Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #301
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air, Samsung Galaxy J7, & an iPod Nano.
Please refrain from offering political commentary in this forum. If you wish to comment on the merits of protecting Taiwan from invasion vs Chinese reunification, please do so in the Politics and Religion forum.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #302
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Ah, so - -
If you don't mind me saying so to the general readership -
A high school student in mainland China.

Google did a decent job of the translation.

A lot of what I wrote concerns ancient history, all before your own time.
Nothing in what I wrote was about current or even recent history.

Your parents where probably young children when I was last in your country.

Your grandparents might be a source of information about the times I wrote about.

Yes, there is a big difference in our ages.
I might even be older than your grandparents.

Time changes everything.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #303
Jiang Yuhan
Connoisseur
Jiang Yuhan began at the beginning.

Device: New Kindle(558)
Besides,I will post the imformation the day after tomorrow (maybe)
Jiang Yuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #304
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Please refrain from offering political commentary in this forum. If you wish to comment on the merits of protecting Taiwan from invasion vs Chinese reunification, please do so in the Politics and Religion forum.
We are not.

It was a poor translation from English to Chinese by Google that Yuhan was answering.
English is not his native language (but it is better than my Mandarin is).
I think I have it all corrected now.

Sorry for the false alarm bells.

Last edited by knc1; 08-05-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #305
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiang Yuhan View Post
PS.Can you differentiate between simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese?
I don't think there is any difference in terms of displaying the characters in kterm. Terminal uses utf-8 encoding. The default font seems to be able to represent both simplified and traditional set. Of course the application you use must also support unicode.

See attached test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2017_08_05T17_26_48+0159.png
Views:	67
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	158277  
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #306
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air, Samsung Galaxy J7, & an iPod Nano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
We are not.

It was a poor translation from English to Chinese by Google that Yuhan was answering.
English is not his native language (but it is better than my Mandarin is).
I think I have it all corrected now.

Sorry for the false alarm bells.

I was mainly referring to your post. This isn't the forum to discuss Chinese reunification or Taiwanese sovereignty.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #307
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I was mainly referring to your post. This isn't the forum to discuss Chinese reunification or Taiwanese sovereignty.
Once again, we are not attempting any such discussion here.

Read the post I was replying to, it was a question of what distinguishes the two legacy character encodings used in C.S. for the Chinese language.

The fact that the distinction is based on legacy territorial issues is not relevant to the question as asked or as answered.

Please suggest a better wording.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #308
Jiang Yuhan
Connoisseur

Oh,yes,we should not always talk about my language.@knc1,I suggest we should delete what we shouldn't talk about in this forum.
Sorry for my replies .But I won't change my attitudes toward "one-Chinese" principle
Hope it won't chage your impression about China and Chinese students
Now,we can return to our original topic.

Last edited by Jiang Yuhan; 08-05-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #309
Jiang Yuhan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
I don't think there is any difference in terms of displaying the characters in kterm. Terminal uses utf-8 encoding. The default font seems to be able to represent both simplified and traditional set. Of course the application you use must also support unicode.
See attached test.
Sorry.Actually ,I mean that we could not only display traditional Chinese but also simplified one as a example text.I know kTerm is excellent enough to display both traditional Chinese and simplified one .Maybe even all languages.
Sorry,my poor English always can't express what I wanna say.Sorry.
And thanks for your help
I don't want talk my language anymore in the forum.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #310
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Oh,yes,we should not always talk about my language.@knc1,I suggest we should delete what we shouldn't talk about in this forum.
Sorry for my replies and thank you for your understanding.
Hope it won't chage your impression about China and Chinese students
Which is -
For your location, you want "Simplified Chinese" support -
Which means support for the "National Standard" (of your nation) which is GB2312 encoding.

The Kindles use UTF-8 encoding.
Your Windows PC uses either GB2312 or UTF-8 encoding.

Unlike some country specific character encodings, there is a direct, one-to-one translation from GB2312 to UTF-8.
Also for the reverse, UTF-8 to GB2312.

BAF (the provider of the kTerm build) has shown that the current kTerm will properly display Simplified Chinese recorded on the Kindle.
(and we know from other user reports that it will display Japanese (which kTerm was designed for) and Traditional Chinese.)

What is missing, is a Simplified Chinese keyboard.
The keyboard is a "plug-in" item, it could be changed if that plug-in could be found.

= = = =

Here is an example of converting from GB2312 to UTF-8 (in PHP):
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...utf-8-encoding
Similar features are available in other programming languages.
What is being called is a 'standard' mb_convert library that many programming languages also can use.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #311
Jiang Yuhan
Connoisseur

about irssi
I just edit irc.sh and use it open irssi.
And then use command "/connect irc.freenode.net" , "/nick mynickname" and "/msg NickServ identify passwd"
easy
Old 08-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #312
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
about irssi
I just edit irc.sh and use it open irssi.
And then use command "/connect irc.freenode.net" , "/nick mynickname" and "/msg NickServ identify passwd"
easy
Thanks.

Does it seem to be working properly?
Old 08-05-2017, 10:54 PM   #313
Jiang Yuhan
Connoisseur

yes,it does.I am using it.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:14 AM   #314
Jiang Yuhan
Connoisseur

hey,knc1please delete your reply which doesn't concern our topic.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #315
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Emmmm,how can I make my kterm support simplified Chinese ?Thanks.
Quote:
There is no special distinction made here, the distinction is the standard one in the handling of the Chinese language in computerization.

There is no mandatory connection between the encoding and the character set.

As a matter of common practice, the Simplified Chinese character set uses GB ("Guobiao") encoding.
GB is the official standard of the People's Republic of China.

As a matter of common practice, the Traditional Chinese character set uses Big5 encoding.
The primary user of Big5 encoding is the Republic of China (a.k.a: Taiwan, formerly known as Formosa).
It is also used in Hong Kong and Macau.

Why?
You can probably see a pattern forming here as a matter of history.
Quote:
hey,knc1please delete your reply which doesn't concern our topic.
Quote:
Quote:
Which is -
For your location, you want "Simplified Chinese" support -
Which means support for the "National Standard" (of your nation) which is GB2312 encoding.

The Kindles use UTF-8 encoding.
Your Windows PC uses either GB2312 or UTF-8 encoding.

Unlike some country specific character encodings, there is a direct, one-to-one translation from GB2312 to UTF-8.
Also for the reverse, UTF-8 to GB2312.

BAF (the provider of the kTerm build) has shown that the current kTerm will properly display Simplified Chinese recorded on the Kindle.
(and we know from other user reports that it will display Japanese (which kTerm was designed for) and Traditional Chinese.)

What is missing, is a Simplified Chinese keyboard.
The keyboard is a "plug-in" item, it could be changed if that plug-in could be found.

= = = =

Here is an example of converting from GB2312 to UTF-8 (in PHP):
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...utf-8-encoding
Similar features are available in other programming languages.
What is being called is a 'standard' mb_convert library that many programming languages also can use.
Now if everyone is happy, perhaps we can all get on with our lives.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, terminal emulator