Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #31
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Now that I've finished the hardback "Track of the Cat" (another series entirely) which came Saturday, I'll try Aubry/Maturin again. I wasn't so much getting bogged down in the nautical details, as not finding much else there besides them. I'll try a bit longer.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #32
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Now that I've finished the hardback "Track of the Cat" (another series entirely) which came Saturday, I'll try Aubry/Maturin again. I wasn't so much getting bogged down in the nautical details, as not finding much else there besides them. I'll try a bit longer.
Curious. How far into the book did you get? I found that things didn't get going until the second half of the book. While I enjoyed the book, I think his later novels were better. In the end, if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #33
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Publisher Tor has a re-read of the Aubrey/Maturin novels on their site, hosted by author Jo Walton. Don't look at them before finishing each novel as they are full of spoillers. I love her insights.

http://www.tor.com/series/re-reading...aturin-series/
Old 07-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #34
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Thanks for that link, Jerry. I'll add it to the resources post. With appropriate warnings.

Last edited by CRussel; 07-11-2016 at 01:30 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #35
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
I suspect most of us have a predilection for the first narrator we tried. I'm with you, Jerry, in that I gave my loyalty to Vance and couldn't be converted to Tull, although I did give him a try.
I agree w/Issybird, both about preferring the first narrator we try and about Vance (my first narrator of the series) over Tull. As I told Issy, I tried reading the series years ago and only finished M&C. I think I got about half way through Post Captain before giving up. It wasn't until I listened to Vance's reading of the first book that I became hooked. His talent with various accents just brought characters to life for me in a way that the written word couldn't. I also found the nautical jargon easier to understand when listening rather than reading. Happily, my library's Overdrive collection included the entire series read by Vance, so I binged listened to all 20 (and a half if you count the unfinished novel) over the course of six months.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in the series but having difficulty in getting hooked on reading M&C to look into audiobook options. While I prefer Vance, I know there are many ardent fans of Tull. There are a few other readers out there as well (Chichester, Jerom, Piggot-Smith). You probably can't go wrong with any audio version.

Last edited by ElspethB; 07-14-2016 at 08:16 AM.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #36
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Publisher Tor has a re-read of the Aubrey/Maturin novels on their site, hosted by author Jo Walton. Don't look at them before finishing each novel as they are full of spoillers. I love her insights.
I was going to suggest that site, too, Jerry. Whenever I finished listening to one of the novels during my recent binge, I would look forward to reading her write-ups and the comments from other readers about that book.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I would encourage anyone who is interested in the series but having difficulty in getting hooked on reading M&C to look into audiobook options. While I prefer Vance, I know there are many ardent fans of Tull. There are a few other readers out there as well (Chichester, Jerom, Piggot-Smith). You probably can't go wrong with any audio version.
I couldn't agree more. This series comes alive in the audio versions. For one thing, the nautical detail sort of slides past somehow when you're listening to it. I know I first listened to M&C in the 80's, on BoT, and only later bought the books. Reading them was a joy, but in part because I could hear them as I read them. Though I do think the innate humour comes out a bit better in the reading, but that may well be personal.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just bought M&C today and started on it. It's great so far - I'm into chapter three or four already.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #39
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I was about to comment (but thought I ought to read a bit further first) that I like thrillers, and hate Dickens for being too wordy with nothing happening. (Ditto to Jane Eyre, etc). I think that may be what's happening with Master and Commander. it's more wordy and slow.

So far, we've attached or saved 3 other ships, and Maturin has just had his private remenisence(sp?) with the other Irish chap, while minding the "other" ship.

I'll try a bit more before quitting.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post
Sounds like fun. I read these some years ago but couldn't bring myself to finish the last one or two; I didn't want it to end. I'll at least try to give them a re-skim to refresh my memory.

The friend who got me into these had great advice: Just let all the nautical details wash over you. Don't let them bog you down. Worked a charm for me.
Hello, Twitchly!

As an aside, Twitchly is the friend who forced encouraged me to read these books. And I'm forever grateful! I can also attest to the excellence of her friend's advice, which she passed along to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I liked M&C when I read it, but listening to the second book, Post Captain, was better still. It was my very first audiobook and I haven't looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I was about to comment (but thought I ought to read a bit further first) that I like thrillers, and hate Dickens for being too wordy with nothing happening. (Ditto to Jane Eyre, etc). I think that may be what's happening with Master and Commander. it's more wordy and slow.
In the end, we like what we like. I'm sorry if O'Brian hasn't managed to seduce you, but kudos to you for giving it a try.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #41
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I didn't re-read the first two books, but took up where I left off a couple of years ago with H.M.S. Surprise. I loved it and am now halfway through the Mauritius Command .

I'm not sure why I had a hard time with Post Captain. Maybe there was too much to do with land-based machinations where Aubrey is a fish out of water.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #42
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I'm not sure why I had a hard time with Post Captain. Maybe there was too much to do with land-based machinations where Aubrey is a fish out of water.
It's a big rambling book that seems to take forever to get going. That said, I still enjoyed it as it introduces some pretty important characters. M&C finished and about two chapters into Post Captain.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #43
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
... as it introduces some pretty important characters.
You could say that!

It also thoroughly introduces us to the very different Jack on land v. Jack at sea.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #44
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Hello, everyone! Time to start thinking about Post Captain, the second in the series. I won't start a thread for it until mid-September, but if you want to get a copy from the library, a bit of advanced planning is recommended.

A list of available sites to purchase or borrow these books, in multiple formats, is in Post 2 of this thread.

Based on my experiences with Master & Commander, I'll be doing my reading by combining the eBook and Audible (Patrick Tull) versions. But if you're getting your audio versions from the Library, you also have the excellent Simon Vance versions. (Or, if you were smart like issybird and bought them all when they were on sale and still available.) For those of you using the UK Audible site, I think your only choice is the Ric Jerome version.

Tags
aubrey/maturin, book club, o'brian