Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #46
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
... the steam makes the perception of heat much more intense than in a dry sauna, so that is why it feels more hot when in reality it is not. If steam baths had the same temperature of a dry sauna, you skin would be scalded.

I think separating sexes in saunas is a bit too much... i can't think of a place less inviting for sexy thoughts as a sauna
I so wish the germans would think the same, but on one or two occasions, I caught them thinking otherwise
Which is one of the reasons why we moved.
No, just kidding

Turkish baths (what you call steam baths) are way "colder" imo than scandinavian (dry) saunas are, but the perception is different. I would not want to bring my ereader in neither ones though.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #47
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Hotter than hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
OT:
Well, actually a dry sauna may very well be 100 Celsius. Dry heat can in no way be compared to hot steam.
The type of sauna where you put water on the heater is usually around 60-80 Celsius. A steam sauna yet a little bit cooler (or less hot).
I'm from a sauna-lovong part of the world, but don't particularly enjoy them myself.
See Wikipedia on World Sauna Championships. "The starting temperature in the men's competition was 110 °C (230 °F)." Extreme idiocy that did not end well.

tuskin
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #48
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Turkish baths (what you call steam baths) are way "colder" imo than scandinavian (dry) saunas are, but the perception is different. I would not want to bring my ereader in neither ones though.
We have steam rooms, which are like enclosed showers. There is no standing water, just condensation.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #49
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I figure if people can walk on hot coals, they might be able to sit in a 100 C sauna.

I lived 7 years in Russia. That is reason enough to enjoy a hot sauna, And yes one of the saunas I go too is usually between 100 and 105 Celsius and the second one between 80 and 90...hot, hot hot.......and love it....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #50
oooooooo
oooooooo began at the beginning.

Device: SGS 3
[Even though this is *old* I still answer]

This was quite fun to read . I'll try to point out some things though. These concern only finnish sauna and similar ones (russian too?).

- Heat is usually 80 - 120C (176F-248F). It does not burn you alive and actually feels ok. It's ok to spend something like 5-20 minutes a time but you must take care of proper hydration to avoid dehydration between sittings.
- When you throw water (usually few desilitres a time) to the rocks humidity increases A LOT and makes you sweat. This humidity also makes you feel "pain" like sensation for a short while when the steam distributes in the room. But throwing water is what makes sauna a sauna. It feels really good. In some countries throwing water is prohibited for some reason . It does NOT break electric kiuas (sorry, i dont know english term).
- You do NOT lose weight or fat (except very small amounts). This is because of very high humidity. You still need to take care of hydration...
- It's no place for sex, really. And its completely ok to use swimming pants if you want (but not in germany i believe).
- Sauna World championship is really extreme competition. Last time Russian finalist died in it (he took painkillers to endure pain) and finnish finalist injured very badly due to burns. This competition is really sick. In normal circumstances there's no way to get injury if you don't throw whole bucket of water at once .

I don't really understand why anyone would take newspaper or anything else to sauna as they would wet or break from the humidity. It just sounds ridiculous to me.

Last edited by oooooooo; 08-29-2012 at 06:37 AM.
oooooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #51
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I usually do 10 to 15 minutes in the Sauna.... wear a Timex Ironman or Caiso Gshock to keep track of the time. Reading in a Sauna...never reallly interested me.. for me it is a zone out place... some of the public Saunas have music or TV.... very therapeutic IMO...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #52
constant-reader
constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Play Books
Phones bad, e-readers good?

Hey there. Just writing to let y'all know that I've managed to kill multiple "rugged" cellphones by taking them into the sauna -- Kyocera Torque and Duraforce come to mind.

However, I was hoping to kill my old Kobo Aura so that I'd have an excuse to upgrade and the thing refuses to die after weeks of sauna use. There's a guy that uses my sauna that has been bringing his Kindle Fire in and I've been waiting for that to die, but not yet.
constant-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #53
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
I left several devices in the bag when I was on the beach ( KA1 KT2 KclHD kindle4th kindle7 kpw3 poke2).
Their temperature was over 50C. I noticed a performance slowering but they worked.
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #54
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
How do people even find these ancient threads to dig up?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I visualize some very bored person doing a search of ereader and sauna.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think threads that have not been posted in a year should be closed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #57
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think threads that have not been posted in a year should be closed.
Why? I don't understand what is supposed to be wrong with responding to an old thread. You can start a new one, but you lose all of the previous discussion. Threads take on lives of their own, they aren't there just for the OP. If others want to keep the discussion going, why not?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Why? I don't understand what is supposed to be wrong with responding to an old thread. You can start a new one, but you lose all of the previous discussion. Threads take on lives of their own, they aren't there just for the OP. If others want to keep the discussion going, why not?
You can link to the original thread in your new thread. It stops people from adding to a thread that's too old with a post that's rubbish. A lot of necroposting is does with rubbish posts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:32 AM   #59
constant-reader
constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.constant-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Play Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by constant-reader View Post
Hey there. Just writing to let y'all know that I've managed to kill multiple "rugged" cellphones by taking them into the sauna -- Kyocera Torque and Duraforce come to mind.

However, I was hoping to kill my old Kobo Aura so that I'd have an excuse to upgrade and the thing refuses to die after weeks of sauna use. There's a guy that uses my sauna that has been bringing his Kindle Fire in and I've been waiting for that to die, but not yet.
I've migrated from my Aura to an Ulefone Armor X7 Pro so I can check my email. It's supposed to be IP69k rated and it's been fine so far.
constant-reader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, heat damage, sauna