Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #121
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximalmobi7 View Post
I don't no exactly if that's the case in this matter or if python just doesn't not like my computer.
Pyinstaller 3.2 is buggy. I use Pyinstaller 3.3 nightly for compiling ExtractCoverThumbs.
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #122
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast
maximalmobi7 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle paperwhite 2, and android tablet 10.1 with Kindle app
Spoiler:
START of extracting cover thumbnails...
* Kindle_Users_Guide.azw3: skipped (cover present or overwriting not forced).
* ebook.azw8: PROCESSING COVER: DONE!
START of generating book page numbers (APNX files)...
* Generating APNX file for "The New Oxford American Dictionary_B0053VMNY2.azw"
! Book not found in extract_cover_thumbs_book_pages2.csv. Fast algorithm used...
Pages over limit in "E:/documents\The New Oxford American Dictionary_B0053VMNY2.azw" file. Unable to write apnx file...
FINISH of generating book page numbers (APNX files)...
FINISH of extracting cover thumbnails...

this part here, is that an error below? that the only thing I have an question about otherwise it works great.

Spoiler:
* Generating APNX file for "The New Oxford American Dictionary_B0053VMNY2.azw"
! Book not found in extract_cover_thumbs_book_pages2.csv. Fast algorithm used...
Pages over limit in "E:/documents\The New Oxford American Dictionary_B0053VMNY2.azw" file. Unable to write apnx file...

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-06-2016 at 05:34 PM.
maximalmobi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #123
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

also noticed it works in E:\documents but it fails to read the books if their in E:\documents\Sub Folders\ if you put either an kfx or azw8 in a subfolder inside documents, it can't read the files then? I just noticed it only reads them in E:\documents only? is that normal for this software?

Spoiler:
I was thinking if calibre was able to transfer our ebooks in either kfx or azw8 that this software could work for making icons but once it subfolders would the icon books be broken or still on the device and working with the ebooks?

it would be nice if their was an transfer plugin for azw8 and kfx, plus could be nice if you could use say this software ExtractCoverThumbs_win to use like an plugin in calibre to run it when transferring the files from calibre to our devices that just an idea any way.

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-06-2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #124
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
it only reads them in E:\documents only? is that normal for this software?
Yes, the program reads files only from the main documents directory.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #125
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

also does ExtractCoverThumbs work for generating icons under kindle on android tablets too? since I have both an kindle and an android 10.1 tablet that I have kindle app on it.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #126
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
it would be nice if their was an transfer plugin for azw8 and kfx, plus could be nice if you could use say this software ExtractCoverThumbs_win to use like an plugin in calibre to run it when transferring the files from calibre to our devices that just an idea any way.
I am not interested in developing it as calibre plugin.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #127
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
also does ExtractCoverThumbs work for generating icons under kindle on android tablets too?
I don't know. Probably not.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #128
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
The error explains the problem clearly. More over the APNX file is completely irrelevant for dictionaries
Old 10-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #129
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
I am not interested in developing it as calibre plugin.
is their anyone working on an transfer plugin for kfx and azw8 files at all, or do we need to wait for an new version of calibre that supports transferring of these files?

its nice to have an plugin that does the azw8 output and the kfx output, I already made the kfx output zip file work for me with azw8 output, but it doesn't help that calibre can't transfer the files at all. and an app to make icons for them.

its good to be able to convert them, but doesn't help the fact you have to still copy them manually to your devices, unless their an way to force calibre to be able to transfer the files that are outputted by this plugin that is, or wait for an new version of calibre that supports the transferring part, but then for that software to work for the icons you can't have calibre put them in subfolders like it likes to do for the rest of the files in azw3 and mobi format, since the app for generating icons can't handle subfolders, that would still be an problem for calibre.

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-04-2016 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added the fact the kfx output plugin can't get calibre to transfer the files yet correct to non-subfolder two generate icons
Old 10-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #130
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:
The error explains the problem clearly. More over the APNX file is completely irrelevant for dictionaries
that's fine, then I was just wondering about it then I was thinking about the fact it didn't download any type of book icon for the dictionarie in the first place, plus then I think they have DRM in the dictionaries maybe anyway, plus

also I was just wondering why the software just doesn't skip over these files, then it sees them. but that ok anyway
Old 10-19-2016, 03:26 AM   #131
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Updated my Kindle Voyage to latest firmware (5.8.5) and for whatever reason a book I created in Sigil (it has a cover and passes all ebook authoring checks) now refuses to show up in Cover view. I converted the epub to KFX format using jhowell's excellent plugin and placed the file in the ../documents folder. The extractcoverthumbs tool tells me it extracted the cover and everything went fine but no cover shows up. What's weird is that files (also KFX) that I downloaded to the Kindle before the update still show covers. Could be that the firmware update changed something. FYI, these are books that aren't available at Amazon and were scanned.
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:38 AM   #132
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
Updated my Kindle Voyage to latest firmware (5.8.5) and for whatever reason a book I created in Sigil (it has a cover and passes all ebook authoring checks) now refuses to show up in Cover view. I converted the epub to KFX format using jhowell's excellent plugin and placed the file in the ../documents folder. The extractcoverthumbs tool tells me it extracted the cover and everything went fine but no cover shows up. What's weird is that files (also KFX) that I downloaded to the Kindle before the update still show covers. Could be that the firmware update changed something. FYI, these are books that aren't available at Amazon and were scanned.
I've checked thumbnail creation process in my Oasis with the latest firmware 5.8.5. No problem at all. All thumbnails are visible. I suspect that the problem is in your book. Check in Kindle Previewer if cover is properly set up:

Old 10-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #133
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I've checked thumbnail creation process in my Oasis with the latest firmware 5.8.5. No problem at all. All thumbnails are visible. I suspect that the problem is in your book. Check in Kindle Previewer if cover is properly set up:
I think the update change some permission or some folder structure or something. I'm not knowledgeable enough about such things. I had previously uploaded the exact same book to my Kindle PW2 (pre-5.8.5 firmware) and the book and cover showed up fine after running ExtractCoverThumbs on it. I also went ahead and upgraded the firmware to 5.8.5 on the Kindle PW2 and the book and cover still show up. The problem is after adding the book to a Kindle with firmware 5.8.5 (the newest firmware) that I can't get the cover to show up. Tried removing, restarting the Kindle and re-adding the book. Again this is a KFX format book, not .mobi or *.azw3, etc.

Edit: I can verify that the thumbnail JPEG for the book is in the hidden thumbnail folder but for whatever reason the thumbnail is not displayed.

2nd Edit: Hehe. Apparently the trade paperback edition of the book has a thumbnail on Amazon and an accompanying ASIN number that begins with the letter "B" so I just used that as the ASIN and now the Kindle uses that as the thumbnail. Go figure. Still would be nice to figure out why the thumbnail refuses to show when using unique ASIN generated by jhowell's KFX plugin.

Last edited by HowlerX; 10-19-2016 at 07:15 PM.
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #134
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
Updated my Kindle Voyage to latest firmware (5.8.5) and for whatever reason a book I created in Sigil (it has a cover and passes all ebook authoring checks) now refuses to show up in Cover view. I converted the epub to KFX format using jhowell's excellent plugin and placed the file in the ../documents folder. The extractcoverthumbs tool tells me it extracted the cover and everything went fine but no cover shows up.
I am having the same problem with cover thumbnails for sideloaded KFX books on my PW2 running the new 5.8.5 firmware. I did some testing and it seems that with the new kindle firmware sideloaded KFX books marked as personal documents do not show cover thumbnails even if the proper image is in place on the kindle. The kindle's internal log shows the error:

Quote:
CoverArtServiceImpl:DownloadCoverArtFailed:reason= nonAmazonContent,asin=...
I will have to do some more testing to see if I can find a reasonable workaround for this problem.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #135
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I will have to do some more testing to see if I can find a reasonable workaround for this problem.

What about marking the file as EBOK during converting with fake ASIN?

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk