Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Oily looking spot on Kindle shell that I can't clean

While waiting for a new case for my Kindle I tried to keep it safe but the last time I pulled it out of my bag it has this spot like it was from finger oils. However I can't remove it. I tried with water and carefully with hand sanitizer. It catches light in person and pulls my eye towards it. Is the finish possibly scratched off or do you have suggestions to try cleaning it?

I have legitimate OCD that makes me anxious wanting to clean it and it's not enjoyable for reading. I might have to get a cover that goes around the bezel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180406_201122.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	790.4 KB
ID:	163276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180406_201157.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	745.3 KB
ID:	163277  

Last edited by newkindlefun; 04-06-2018 at 02:26 PM.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
I put a skin from Decal Girl on mine so I wouldn’t see those spots. They drive me crazy too.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublincheri View Post
I put a skin from Decal Girl on mine so I wouldn’t see those spots. They drive me crazy too.
That seems to be in my future as well. Never bought a cover more expensive than 5 dollars so the decal girl is steep... Shipping to my country is as much as the decal. Gonna have to find some other reputable place in Europe. Kindle will be a paperweight until then. And it's less than one month old

Tried soap, shampoo, dish soap... It doesn't look like it's a scratch but I guess it is.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #4
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I would also recommend a Decal Girl skin. I have been using them for years, and now apply one whenever I acquire a new device.

There are dozens to choose from.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
newkindlefun
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
I would also recommend a Decal Girl skin. I have been using them for years, and now apply one whenever I acquire a new device.

There are dozens to choose from.
Thanks, I might have to bite the bullet but the price of shipping is giving me huge pause.

Can the bezel be bought and replaced?
Advert
Old 04-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
Thanks, I might have to bite the bullet but the price of shipping is giving me huge pause.

Can the bezel be bought and replaced?
I don't know, you'd have to talk to Amazon tech support; but if it is an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) bezel, it would be subject to the same staining that the bezel you now have is subject to. Replacing them with some regularity could get pretty expensive.

In all likelihood, you had something on your fingers that stained the bezel. And there is no guarantee that you won't have that problem in the future. In my opinion the Decal Girl skin seems the most cost effective solution, long term.

This just occurred to me, you might ask tech support what cleaners are used when they refurbish the devices. I've never heard of a refurbed Kindle coming with other people's hand prints on a refurb.

If your OCD will allow it, hiding the problem does make the most sense economically and logically, I think. Good luck!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
newkindlefun
Connoisseur

Aaahh they want to replace it. It was apparently bought and registered in the UK by my retailer and since it's under warranty I can get a free replacement mailed, but only to the UK. I'm not in the UK, but I can have it mailed to a friend, then mail back this Kindle.

Ha. Doesn't seem worth the hassle but it's tempting
Old 04-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
have you tried a gentle cleaner? I spray this light windex like spray on mine and let it sit a minute and whipe with no damage
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Maybe try just the tiniest amount of talc powder (baby powder) on the spot. Let it set for a bit, then brush it off, away from the screen.
Sometimes talcum powder will absorb oils.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Maybe try just the tiniest amount of talc powder (baby powder) on the spot. Let it set for a bit, then brush it off, away from the screen.
S
Or dry shampoo. spay on let it dry, brush off. same thing pretty much but less messey
Old 04-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Or dry shampoo. spay on let it dry, brush off. same thing pretty much but less messey
Really? I've never used it. I'll have to get a can to have around the house just for cleaning.
Thanks for the info!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
Aaahh they want to replace it. It was apparently bought and registered in the UK by my retailer and since it's under warranty I can get a free replacement mailed, but only to the UK. I'm not in the UK, but I can have it mailed to a friend, then mail back this Kindle.

Ha. Doesn't seem worth the hassle but it's tempting
It seems worth the hassle to me! The device is not up to your standards, it solves the problem with some finality!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Really? I've never used it. I'll have to get a can to have around the house just for cleaning.
Thanks for the info!
S
I never tried it but will just to see if it works

dry shampoo is usually talcum or rice something or rather that absorbs oils in your hair. you can get powder free dry shampoos to

UPDATE I just tried it on my nook and it worked! I did a light spray then let it sit a bit and whiped off

Last edited by HLS; 04-08-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
newkindlefun
Connoisseur

Quote:
have you tried a gentle cleaner? I spray this light windex like spray on mine and let it sit a minute and whipe with no damage
Quote:
S
Quote:
Tried all! No dice. It does, however, clean the back rubber, so there's that LPT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It seems worth the hassle to me! The device is not up to your standards, it solves the problem with some finality!
Yeah, but doesn't seem okay to ask for a new device for something I did (in my bag, I suppose) if the thing functions. Not something I'm used to. The retailer I bought it from in my country won't honor warranty for that and do an exchange (or any retailer here, in fact), but American companies are known to bend over backwards for customers even when they have no reason to. It's not something I'm used to, is all.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #15
HLS
Wizard

Odd I just tried the dry shampoo on my Kindle and Nook and worked great. No more oily spots,