Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Appropriate time to upgrade?

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen!

I have the latest gen PW (black text on front) and feeling an itch to get a new ereader. Have been looking at the Oasis 2 and the Aura One HD. I had a Glo HD in the past but never could stand Kobo's pricing and I really like a LOT of indie authors on the kindle ecosystem. The ONE thing I am on the fence about is the red light feature on the kobo! I read mainly at night and this feature is really interesting to me. Should I keep on with my PW or go ahead and get a newer ereader? Money isn't a concern, just kind of want a new toy for some reason.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
My theory of upgrade is one upgrades when one sees a new feature that one really wants. For example, my main reading device is an original iPad Pro, 12.9 with 128 GB circa 2015. I plan to upgrade to get a faster unit with a whole lot more memory (the memory is getting a bit cramped on this one). The generations 2 model with 512 GB should fit the bill, but I'm going to hold off until they do the June announcements and see if a Generation 3 model is announced.

From that stand point, the question becomes do you see a new model that has a feature you really want? Of course, nothing wrong with getting a new model just because. If the red light feature interest you and money isn't a concern, why not give it a try and see if you like it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
My theory of upgrade is one upgrades when one sees a new feature that one really wants. For example, my main reading device is an original iPad Pro, 12.9 with 128 GB circa 2015. I plan to upgrade to get a faster unit with a whole lot more memory (the memory is getting a bit cramped on this one). The generations 2 model with 512 GB should fit the bill, but I'm going to hold off until they do the June announcements and see if a Generation 3 model is announced.

From that stand point, the question becomes do you see a new model that has a feature you really want? Of course, nothing wrong with getting a new model just because. If the red light feature interest you and money isn't a concern, why not give it a try and see if you like it.
From a health perspective, does the right light offer any benefit over the PW3? Anything with data behind it?

Last edited by radbaddude; 05-19-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: *edit* meant RED LIGHT
Old 05-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
>> From a health perspective, does the right light offer any benefit over the PW3?
>> Anything with data behind it?

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that. When this first became a thing I read a number of articles that discussed blue light in relation to sleep and it seems studies have found a connection if there's quite a bit of blue light. Other studies have found little or no connection.

Then when it became a thing with ereaders there was a lot of speculation. There's a lot of question about whether the light in ereaders is bright enough for any of this to matter and, at least when I was reading about this, there weren't any real studies. That may have changed now. I decided I wasn't interested and haven't followed the topic.

That said, I do have the new Nook which does have the color adjustment and I did play with it a bit and I found that adding a tiny bit of orange made the color more pleasing. I leave it that way. I don't use the setting to make it more orange after dark.

I read a lot in bed before going to sleep and I haven't found any difference in reading with the Paperwhite and the Nook, but, of course, I'm not really using much of that feature.

Personally I don't think there's any reason to worry about any of this. Others do and I have no reason to disagree. I just haven't found anything that seems very convincing.

I do a lot of reading in bed at night and then I go to sleep and I sleep just fine.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:03 AM   #5
radbaddude
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I do a lot of reading in bed at night and then I go to sleep and I sleep just fine.
Barry
Thanks for your input. Didnt even know about that Nook. thought they had gotten out of the market. interesting! guess I just need to see the feature in person IMO.
Advert
Old 05-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Blue-light exposure is in our wiki. It points to a Harvard study and other research.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I just buy a new reader when I feel like buying one and it fits into the budget. It's always been more of a "want" than a "need" thing. New toy, reward for myself, curiosity, looking for a new experience. Those kinds of reasons.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The wiki doesn't address dose, which is obviously important. I have found no data on adverse effects of light temperature in frontlit eink readers. The infamous iPad study found that two hours of reading an iPad on maximum brightness was needed to show a very modest influence on sleep.

I like an adjustable light temperature reader just because I like it (aesthetically/comfortwise), but I'm yet to be convinced that eink readers are a prominent source of damaging blue light, especially when brightness is sensibly adjusted.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
The infamous iPad study found that two hours of reading an iPad on maximum brightness was needed to show a very modest influence on sleep.
Wow. I can't imagine setting the brightness all the way up for normal use. The only time I use full brightness is when I use my iPad Pro to watch baseball while sitting outside, or watching videos from a few feet away. Full brightness at a normal reading distance would be blindingly bright.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Approptiate time to upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen!

I have the latest gen PW (black text on front) and feeling an itch to get a new ereader. Have been looking at the Oasis 2 and the Aura One HD. I had a Glo HD in the past but never could stand Kobo's pricing and I really like a LOT of indie authors on the kindle ecosystem. The ONE thing I am on the fence about is the red light feature on the kobo! I read mainly at night and this feature is really interesting to me. Should I keep on with my PW or go ahead and get a newer ereader? Money isn't a concern, just kind of want a new toy for some reason.

If you like indie authors, I'd either stick with Amazon or expect to clean Amazon purchases of DRM.

I own a Kobo Aura ONE and love it, but I haven't done a lot of indie author reading, and for ebooks from major publishers, prices are generally the same whether from Amazon or Kobo, so I'm fine with the Kobo store.

I also recently purchased the Kindle Oasis 2 and that might be a good compromise for you. The screen appears a mellow off white, and has been fine to read with at night. It's reasonably comparable to the early evening tint of my Aura ONE before it goes orange yellow in the late evening. I took advantage of the trade-in deal where you get 25% off the price of a new device + your trade-in credit.

The downside is that I hate the form factor of the Oasis2. The Kobo is still my preferred reader, but the larger screen of the Oasis 2 is more pleasant than my Voyage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:24 AM   #11
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
For me, it's when a new device comes along with a feature that really enhances my reading experience.

I upgraded from my Sony PRS 505 to a Nook because I needed a built in dictionary. Most recently I bought a Kobo Mini because of the Pocket integration and small form factor.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #12
cane
Enthusiast
cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3,Kindle Oasis 2016,2022 Basic kindle
Kobo Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
For me, it's when a new device comes along with a feature that really enhances my reading experience.

I upgraded from my Sony PRS 505 to a Nook because I needed a built in dictionary. Most recently I bought a Kobo Mini because of the Pocket integration and small form factor.
I use my Kobo Mini all the time put a 32Gb card in it works great!
cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #13
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
You can buy a Kobo Ereader. Get your books from amazon and download them in mobi format , you can then convert them to epub. You can do that through calibre , the only thing that is needed is an add-on to remove the drm of kindle books.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoim View Post
You can buy a Kobo Ereader. Get your books from amazon and download them in mobi format , you can then convert them to epub. You can do that through calibre , the only thing that is needed is an add-on to remove the drm of kindle books.
I dunno, to me, this seems like a lot of work. If I'm going to buy my books from Amazon, why not just buy a Kindle of some sort? Conversely, if you're going to buy a Kobo, why not use their eBook infrastructure as well (at least primarily)?

You can download your Amazon eBook purchases onto your hard drive and Calibre will manage them just fine.

On those rare occasions when I have to buy an ePub (or just plain want to for some reason), I just use my android tablet or smartphone for it. I'm not locked into anything, I get to read anything I want whenever I want.

I'm glad people take the time to make anti DRM software, and those who want to crack their eBooks should have the right to do so. I just don't see the added value behind it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
I dunno, to me, this seems like a lot of work. If I'm going to buy my books from Amazon, why not just buy a Kindle of some sort? Conversely, if you're going to buy a Kobo, why not use their eBook infrastructure as well (at least primarily)?
I did this for a year or so. I bought a few books from Kobo, but Amazon's universe is just plain better. If Kobo had a wireless transfer like the Kindle email option, I would have considered staying with Kobo.

I know it isn't difficult to connect via USB, but I prefer wireless transfer. Calibre and the content server make that very easy. Once Amazon released the new Oasis, I bought it and never considered the Kobo again.

The ability to have non-Amazon books also stored on Amazon is also a huge plus imo.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote