Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #46
SteveJordan
SteveJordan began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 3
Spoiler:
[ 6356.701113] usb 4-2.4.4: new low-speed USB device number 18 using uhci_hcd
[ 6356.830114] usb 4-2.4.4: New USB device found, idVendor=1949, idProduct=dead
[ 6356.830122] usb 4-2.4.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
[ 6356.830127] usb 4-2.4.4: Product: USB Charger
[ 6356.846197] input: USB Charger as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.2/usb4/4-2/4-2.4/4-2.4.4/4-2.4.4:1.0/input/input16
[ 6356.846384] hid-generic 0003:1949: DEAD.0008: input,hidraw4: USB HID v1.11 Device [USB Charger ] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-2.4.4/input0
[ 6357.526117] usb 4-2.4.4: USB disconnect, device number 18
[ 6370.653124] usb 4-2.4.4: new full-speed USB device number 19 using uhci_hcd
[ 6370.755115] usb 4-2.4.4: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
[ 6370.779120] usb 4-2.4.4: New USB device found, idVendor=1949, idProduct=0004
[ 6370.779127] usb 4-2.4.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 6370.779132] usb 4-2.4.4: Product: Amazon Kindle
[ 6370.779136] usb 4-2.4.4: Manufacturer: Amazon
[ 6370.779140] usb 4-2.4.4: SerialNumber: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[ 6370.786307] scsi16 : usb-storage 4-2.4.4:1.0
[ 6447.510132] usb 4-2.4.4: USB disconnect, device number 19

This is what I've found with dmesg, it's ok ?

Last edited by SteveJordan; 07-05-2016 at 02:21 PM.
SteveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #47
byzkarl
byzkarl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
My experience with a KV:

I installed the jailbreak and then I did have a bootloop, I think, where all I got was the tree and dude reading. The buttons still gave haptic feedback, but I couldn't get it to go any further. Windows didn't recognize it as a drive when I plugged it in.

I hooked it up to a linux machine hoping I could figure something out, and as soon as I did, it showed a progress bar and then restarted. All is well, I'm jailbroken and running KUAL.

I believe it happened after I did this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92&postcount=7

and before I applied NiLuJe's bridge update. I wish I had taken better notes.

I don't know what happened, but it's working great now. Thanks for all your work!
byzkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes, that is the snippet we needed to see.

It shows that the system never gets far enough to export the USB storage filesystem, not even for a few seconds.

We will have think about this one some.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #49
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And ignore my critics, geekmaster didn't and you can see what happened to him.
Nice way to treat a dying man.
Would we even be in this forum without all his background work on computers?
I think we all owe him a thank you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #50
SteveJordan

Quote:
Yes, that is the snippet we needed to see.

It shows that the system never gets far enough to export the USB storage filesystem, not even for a few seconds.

We will have think about this one some.
Hmm, ok. So, what I have to do finally ? Can I expect use my kindle one day ?
To be honest, I'm a little bit confused ,,,

Last edited by SteveJordan; 07-05-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #51
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJordan View Post
Hmm, ok. So, what I have to do finally ? Can I expect use my kindle one day ?
Please have a little patience, while the devs are super smart, they need a bit of time to work through the problem.
Note: it has been a long couple of days with all the new developments.
But you have not been forgotten.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #52
SteveJordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Please have a little patience, while the devs are super smart, they need a bit of time to work through the problem.
Note: it has been a long couple of days with all the new developments.
But you have not been forgotten.
Okay thanks !
Old 07-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #53
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
SteveJordan, have you checked md5 of the downloaded initial.bin? Maybe the reported bootloops were caused with corrupted downloads?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #54
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Ryccardo reported on the #kindle-dev IRC channel:

Quote:
2:39:06 PM - Ryccardo: Hi, long-time kt2 jailbreaker reporting on the factory downgrade with both ads and passcode enabled: after flashing, hung on Kindle/tree logo, same after resetting with power button, after about 10 minutes the progress bar appeared and it booted normally
3:09:28 PM - eschwartz: So after the wait everything had worked?
3:24:22 PM - Ryccardo: eschwartz: it certainly booted fine, couldn't launch kual (expected, I guess), after installing the rejailbreak update it works
3:25:01 PM - Ryccardo: both settings and usb storage survived so the wait wasn't a factory reset
3:25:14 PM - Ryccardo: (well, most settings... not wifi for one)
3:26:41 PM - eschwartz: The reboot is normal after a firmware imaging. The MKK which allows kindlets like KUAL to work got wiped, and restored by a reboot. The re-jailbreak includes a reboot, and certainly didn't hurt but was probably unnecessary.
3:27:25 PM - eschwartz: Maybe the Wifi had a backwards-incompatible format change.
3:28:07 PM - eschwartz: Which is also known to happen with the Content Catalog ( /var/local/cc.db ) depending on which firmwares are involved.
3:28:30 PM - eschwartz: So tl;dr good news YAY!
3:30:23 PM - eschwartz: Absent an inexplicable boot pause during the initial downgrade, which may or may not mean anything but seems to have been harmless so probably didn't.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #55
byzkarl
byzkarl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Ryccardo reported on the #kindle-dev IRC channel:
Now that I see this, I think this is exactly what happened to me. I was wrong up above. It was after downgrading that it hung.
byzkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #56
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems that we must advise people to wipe /var/local before the downgrade.

I am working on adding a 'preparation section' to work around these problems.

Nice for someone to test and find that the "Special Offers" and "Passcode" wasn't part of the problem.
Although we do have one user with a bricked PW-3, and unless we can come up with some rescue plan, I guess I will have to buy it from him.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #57
knc1
Going Viral

Top post re-write complete.
The good news: It should work with less problems for people now.
The bad news: You MUST prepare for the downgrade, there is no alternative that is safe for general use.

Ah - Phooey -
I forgot to put in the PW-2 procedure exception, maybe next time.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #58
veereihen6
veereihen6 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Thanks heaps knc1 and all involved with this!! Worked on my PW2 (downgraded from 5.8.1). I am currently at 5.4.3.2, jailbroken.

However, I have a question as to upgrading back up:

Must I upgrade to 5.6.5, then JB, then apply bridge hotfix in order to be able to get back up to 5.8.1 with JB?
veereihen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #59
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by veereihen6 View Post
Thanks heaps knc1 and all involved with this!! Worked on my PW2 (downgraded from 5.8.1). I am currently at 5.4.3.2, jailbroken.

However, I have a question as to upgrading back up:

Must I upgrade to 5.6.5, then JB, then apply bridge hotfix in order to be able to get back up to 5.8.1 with JB?
Nope.
Stick a fork in it and call it done. Update to anything of your choice.
At least if you followed all of the steps (and it reads as if you have).
Old 07-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #60
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
And ignore my critics, geekmaster didn't and you can see what happened to him.
Nice way to treat a dying man.
Geek is back! @Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Would we even be in this forum without all his background work on computers?
I think we all owe him a thank you.
Yes we would. No single person should ever be crucial to anything, a.k.a. "single point of failure".
Several pioneers helped make this forum the great forum it is... but certainly, geekmaster was one of them and this place would have been much less without his presence and inspiration.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote