Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #16
FraPe
Enthusiast
FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-300, PRS-950 and Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck View Post
How did you fit the mod in the original case? Can you post a photo?
Unfortunately I did not took a photo. As already mentioned the deassembling is not trivial so I would need to do this again to get an image. There are no disassembling videos at Youtube for PRS-950 but there are some for PRS-650 and the general method is the same. I was not able to found the issue I had in one of these videos. Maybe this is because of the firmware release.
I used exact the battery model that was already mentioned in the thread:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cameron-Sin...frcectupt=true

It has exactly the size as the original and fits perfectly into the bay of the device. The resistor I used is really very small so this has no effect on the overall size and fit.

Last edited by FraPe; 04-17-2019 at 12:56 AM.
FraPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I tried and the replacement effort was a disaster. Ended up tossing the 950. In my case, the ribbon somehow got a very tiny cut/nick/tear. That made the 950 dead.
My 350 attempt was also a disaster. IIRC, while attempting to remove the screws some became stripped/lost and when it came time to remove the battery it was glued so tight I bent the board trying to remove it. I still have it in a box somewhere as a reminder of what not to do.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:26 AM   #18
Mayn
Mayn began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD2
I seems so easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feRYVQz2FMo
But now I'm wondering. I ordered a new battery for my PRS-650, so I'm very curious how it will work out!
Mayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:43 AM   #19
Mayn

I seems so easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feRYVQz2FMo
But now I'm wondering. I ordered a new battery for my PRS-650, so I'm very curious how it will work out!
Old 04-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #20
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I did several PRS-350 battery replacement and have gotten more comfortable with the process now. Both with generic Amazon/Ebay batteries as well as with the NewPower99 kits.

It turns out that the battery-run-down in 2 days was the result of a poorly formatted ePUB. The problem went away once the culprit was reconverted from ePUB -> ePUB using Calibre.

It is interesting to learn about the NTC thermristor hack. Looking forward to upgrade my 950s in the future.

Mayn, please let us know about your experience.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:43 AM   #21
Mayn

Quote:

Mayn, please let us know about your experience.
I already disassembled the PRS-650, that went ok. I expect the new battery Wednesday or Thursday, I'll let you know!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #22
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayn View Post
I already disassembled the PRS-650, that went ok.
From my experience, that is the most challenging part of the whole process. Instruction videos look easy because they are performed on brand new devices. A few years in the real world, the outter shell of most plastic readers warp, unevenly molded to the way it is most oftenly handled. Plastic deterioration, hardened glue and grime all make the delicate process of dissasembling difficult.

Good luck and looking forward to hear and see your results.

Last edited by jakeluck; 04-23-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #23
Mayn

Quote:

Good luck and looking forward to hear and see your results.
Got the new battery today and built it in. No problems. Also, charging the battery seems to go well. At least the message "charging" appears. The battery itself was practically fully charged when I received it. So, all well, ends well!
If, after usage, I have to charge it again, and I run into problems, I will let you know!
Old 05-02-2019, 04:37 AM   #24
FraPe
Enthusiast
FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayn View Post
Got the new battery today and built it in. No problems. Also, charging the battery seems to go well. At least the message "charging" appears. The battery itself was practically fully charged when I received it. So, all well, ends well!
If, after usage, I have to charge it again, and I run into problems, I will let you know!
Thanks for describing your experience. This seems to confirm my assumption that my issue is not a general one. It is maybe based on 'parameters' like reader model, firmware release, ..
In other words: Not every reader / reader model / firmware release / ... will have this issue when trying to replace the battery.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #25
jakeluck
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraPe View Post
Thanks for describing your experience. This seems to confirm my assumption that my issue is not a general one. It is maybe based on 'parameters' like reader model, firmware release, ..
In other words: Not every reader / reader model / firmware release / ... will have this issue when trying to replace the battery.
FraPe, for reference, which firmware release is your 950 on? Is yours a US model?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #26
FraPe
Enthusiast

Quote:
FraPe, for reference, which firmware release is your 950 on? Is yours a US model?
US-Model: Yes
Firmware release / Version: 2.0.00.11300 (the last from Sony for the PRS-950)
Old 07-29-2019, 05:08 AM   #27
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Just to add another data point, I replaced the battery in my 650 with one from eBay. Followed a YouTube video for disassembly. No issues.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:20 AM   #28
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
One more data point, I replaced the battery in my 505 and 300 with ones from eBay. Followed YouTube videos. Surprisingly easy.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #29
Brian M
Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: PRS-950
Whee, another PRS-950 owner, and the new/replacement battery doesn't charge. US model with PRS+ 2.0.18 and Device 2.0.00.11300. Thank you to who posted the Hackaday link gives me something to think about while I wait on a reply from the seller for this battery.

For disassembly of the 950, it's pretty easy IMHO, but I have a little experience and the right tool. If you have a glasses screwdriver and a thin "spudger" (something to pry with, my pocket knife uses utility/box cutter blades and I used that), you have the tools. The service manual is already posted here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=16

If you remove the 4 screws on the left side, that trim piece slides Down (with some force the first time) and then simply lifts away. The back cover has 2 screws that are hidden by the left edge piece. The manual makes it look like the back cover slides, but it doesn't. This is where you pry, gently and little by little, around the edges. I think I did the top edge first, then the bottom. The back then lifts away/sort of hinges on some tabs along the right side (from the front, left as you're working on it with the reader face down). The battery is then front and center. The connection comes straight up, though it's hidden by a foam block (to keep it pressed in place?). The battery itself is held in place by double-sided tape, and it's STICKY. This was the worst part, I suggest using something wide to pry under the edge and then Lift with... a 2" putty knife would work, plastic would be even better but those tend to be thicker.

The chrome bezel that runs around the outside, which the video shows coming off the PRS-650, STAYS IN PLACE. Similarly, there's no reason to remove the screw found under the stylus.

I've never done video before, but maybe I'll give it a shot and post it up (for the dozen PRS-950 owners still left).

EDIT:

https://youtu.be/678bvHWB-Cc

Here's my attempt at a video showing the disassembly of the PRS-950 to gain access to the battery.

Last edited by Brian M; 08-08-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added video link
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #30
Brian M
Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: PRS-950
So the ebay seller sent a second battery that demonstrated the same no-charge issue. I decided destroying a $12 battery (and maybe the reader) was worth the risk since my PRS950 was near enough to useless without a battery. Took apart both batteries (meaning I heated them with a hair drier and peeled the stickers off). These 2 photos are the "control boards", hoping that someone with more electronics knowledge than me can point out the difference...

Photos were WAY huge here, so a link instead (sucks, sorry):
https://imgur.com/a/2pjgjJz

I need to tidy everything up, but I have verified that it powers on without error to charging (on and standby). I'll have retained all of the "safety" that Sony implemented, just with a fresh battery pack. Going to keep the OEM for awhile, not sure what it'd be needed for, though aftermarket batteries are sometimes worse in "new" condition than worn OEM's.

None of this is hard, what you need mostly is courage to ruin something. Beyond that it's a glasses screwdriver, something to pry with (butter knife worked good on the battery), X-acto/utility knife (I used it to cut the leads/break the spot welds), solder and soldering iron. Flux would be nice too, but I used rosin-core (flux in the middle) solder and it's good enough. Took me less than 30 minutes, and hopefully I'll have more than an hour or two of reading charge.

Last edited by Brian M; 08-21-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Whoa!!! image sizes!
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote