Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Anyone Doing Nano?

It's that time of year again. I'll probably get started on nano at the beginning of November and see how things go. I really want to finish a first draft, which is like pulling teeth!

There was a literary week in B'ham recently; I attended a workshop regarding "The Gothic" in fiction. While in the 'powder room' I mentioned nanowrimo to a woman who'd been sitting near me during the workshop, asking if she'd be participating. She looked at me as though I'd asked if she was going to play in a sandpit, or do finger-painting! Seemed to regard it as beneath contempt.

I realise many of the participants are teenagers writing poor YA fiction, but I'm sure that's not universally the case.

So, NanoWriMo anyone?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Maybe, when I've accumulated a bit more experience I'll give it a whirl. But at this point, I'm still stumbling around.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Maybe, when I've accumulated a bit more experience I'll give it a whirl. But at this point, I'm still stumbling around.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
So, NanoWriMo anyone?
Nah, that's work. I would much rather talk about writing then, you know, actually write.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Not my thing. Giving myself a deadline is not my idea of fun ... although, at the moment, the end result of this is not far from what rcentros said.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J

I remember a time . . . That makes me sound so old! . . . when nanowrimo was more popular on MR. Maybe, like me, you've tried it before and found the experience exhausting. That's why I'm just going to start nano and see how it goes, rather than commit myself to the whole month.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Take heart, it's not so long ago, BookCat.

I've never done it. I've never been competitive, nor much of a group inspiration sort of person. I was one of those kids with a report card saying something like "doesn't play well with others".

Please don't let our lack of enthusiasm put you off. It may be just what you need, only giving it a good try will really tell. (It may even be what I need ... oh well.)

Best of luck with it!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Nah, that's work. I would much rather talk about writing then, you know, actually write.

One thing I've learned is, talking about what you are GOING to write, is an excellent emotional substitute for actually writing. I've since clammed up, if that book is coming out, it's coming out the hard way!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Take heart, it's not so long ago, BookCat.

I've never done it. I've never been competitive, nor much of a group inspiration sort of person. I was one of those kids with a report card saying something like "doesn't play well with others".

Please don't let our lack of enthusiasm put you off. It may be just what you need, only giving it a good try will really tell. (It may even be what I need ... oh well.)

Best of luck with it!
Thanks for the encouragement. The group enthusiasm gives me a kick up the bum and helps me to get writing.

Glen, that sounds painful, I'm sure you can get something from the doc for that.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Glen, that sounds painful, I'm sure you can get something from the doc for that.
There's an app for that!
Old 10-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Well, you know where to put it!
Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I remember a time . . . That makes me sound so old! . . . when nanowrimo was more popular on MR. ...
I'm sorry about my comments. I was just attempting to be funny — though I really don't have any desire to try to write a novel in a month. For me it just wouldn't work.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #13
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Well, I was considering it. I was thinking about trying to finish the fourteen (14!) currently unfinished short stories I've got but then I had a scathingly brilliant (for me) idea for a new story and madly outlined it.

But, now that I look at the outline I realise that I shouldn't write outlines after I've had a can of coke. All that sugar obviously does weird things to my brain. And not in a good way.

So I'm back to the original "perhaps I could try to finish some of the WIPs before the rapture" plan.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:34 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm sorry about my comments. I was just attempting to be funny — though I really don't have any desire to try to write a novel in a month. For me it just wouldn't work.
That's okay, nothing you said offended me in any way.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #15
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
Well, I was considering it. I was thinking about trying to finish the fourteen (14!) currently unfinished short stories I've got but then I had a scathingly brilliant (for me) idea for a new story and madly outlined it.

But, now that I look at the outline I realise that I shouldn't write outlines after I've had a can of coke. All that sugar obviously does weird things to my brain. And not in a good way.

So I'm back to the original "perhaps I could try to finish some of the WIPs before the rapture" plan.
I'm aiming to finish a WIP, rather than starting from scratch. Apparently this is no longer considered being a rebel.
So go ahead and complete some of your stories.

Tags
attitude, nanowrimo, november