Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #916
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder View Post
The 'grid' option, as well as 'cbox' (with s qualifier), are not playing well with the -rt 90 option to rotate the output to landscape mode. The text lines seem to get cut-off & redistributed among adjacent pages. If I remove the -rt 90 option to rotate to landscape, hoping to do it in another pass, the output is somewhat squarish, with the same length as well as width, not a good candidate for landscape, will need another split, or will leave huge margins on the side when rotated.
It helps if you send examples of exact command lines so that I can see precisely what you did (and in what order you put the command-line parameters, since that is sometimes important, e.g. when specifying multiple crop boxes). I'm glad you're trying lots of options, though. That's how you figure things out.

I think the main issue is that -rt 90 isn't really intended for what you're using it for. It is intended to be used for source files which are incorrectly in landscape mode (e.g. if when you view them on a standard PC reader they come up sideways). That is, it rotates the source file before doing any other processing. So if you have an 8.5 x 11-inch source file, it will be rotated and treated as if it is now an 11 x 8.5-inch source file by all the other processing. That means your grid argument now has to be 2x1x5 instead of 1x2x5. Similarly, your -cbox arguments need to change. Fortunately, there's a much simpler option, which is to use -ls rather than -rt 90. This acts as if you want to turn your reader on its side to read the document, so it fits the source file to the sideways (or landscape) dimensions of your e-reader screen and turns the output page on its side. That's what you want to be using instead of -rt 90. (The -ls option is turned on by default when you use -mode fw).
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #917
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:

EDIT: I'm pretty happy with the default fit width conversion with k2pdfopt. The split into two pages exactly is just something extra to have, so that I can be aware of the page boundaries, since I've already removed the margins including page numbers in briss.

I also saw the option -bp & instead of fit width, tried to specify '-bp -f2p 2', '-bp -f2p 2 -col 1', along with '-rt 90' but its creating even more issues (horizontal text split across adjacent pages, or only rotation with the original page being moved to the right in landscape keeping the left half empty) rather than solving the existing ones.

EDIT 2: PM sent.

Jp
When using -grid 1x2x2 command, you should use it in copy "conversion mode", not in other "conversion modes" (trim, default, fitpage, fitwidth) if you want the page and boundaries to remain as they are after cropping the page in half.

Also check "rotate to landscape" box if uncheked, and if correct -w and -h width/hight size for your reader is showed there in the field.

First picture: -grid command used in copy conversion mode; the whole width of the page selected for rotation to landscape (both red frames stretched maximally)

Second picture: -grid command used in default or fitpage/fitwidth/trim "conversion mode"; just text proper will be selected when possible (second red frame), so no boundaries will be visible after rotation to landscape.

To be able to see (in preview window or in pdf file) how k2pdfopt interprets the page (those red frames) you should check "generate marked-up source" box.

Last edited by markom; 10-02-2014 at 12:54 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #918
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
You guys are worth your weight in gold.

Will:

Replacing -rt 90 with -ls did the trick.

After much trial & error, I guess the default fit width is the best bet. Using this, sometimes the diagrams get cut off, but its the best option for text (that's what books are for, right?). I tried to play around with the grid option, it is good for the diagrams, but not so for the continuity of text. With/without specifying the output size for my M96, & due in part to the inefficiently/over-zealously cropped margins in briss, I think it struggles to fill the pages with the available content & leaves empty space at the bottom of the page (if viewed in output landscape mode). Just not worth the trouble. I'll just leave the thinking to k2pdfopt.

Mark:

M96 software is still a work in progress. Its default reader allows full screen landscape mode but has a lot of lags (5-10 seconds or more) while switching pages even in the latest software version, & sometimes garbles/eats up page contents altogether. Other apps like ezPDF are better, but then they don't turn pages with buttons/d-pad in landscape & need to move the page with stylus, or need elaborate workarounds like a precise zoom, assigning volume keys for page flip & then work perfectly. Phew!

All-in-all I guess conversion to landscape using k2pdf & then asking M96's native viewer to treat it as normal portrait is the most efficient compromise.

Jp
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #919
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All-in-all I guess conversion to landscape using k2pdf & then asking M96's native viewer to treat it as normal portrait is the most efficient compromise.

Jp
Also, if we stumble upon pdf that it takes more than 2-3 of seconds to turn the next page in portraite (because of used demanding compression to make it smaller) or ages just to open it, then we should uncheck "native pdf output" box, so that k2pdfopt renders it as bitmap.

