of the soft hyphen.
I suggest trying the same in Calibre's Preferences -> Common Options -> Search and Replace.

Last edited by wallcraft; 10-10-2011 at 10:36 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote