Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony Librie killed by a notebook

You know that most gadgets are extremely fragile by nature, and the Sony Librie e-book reader is no exception. Hence we feel genuinely sorry for Mathieu from Australia whose Librie got crushed by a heavy notebook. You can see some photos of the immediate aftermath posted here on Flickr. And what's Mathieu's wish for his next e-book reader?

I've had the opportunity to experience ePaper - this experience hasn't turned me off it. I'll just have to make sure that my future eBook has a stronger protective case for the screen. I believe the iRex iLiad has a glass cover. The Sony Reader which will sell in Borders book stores across the US has a...? This makes me wonder whether Sony equipped the paper with anything more than the leather cover?

Anyone cares to speculate?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
My condolences to him on his loss. I guess eink still have awhile to go before truly replacing paper ...
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
royalkay
royalkay began at the beginning.

Looks like the same aftermath after my iRex fell 2 feet onto a carpeted floor, except my crack goes from the upper left corner. Ends up it is cheaper to replace the reader with a Sony than get it fixed.
royalkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalkay
Looks like the same aftermath after my iRex fell 2 feet onto a carpeted floor, except my crack goes from the upper left corner. Ends up it is cheaper to replace the reader with a Sony than get it fixed.
Ouch! 2 feet on a carpeted floor - that isn't much. So I gather that E Ink's are very sensitive. More sensitive than LCD.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
BTW, if you want better protection for the Sony Reader, you might need to get a separate case or box of some sort because the cover it comes with is pretty flexible and is not likely to protect the screen very much. I'm sure we'll see some good alternatives come up fast, and even some of the standard DayTimer-like portfolios might end up working pretty well. Clearly something will be needed to protect it while traveling.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
threebeers
threebeers began at the beginning.

Device: Palm, Sony, Nook, Literati
My Sony screen just busted right in the middle, something in the lugguge punched through the cover.

But I can still use it, sort of. The bottom half of the screen is fine. So I have converted some books with Calibre with a 160pt top margin. I only get half a page, but that just means twice the page turns. Works until the non-Kindles come out with Pearl Screens or the new Sonys with Pearl drop a lot.
threebeers is offline   Reply With Quote