Notices

Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
Arkadian
Connoisseur
Arkadian began at the beginning.

Device: none
Footnotes, why one per page?

Hi there,

I have my ebook, currently in LibreOffice, latest version, with a lot of footnotes. When I convert my DOCX into EPUB or MOBI the footnotes become endnotes (and that's fine), but they appear spread one per page. That means that my ebook, currently about 100 pages long, becomes 200+ pages long...
Is there a way to get the footnotes one after the next on the same page, so that only the minimum number of pages would be used (making it easier to browse them)?

In case it is useful, I am on a MAC running Mavericks and I am using the latest version of Calibre.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by Arkadian; 04-18-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Arkadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Arkadian
Connoisseur

Just realized I forgot to enclose a sample file... here is the original with some footnotes and the resulting epub file.
Is this the way it is supposed to work? And in any case, is it possible to list the footnotes/endnotes one after the other?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: epub test - Sconosciuto.epub (127.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: zip test - Sconosciuto.docx.zip (6.8 KB, 139 views)
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, it is the way it is supposed to work. I have explained why before on this forum a little searching will do the trick.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
Arkadian
Connoisseur

Hi there,

thanks for that.

Actually I did try to search the forum and I have read the documentation, but could find nothing on the matter. I suppose it is a matter of using the right keywords...
So, the question is... is it possible to change this behaviour if it is considered to be normal?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadian View Post
Actually I did try to search the forum and I have read the documentation, but could find nothing on the matter. I suppose it is a matter of using the right keywords...
Review this thread.

A sidenote when trying to find anything about calibre in this forum I go to Google then start the search with these two words mobileread calibre followed by the keywords I would like to search, example - docx epub footnotes. This usually gives me better results than using the Search this forum feature of the fourm.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
Arkadian
Connoisseur

Thanks DoctorOoh, you are right. I should have thought of that myself

Still... this is a feature that is a bit annoying, if anything from an aesthetic point of view. Also, as my book is not fiction, there is no surprise element and I think I would prefer to be able to scroll the footnotes one after the next.

Anyway, as I understand it is not possible, I will have to live with it Not a huge deal
Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Arkadian,
There is one option you could try - at least for epub. Once the docx has been converted to epub:
  • Open the epub in the calibre Editor
  • Select all the text files containing the endnotes (assuming they are consecutive) and merge them into one text file (Right-click - Merge selected text files)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Arkadian
Connoisseur

Hi Jackie:W, thanks for that. On the EPUB version it does seem to work.

Thanks a lot

Tags
endnotes, footnotes