Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #16
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Quote:
I found and tried a couple of apps modified to use the eInk display on the Edge - Cool Reader and FBReader. Cool Reader seems to be Edge specific - I can't get eBooks to display fitting the smaller PE LDC screen, which causes issues trying to use the eInk display. FBReader works, but you must have the book open on the LCD side to navigate, and it simply copies what's there to the frame buffer for display on eInk. That largely eliminates the power saving features of using the eInk side. It does let you read outdoors in sunlight, but I basically don't do that. Both went away.
You might be interested in testing Orion reader for PDF and djvu files. It was supporting edge eink for some time. Here is the link to the last version for edge.
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #17
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
As my old Edge (not Pocket Edge) is misbehaving lately I'll try to fix it if I find the time.
What sort of misbehavior?

Quote:
Scanning the newer threads I came across your experiences with the Pocket Edge here. Thanks for keeping us informed. About WPS Office: The Onyx-Boox E43 E-Reader (+Phone) I have here runs on Android 2.3.5 and came with WPS Office 6.0.3 installed. I did not look at the version history / improvements from 5.x to 6.x but if you can get hold of an apk for the latter you could try that one too.
Ah, the joys of a proper file name. Plugging "WPS Office 6.03 apk" into Google returned several download locations. The apk installed and runs on the Edge. It's not quite up to the current version, but handles my test cases. I had found and installed a version of Olive Office that runs and handles my test files, but WPS Office is all around better.

Thank you!

The next step is probably using Titanium Backup to remove Docs to Go, since I don't need two office suites on the PE, but there's no hurry.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #18
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vldmr View Post
You might be interested in testing Orion reader for PDF and djvu files. It was supporting edge eink for some time. Here is the link to the last version for edge.
Thank you. I'll install it and try it out.

My preferred eBook viewer, FBReaderJ, runs on the Pocket Edge, and has working plugins for PDF, DjVu and CBR/CBZ, but it doesn't display on the eInk screen. Orion is another tool in the kit.
______
Dennis
Old 10-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #19
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
And I am now confused. Orion Reader is installed from your link and runs fine, and does a good job of displaying my test PDF on the LCD screen. I see no option to get it to display on the eInk screen.

Is this a case where the identification of the Edge as an HTC Nexus in build.props is confusing things?
______
Dennis
Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #20
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
And I am now confused. Orion Reader is installed from your link and runs fine, and does a good job of displaying my test PDF on the LCD screen. I see no option to get it to display on the eInk screen.

Is this a case where the identification of the Edge as an HTC Nexus in build.props is confusing things?
OK, I had to unsheathe my PE to actually check the link, and it worked fine for me right away, nothing special needs to be done: eink displays the document and page turn buttons work while LCD was off. As far as I remember in order for eink and buttons to work permissions need to be fixed for device files. The easiest way to fix permissions would be to apply modded allmine update from this post, which includes scripts to do that.
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
OK, I had to unsheathe my PE to actually check the link, and it worked fine for me right away, nothing special needs to be done: eink displays the document and page turn buttons work while LCD was off. As far as I remember in order for eink and buttons to work permissions need to be fixed for device files. The easiest way to fix permissions would be to apply modded allmine update from this post, which includes scripts to do that.
I previously installed Allmine and got Ermine and a rooted device.

I gather from the comments on the post I can simply install this over it to fix permissions and let things like Orion display on the eInk side. Downloaded, and I'll try the install later.

Thanks!
______
Dennis
Old 10-22-2015, 04:11 AM   #22
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
What sort of misbehavior?
Something in the android-core of Dingo forced the close down of nearly all relevant apps. - Did a new install of Dingo and Ermine-Update afterwards. Both took some retrying but finally Ermine 0.9 is running on the EE. Now I'm experiencing the browser-glitch that did show up under Dingo sometimes but now happens regularly. I'll try some browsers and see which runs best. - Edit: Opera Mini seems to be the best one here too.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 10-22-2015 at 05:30 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #23
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
Something in the android-core of Dingo forced the close down of nearly all relevant apps. - Did a new install of Dingo and Ermine-Update afterwards. Both took some retrying but finally Ermine 0.9 is running on the EE. Now I'm experiencing the browser-glitch that did show up under Dingo sometimes but now happens regularly. I'll try some browsers and see which runs best. - Edit: Opera Mini seems to be the best one here too.
I looked at Opera Mini, but the one I use is Dolphin Browser. It actually runs on the PE, and performs adequately. (I seldom browse from either of my Android tablets, so it's an "if and when" capability.) My preference for Dolphin is a preference for tabbed browsing.

On the other tablet, I have beta versions of Firefox and Chrome for Android.
______
Dennis