We'll get a lot bigger pdf e.g. 50 MB instead of original 5 MB, but a lot quicker one to render and flip through on ereader.

e.g. pdfs from archive.org

https://archive.org/details/TheAdven...mSawyer_201303

Last edited by markom; 10-02-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #920
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Can I have Huckleberry Finn please...
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #921
markom
Banned

Quote:
Can I have Huckleberry Finn please...
If you do find it and it turns out to be as problematic for opening as Tom Sawyer, you can also download djvu file and open it in free DjView 4.9 (or earlier) djvu reader and save it (export it quickly) as pdf, or open it in k2pdfopt and save it using copy mode.

Result is similar i.e. 10-20 x bigger pdf bitmap.

These are two (free and quick) ways to optimize(turning into bitmap) slow-to-open-or-browse pdf's for reading in ereaders and tablets.

We can also easily read those archive.org djvu files directly on Kindles (KPV reader, KOReader) using all zooming options as available for pdfs, or on tablets like iPad using good free djvu readers.

And last but not the least, we can use k2pdfopt to optimize those djvu files as we would pdfs.
To be able to see and add djvu files to k2pdfopt after pressing Add-File button, we should select all-files or djvu instead of pdf, in drop-down list on the bottom.

Last edited by markom; 10-03-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #922
agelos100
Enthusiast
agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle
k2pdfopt crops chapter number

Hello Willus,

I have a minor problem. Please consider input and output files I have attached.

The chapter number at the top of the page has been removed.

Any suggestions?

Friendly regards,

Angelos
Attached Files
File Type: pdf input.pdf (32.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: pdf input_k2opt.pdf (29.0 KB, 200 views)
agelos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #923
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelos100 View Post
Hello Willus,

I have a minor problem. Please consider input and output files I have attached.

The chapter number at the top of the page has been removed.

Any suggestions?
It worked for me when I used this command:

k2pdfopt -mode fw -dev kpw -ls- input.pdf

See attached. What exact options did you use?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf input_k2opt.pdf (29.0 KB, 202 views)
Old 10-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #924
agelos100
Enthusiast
agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle
Hello Willus

I have win 7 and k2pdfopt v.2.21.

I have used:

-dev kpw -mode fw -ls-

and additional option -gtr 0.1

The last additional option makes the problem.
agelos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #925
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelos100 View Post
I have win 7 and k2pdfopt v.2.21.

I have used:

-dev kpw -mode fw -ls-

and additional option -gtr 0.1

The last additional option makes the problem.
That makes sense. It actually happens at -gtr 0.06 (-gtr 0.05 is okay). At that point, you are allowing enough black on the line scans that the chapter number essentially becomes invisible to k2pdfopt when it is scanning for rows of text, so it gets ignored. This is part of the trade when selecting the -gtr value.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #926
GOODMAN
GOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: onyx m92
Dear Willus
i have only one request. kindly add -add folder option iincluding sub folder in GUI with add files option please.

That makes the program more useful.

Last edited by GOODMAN; 10-10-2014 at 02:56 PM.
GOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #927
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODMAN View Post
... kindly add -add folder option iincluding sub folder in GUI with add files option please...
I have added your request to my list of feature requests. It should be easy to do. In the mean time, you can drag a folder to the "File list" area and it will work.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #928
baileyjanet2001
baileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbaileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbaileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbaileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbaileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbaileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbaileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbaileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbaileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbaileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbaileyjanet2001 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Dear Willus,
I bought the Kindle Paperwhite because I wanted to save my eyes while reading large amounts of electronic text. I'm an over-50 grad student and did not know that e-readers aren't the best choice for reading pdfs, so I was thrilled to read about converting pdfs with k2pdfopt. Unfortunately, every time I try to download the program, I get an error message, "Download ended."
Can you please help?
Janet Bailey
baileyjanet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #929
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyjanet2001 View Post
... every time I try to download the program, I get an error message, "Download ended." ...
Janet -- What type are you trying to download (Win64, Win32, OSX, etc)? What browser are you using? Do you have a slow connection?

PS. I sent you a private message.

Last edited by willus; 10-11-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 10-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #930
GOODMAN
GOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGOODMAN can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: onyx m92
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
I have added your request to my list of feature requests. It should be easy to do. In the mean time, you can drag a folder to the "File list" area and it will work.
Thank you very much genius. I admire your quick action.
GOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools