Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, 6" E-Ink
Allison Newberry Mysteries - Murder/Mystery Thrillers

Murder at the End of the World

Quote:
When the wife of a politician is murdered in the isolated port-city of Illdara, junior detective Allison Newberry is sent in to keep the case from growing cold. It's the assignment that no one else wants to deal with.

The case is immediately complicated by the nature of the city. Everyone is cold and unfriendly, unwilling to answer even the most basic questions from an outsider. Even the chief inspector is more concerned with Allison's eventual departure than with the actual outcome of the case.

To make matters worse, clues are scarce and little about the murder makes sense. No attempt was made to hide the woman's body, nor was her money or jewelry taken. The initial investigation turns up nothing but dead ends. Then a second victim appears: a homeless man killed in exactly the same manner. A single clue is left behind, the petal of a flower, which leads Allison to the darkest corners of the city.

The suspicion and paranoia, the empty buildings and empty streets, the whispers of strange happenings in the night, it's clear that something is wrong in Illdara. Somehow it all ties back to the murders, somehow everything makes sense, but Allison constantly struggles against the very nature of the city to try to find some clue, some shred of evidence that will bring the killer to light. Something is wrong in Illdara, something very wrong, and it may put Allison's life in danger.

Even so, murder has been committed and there's still a murderer out there who needs to be brought to justice.
Amazon Kindle version
Create Space paperback version

Eyes of Diamond, Hair of Gold

Quote:
Having finally returned from her first case, Detective Allison Newberry is immediately sent on to her next: the murder of a famed inventor. But she won't be solving this one alone. Another detective, the opinionated and unlikable Alistair Mooney, has been sent along as her assistant.

The murdered inventor, Gregory Williams, had surrounded himself with a technological world filled with his own creations, even going so far as to build a fake town to act as the outward expression of his personal obsessions. The few who live in the town full-time were utterly devoted to him, even as they despised each other, making it difficult to determine who might have committed the crime.

However, it is not the people or the town that make this case so bizarre. Living within the walls of the house are dozens of automatons, mechanical servants who will never grow tired and will never complain about any orders they're given. One automaton in particular, Maximilian, is far more advanced than any of the others, and even possesses the ability to speak in the voice of his creator.

Allison is suspicious of him, Alistair despises him, but it is not Maximilian that poses the greatest threat to all those gather for the funeral, but rather it is Gregory Williams himself...
Amazon Kindle version
Create Space paperback version

-----------------------

I was going to post more than this about them, but this post is long enough as it is. So, I'll save the rest for a later.
J. Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is this series about?

When I decided to start writing a mystery [before that I had written science fiction and fantasy almost exclusively], I wanted to write about murders that were a bit different from the norm. The idea was to set up situations and cases that other detectives didn't necessarily want to deal with, either because of their sensitive nature or because of their perceived complexity.

[Edited for length - MODERATOR]

Who is Allison Newberry?

My two biggest inspirations for writing in the mystery genre are Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot and Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Having said that, I don't really consider Allison to fit in the mold of the neurotic detective who notices little details or makes connections that no one else notices. She's also not an action hero who goes in with two guns blazing. I wanted to build a character who isn't necessarily the greatest detective in the world, but makes up for a lack of experience with a deep-seated tenacity that makes her willing to see any case through to its end, regardless of how dangerous her situation becomes.

What's the world like?

Having been inspired by Poirot and Holmes, I wanted to use a similar setting [late-Victorian England]. However, as I mentioned earlier, I come from a background of fantasy and science fiction, so I decided to build my stories around a custom-made world.

Using a "fantasy" world, however, is a double-edge sword. On the one hand, I'm not constricted by reality, I can build my world however I want to and do whatever I want with it. On the other hand, it loses that connection to the real world and some people might be put off by that. Nevertheless, this is how I'd like to write my stories, since I can do things that a historical setting wouldn't allow me to do.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-26-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
I'm not where I can post a link but I checked and it is also available from B&N. That earned it a place on my never ending tbr list.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
J. Garrett
Enthusiast

Yes, I do have the first on B&N:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/murd...=2940033015412

I forgot to get the second book on there, too, so it'll be a day or two before the page for that one is ready.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
J. Garrett
Enthusiast

Here's a few excerpts from some Amazon reviews I got for Murder at the End of the World:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Bares
I thought I had it figured out half way through, but was totally stunned at the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenna
The isolated city of Illdara is quite unique. Garrett spends a lot of time and detail in building this world. The result is wonderfully dark and mysterious - a perfect setting for his story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thibadeau
I found the story to be crisp, fast paced, interesting, clever, etc. I was anxious to resume reading each time I had to put it down.

Tags
crime, female detective, murder, mystery, thriller