Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2021, 03:25 AM   #211
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by willaful View Post
I don't seem to have a way to swipe up from the bottom, just from the top.

Edited: I guess I do, at that. Doesn't help with footnotes, though. :-(
Uhg! Hopefully Amazon will fix this...

I use footnotes all the time, this update is terrible.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #212
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I'm a heavy user of the back button, so this is part of what makes it unlikely I will ever buy another new kindle.

But don't footnotes usually pop up so that when you dismiss them you are still on the same page?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #213
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm a heavy user of the back button, so this is part of what makes it unlikely I will ever buy another new kindle.

But don't footnotes usually pop up so that when you dismiss them you are still on the same page?
Sometimes - I think it depends on the internals of the html of the footnotes. Also, sometimes a long footnote can go on for several pages, in which case the pop up doesn't work very well.

I read a fair amount of non-fiction, often with long footnotes. I love the way the (former I guess) back arrow just handles them, and returns directly to the source of the link instead of backing up page-by-page through a long footnote, as some readers I've used did.

My PW4 will stay in airplane mode until this is sorted out.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #214
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah - I usually make a mental note of the page/location number that I'm on, before clicking to go to a footnote. Or even page-mark the page.

However, my Oasis, on the new firmware, usually puts an X at the top right of the footnote box. Unless I accidentally do something (unknowingly swipe right or left?), and get stuck on the *next* footnote, and I'm now in the footnote pages instead of my single footnote box. I got stuck there for a bit. Awkward.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #215
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The latest lastest update puts Back To link at bottom of screen, you do not have to ‘swipe up’. I don’t know if this applies to side-loaded or personal documents.

When footnote includes a link back to the reference, and you get there from pop up footnote, there’s a little left pointing triangle next that back link, so you know what you can tap on (that’s in addition to the Back To link). If there is no pop up footnote, this triangle does not appear, but if you remember the footnote label/number, you can tap on it to return (in addition to the Back to.. link at the bottom left.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-09-2021 at 03:48 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:17 AM   #216
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
The book I was reading wasn't side-loaded or a personal document, and I didn't have any of those options.
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #217
nimbus.se
nimbus.se began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The latest lastest update puts Back To link at bottom of screen, you do not have to ‘swipe up’. I don’t know if this applies to side-loaded or personal documents.

When footnote includes a link back to the reference, and you get there from pop up footnote, there’s a little left pointing triangle next that back link, so you know what you can tap on (that’s in addition to the Back To link). If there is no pop up footnote, this triangle does not appear, but if you remember the footnote label/number, you can tap on it to return (in addition to the Back to.. link at the bottom left.
I updated mine and it did show up those options
nimbus.se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #218
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Voyage seems stuck at 5.13.6 at moment, hoping it gets latest.

I like stuff to keep up with latest updates/firmware might be time for upgrade? Voyage has dodgy USB port anyway…
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:38 PM   #219
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
Voyage seems stuck at 5.13.6 at moment, hoping it gets latest.
I'm hoping the opposite. Otherwise I won't be able to use my WiFi connection.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #220
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm hoping the opposite. Otherwise I won't be able to use my WiFi connection.
Exactly. The Voyage is my only Kindle with front lighting that I can connect to the internet and not risk getting a user interface that I don’t want.

I go back and forth on keeping or selling my Kindles that Amazon has rolled out the update for.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote