Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
OverTwo
Enthusiast
OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is the Nook heavy?

Hi all.

I want 2 ereaders so I'm thinking about buying the Nook, I'm just wondering is it too heavy to be holding for long periods of time?

Thanks!
OverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
For someone of average strength and stamina? No, it's just fine, though heavier than the Kindle. I never had any problems with it while I was still stealing (er, borrowing) the s.other's nook. For someone with bad arthritis or particular muscle weakness I suppose it could be a little too heavy. I'd say it's a little heavier than a normal mass market paperback, but noticeably lighter than a hardcover.

Edit: I was assuming you were talking about the classic nook. The nook color is definitely heavier, but I've not spent much time with one.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
nook classic weighs as much as a 400 page trade paperback
nook color weighs as much as a 200 page hardcover

if you have or had no problems reading them for hours then the nook is just fine.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
If you are talking about Nook Color and comparing against Kindle 3, for example, it is heavy. For a short reading session probably you won't notice it but holding it with one hand or even two for a long period of time will tire your wrist a bit. The Nook Color is almost a pound while Kindle 3 only 0.53.

Nook classic is not as heavy as Nook Color but heavier than Kindle 3. I personally did not find uncomfortable holding it for a long reading session but prefer the Kindle.

You should visit an electronic store close to you, it will give a real idea of how heavy or not the device is for you. Bring your current device if you can, it helps a lot and you will be able to compare both.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
To elaborate on boswd's point above, hold both types of books closed and you'll get a feeling of what it feels like to hold either device. Both are heavier than the kindle and some other eBook readers, but the weight isn't significant.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
No, unless you are a T-Rex, then your tiny arms might be able to handle it...and you might scratch the screen
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
OverTwo
Enthusiast
OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
You should visit an electronic store close to you, it will give a real idea of how heavy or not the device is for you. Bring your current device if you can, it helps a lot and you will be able to compare both.
I would love to do this but I'm in Canada, the Nook is only available online unfortunately.
OverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
indisen
indisen began at the beginning.

Device: nook classic
I have the original nook (not color). I find it too heavy to hold comfortably for extended periods, but it's easy for me to prop up on my lap. It weighs about 3/4 lb. or 340-350 grams.
indisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indisen View Post
I have the original nook (not color). I find it too heavy to hold comfortably for extended periods, but it's easy for me to prop up on my lap. It weighs about 3/4 lb. or 340-350 grams.
the nook classic is too heavy? Egads what did you do before the advent of ereaders? The thing weighs 11 oz's, the weight of a paper back.

Did you your read uncomfortable your entire life?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Did you your read uncomfortable your entire life?
What is so strange about that? Many of us actually DO have problems holding "heavy" items, like books. And therefor have not been able to read as much as we would have liked.
(That is another reason I love my little Sony: The light weight makes it easy to read in places where I would have difficulties handling a book. Like in bed.)

I would suggest you read up on the specs of the Nook, make a "model" in cardboard or something, as near the right size and weight as possible (put a piece of cardbord in a bag and put something else in ther to the right weight.
Now pretend to read and see how you feel about it.

Of course it would be great if you could try it out, cause itäs not just about weight and size, it's the overall ergonomy if it fits you or not.

I totally understand why someone would worry. While a few ounces here or there may not matter much to most people, for some it certainly does!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
BecomingMe
BecomingMe is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
This is a great question...I bought the Nook(classic) precisely because it allowed me to read again without pain (I have pretty severe inflammatory arthritis, AS actually, akin to RA, oh and I'm kinda young too)...I wanted the colour, but that was too heavy...but I weighed all the options, and I liked the features of the Nook classic, and the weight...and now, I've been reading more books in one month than in the last few years of this last flare (it's been bad), and you can find some info here too:

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/bo...s-a-must-have/

Aswi, Thank you for your response...sometimes I don't think that other's realize what issues some must face as they don't face them themselves, and it's all to easy to judge...

bowsd, to answer your question, I didn't read as often, and tried to find ways to read (ie prop books on pillows, because I could not hold them), so many times I had to do without. And luckily no, I did not have to do this my entire life, just when I started flaring which was about 2007...some days are better than others...this is why I am very glad that such devices are out...I'm over the moon really woohoo for my nook!!!!!!

Last edited by BecomingMe; 02-21-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: added more info
BecomingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I wouldn't call the nook heavy--but it is heavier than other readers out there. I have a nook and a Sony 650. The nook is definitely heavier than the Sony 650, but I wouldn't call it uncomfortably heavy.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I wouldn't call the nook heavy--but it is heavier than other readers out there. I have a nook and a Sony 650. The nook is definitely heavier than the Sony 650, but I wouldn't call it uncomfortably heavy.

dordale
yeah i think alot of people get that mixed up a bit, my pen is heavier than my pencil but that doesn't make my pen heavy.

I don't know