Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Breed92014
Enthusiast
Breed92014 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre doesn't recognize .azw3 books

I just purchased and downloaded a book "A Matter of Honor" by Jeffrey Archer and was surprised to see that calibre didn't recognize it. I see that it is an .azw3 book, but am not sure what that means.

Do the folks at calibre have any plans for supporting .az3 books?

Thanks much for your reply!
Breed92014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The .azw3 extension is for KF8 ebooks. Calibre does support these, since version 0.8.42. However, it (or perhaps 3rd party DRM-stripping plugins - make sure these are up to date if you are using them) may not recognize .azw3 as a "known" extension. If you rename to .mobi (or .azw), before import Calibre should handle it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Interesting. I've not run into any AZW3 KF8 books. All the KF8s I've come across have simply been AZW. Are the AZW3s being downloaded directly to Kindle devices or perhaps downloads to a PC from a user's library? The ones delivered to the Kindle apps seem to all be AZW. Just wondering if there's some sort of consistent rule here that can be determined?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Interesting. I've not run into any AZW3 KF8 books. All the KF8s I've come across have simply been AZW. Are the AZW3s being downloaded directly to Kindle devices or perhaps downloads to a PC from a user's library? The ones delivered to the Kindle apps seem to all be AZW. Just wondering if there's some sort of consistent rule here that can be determined?
I downloaded to my PC from Amazon for USB transfer with a Kindle Fire as the target and got an .azw3. As you say, the same ebook (also KF8) accessed via K4PC still has the .azw extension.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks. Just curious. I don't have a device that I can download for that's KF8 capable, so that explains why I haven't come across one.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Breed92014
Enthusiast
Breed92014 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The .azw3 extension is for KF8 ebooks. Calibre does support these, since version 0.8.42. However, it (or perhaps 3rd party DRM-stripping plugins - make sure these are up to date if you are using them) may not recognize .azw3 as a "known" extension. If you rename to .mobi (or .azw), before import Calibre should handle it.
Thanks for your help. Updating my plugins did the trick. I still would like for calibre to recognize the .azw3 extension, though, as it is an extra step to have to rename it to .azw before importing.
Breed92014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote