Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
nano5
Connoisseur
nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Help needed:

[2019-05-01]

Hello, I am new to this forum and just registered to get some help, for better news fetching results using Calibre recipe.

Take TE recipe for example,

(1) the original Calibre recipe will fetch the newspaper in Mobi format (old), and send to my kindle automatically, everything works fine only there is lacking a line break between paragraphs when reading on Kindle, as well as slight format difference such as title/subject's font size, when compare with another Calibre output (which I can't remember where I downloaded from but more satisfying), for the same TE newspaper.

(2) Or if I try to do a conversion after news fetching in Calibre, i.e. add line break between paragraphs, I lost more format during the process, such as "Highlights", "Sections" and "Clip this article" of the newspaper when reading on Kindle.

So what you suggest I should do and how, since I am only an average Kindle/Calibre user not a programmer (no experience with css or python), to modify the original recipe and add a few extra css lines? or using Calibre convert settings.

Thank you.

Last edited by nano5; 05-01-2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: want to attach screenshots
nano5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
lui1
Enthusiast
lui1 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Phone
hints for styling your ebooks

Here are a few suggestions that might help. The links provided point to the relevent sections of the online manual found at https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/index.html.

For the news recipes you can use the extra_css instance variable to add css properties to the ebook (See Slicing and Dicing):
Code:
extra_css = '''
    p, div { 
        margin-bottom: 1em;
    }
    '''

To disable the fetching of CSS from the website use no_stylesheet. (See Replacing Article Styles):
Code:
no_stylesheet = True

To change the CSS during conversion use Conversion Options -> Look & Feel (See Look & Feel). The picture below shows you where you can change the spacing between paragraphs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	layout.png
Views:	76
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	171216

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-01-2019 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Please don't post inline images bigger than 600x600
lui1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
nano5
Connoisseur
nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nano5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
ebook-convert

Thanks @lui1.

I have yesterday found an alternatively by using convert-book command line, and the result is better fit.

Then there are two further minor issues:
(1) when set --mobi-file-type=both (or new) when using ebook-convert, then send the mobi to kindle via calibre-smtp, it seems Mobile 6 format still, any idea?
(2) the generated mobi file name/title has a date attached, such as "[sample news, Fri, May 2 2019], how to remove it?

thanks again!
nano5 is offline   Reply With Quote