Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
On Deck is not working...

My Fire HD8 (2017) mostly just sits in its Show Dock these days. It has been weeks since I picked it up and did anything with it, and at that time it was pulling down On Deck video content. (Have 64GB SD card and it is set to download there) But I was not watching any of it.

Last night I thought I’d check for updates (indeed ‘5.3.6.4’ and a few component updates were waiting). I checked Downloaded content: nothing there. Checked again today: still nothing. I turned it off and then back on again, and will see if that did anything.

Just curious if this is a feature you use and if it works as expected.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
on deck is an option that you can toggle ON or off, ( I think from within the prime video app) . maybe you, or a recent update, turned it off ? or maybe it does not work in show mode? ask amazon.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:17 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
on deck is an option that you can toggle ON or off, ( I think from within the prime video app) . maybe you, or a recent update, turned it off ? or maybe it does not work in show mode? ask amazon.
Yes, I checked the setting and it is enabled. There is no reason that I can think of that Show mode should interfere (if there is one, then it is a poorly implemented feature).

I was just curious to know if it is working for anyone. I probably should try the forums on amazon.com, they’re probably more active about issues like this.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:29 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

as I recall - on deck only downloads when tablet is sleeping, maybe it does not" sleep" in show mode? an easy test is take it out of the dock, let it sleep in normal mode, see if anything downloads
Old 11-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
as I recall - on deck only downloads when tablet is sleeping, maybe it does not" sleep" in show mode? an easy test is take it out of the dock, let it sleep in normal mode, see if anything downloads
I am curious enough to try that when I have a chance. But if it works, it is a bug, IMO: it should be able to download on deck stuff in Show mode.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:01 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I am curious enough to try that when I have a chance. But if it works, it is a bug, IMO: it should be able to download on deck stuff in Show mode.
well FWIW, I got around to looking at show mode, on my 2017 Fire HD 10, I checked I have the correct + latest software. but with parental/purchase controls ON, it still blocks alexa and refuses to even offer the show mode option until i disable ALL my safety controls.

so they can keep it - I am looking into google home +screen devices instead which are much more child safe.

some better news: I linked our alexa echo to fire TV and that works well
I can say alexa open netflix/plex/i player/you tube and it turns on my TV, selects source and launches the app. The youtube workaround has also improved. it remembers the choice of browser and so youtube.com app goes straight into youtube ( in firefox or Silk) with one tap

that should work on a show time mode tablet also ?

next up will be to see if I can get google photos to work in browser on a fire tablet that has not had google services etc side loaded
Old 11-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I turned it off along time ago and it seemed buggy. My tablet was overheating and use up the battery from all the downloading. After I turned it off the tablet seemed to run better at least to me it did. I don't know if I turned it off on hubby's Fire I forget. He seldom uses it. I'll have to check.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:14 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

i turned on deck off as its pointless. on a decent internet connection, I can download a show in a few minutes, any time I choose, either from amazon or from netflix.
& amazon are so fussy about allowing videos to stream offline, its not worth using for that scenario either.

your tablet should overheat from file download though - that is not at all taxing compared to say playing an action game
Old 11-20-2018, 12:55 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 6 and 7 KFs get super warm no matter what I am using. The 8 not so much. I call my HD7 my hand warmer.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:21 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard

ok - probably size related than - I have hd 8 & 10, both stay cool.

i recall that the 1st gen fire tv sticks ( which were smaller than current models) also got very hot

but still - a show or movie download does not stress the CPU [ or the GPU if it is not actually streaming] so should generate much less heat than playing games
Old 11-20-2018, 01:42 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
ok - probably size related than - I have hd 8 & 10, both stay cool.

i recall that the 1st gen fire tv sticks ( which were smaller than current models) also got very hot

but still - a show or movie download does not stress the CPU [ or the GPU if it is not actually streaming] so should generate much less heat than playing games
I own one of those sticks and they do get hot if plugged directly into the TV.

Just syncing the Kindle Fires 6 & 7 with the servers causes them to warm up quite a bit. I have a very large cloud library. I am constantly fighting with the Kindle app to work and getting the device to actually sync to the servers. I can't count how many times I had to do a factory reset just to get my content current or to get a book or content to download. Never have an issue on 2017 HD 8 though just my older ones.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:49 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

I assume you have checked for apps running in background, that may generate heat?
I have various greenery, battery monitor, CPU usage monitor apps but off the top of my head I can't say which work on fire with or without Google services and which are pure android only.
It is more likely that it has taken amazon a few generations to figure out how to reduce heat and also slim the design.
One heat culprit on some devices is the wifi regularly checking all ssid to see if it is still on strongest one. Figuring out how to disable such behaviour can help
Old 12-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

On Deck has started working again — I did not do anything other than ignore it.

Also the Continuous Scrolling option finally showed up, sometime in the last week.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:46 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

good to know - maybe amazon sneak installed a minor system update?. I read of a related change they were pushing to enable alexa drop-in connections on tablets in show mode. maybe other stuff got tweaked at the same time