Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #61
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
I can recommend Sony DPT-S1 for general purpose PDF reading and some note taking(i just don't have much need for notes). Just a fantastic PDF only ereader.

Again, if your eyes can handle prolonged exposure, use iPad, it is cheaper and more responsive.

Unfortunately, I like some others can not use iPad for prolonged reading.

It's funny I can even read in total darkness with Kobo Aura H20 set to 70% front-light, but back light LCD based tablets (iPad Air, Nook HD, etc etc) give me massive eyestrain.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
It's funny I can even read in total darkness with Kobo Aura H20 set to 70% front-light, but back light LCD based tablets (iPad Air, Nook HD, etc etc) give me massive eyestrain.
That makes no sense. How can you read with the front light that bright but not read on an iPad?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #63
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
JSWolf, I was surprised too that I could read in darkness with no apparent ill effects.

People's eyes react differently to different screens.

I can and do read on iPad for a little bit, but again it is quite uncomfortable for longer book reading.

I suspect the difference is that the front light is somehow more diffused due to reflection from the back plate while backlight based LCDs you get the light directly.

It is like the difference between reading with your reading lamp shining directly in your eyes and being pointed at a wall.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
I suspect the difference is that the front light is somehow more diffused due to reflection from the back plate while backlight based LCDs you get the light directly.

It is like the difference between reading with your reading lamp shining directly in your eyes and being pointed at a wall.
You don't "get the light directly". Modern LCD screens are "edge-lit", and the screen is illuminated via a light-guide which evens out the light intensity. So just like the lamp being pointed at a wall, to use your analogy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #65
sonict72
Enthusiast
sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I suffer from LCD eyestrain issues. I cannot stand flickering LCD screens. I cannot read any more than 10 min on any LCD screen. I own dozens of Eink devices including Boox M96 because of it. Until now. I have recently purchased Samsung TabPro S with Amoled screen. With black background and dim white letters, I no longer have any eyestrain issues. I still get eyestrain with normal white background with black letters. The screen does not flicker but it is too bright and contrastry for reading. Anyway, I no longer use any of my Eink devices. Eink is still better for reading, but not by much. That's just my experience. I am so glad I will no longer be purchasing overpriced and underpowered Eink devices that cannot do half the things that I needed it to do. For me, Eink is dead. I've found a good enough solution. Yes, I wrote this message from my OLED device. Can your Eink device do that? Without pulling your hair out?
sonict72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, onyx boox