Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of conspicuous physical books?
Books are estethically pleasing and I like to see them on bookshelves 30 56.60%
I have no option but to store books where I can see them 7 13.21%
Thank goodness we've gone digital! 11 20.75%
Other 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2022, 10:16 PM   #16
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
The majority of my childhood reading was from the church or public libraries, so owning books isn't part of my roots.

I spent my college years working in the library. Then a few years at a publishing house and bookstore, where I did get a bit of collecting bug. 9 moves involving 22 Waldenbooks cases cured me of that.

A healthy tech habit introduced me to Palm's Peanut Reader store and I shifted collecting to digital. The 22 cases of books are long gone.

And now I don't even collect ebooks. I've heavily culled my Calibre library of most freebies, and even many paid books I've passed over. I get the majority of my reading from Overdrive libraries.

My children prefer the physical versions, so we still visit the library and have many books in the house (including a complete World Book encyclopedia!), but they are used and loved, not "displayed."
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #17
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
My house is stuffed with physical books. The entire back wall of my living room is wall to wall books - 22x6.5 feet of them. It looks lovely, but our books are read, they are not for display. This was just the best way to store them. We have more than 1100 books in the house. This is mostly because my wife is just as much a reader as I am, but does not like e-reading.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:23 PM   #18
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
We have a 5th bedroom that I use as an office. It has 7 bookcases that extend from floor to ceiling. There are too many physical books that have yet to be produced in a digital edition. Math and physics books that I used as a grad student are irreplaceable. Film books like Screen World are very htf in mint condition. Most of my science fiction books are now available in epub or kindle format, but I like to keep the original paperbacks on the shelves since I don't like paying for a second copy of anything if I don't have to. The only exception are movies, which tend to improve over time due to remastering in a higher definition format.
Not everyone needs to keep a library full of books in their home. But, most professors and authors who have been interviewed on CNN, MSNBC, and other news programs do seem to own a lot of books. For scholars, it seems to come with the territory.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:58 PM   #19
Pacdoc
Retired Divergent
Pacdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Asus Windows Laptop
Many books visible at home

Has anyone else had the experience of inviting new friends to your home and been told that NOBODY could have read that many books and they were just for show?
Pacdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:35 PM   #20
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacdoc View Post
Has anyone else had the experience of inviting new friends to your home and been told that NOBODY could have read that many books and they were just for show?
During the pandemic, my book wall was my Zoom background (I sat on the couch for all my meetings). I had many people compliment my "background" until I started standing up and taking books off the shelf to prove it was real. But I don't think anyone ever accused me of not reading them.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:38 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacdoc View Post
I've had that experience on a couple of occasions. Not to mention one comment a couple of decades back that our basement looked like a well stocked branch library. Sadly(??), many of those books are now replaced by digital copies.

For the yahoo who was most vociferous that no one could have read all those books, I offered him a reward for finding a book that had not obviously been read and was still in the newly purchased state.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote