Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Sqlite database replacement instructions

To get the database used for software version 1.8, refer to this post in this thread. The installation instructions are the same as those included here -- except that the kobo-dir-pristine also contains a kepub folder which must be also copied to the .kobo folder.

Note: Version 1.8 is only used in the Original Kobo.

As requested by Sameer H :

NOTE: The Links below are for the db used with software version 1.4.

To put a fresh db on your eReader.

Fetch this zip file

http://download.kobobooks.com/deskto...-fresh-1-4.zip

1. Attach the eReader to the computer
2. Ensure that it is detected as mass storage

FOR A MAC:
1. Open mass storage device in Finder
2 . Select the "GO" option from the top menu
3. Select Go to folder
4. Type in .kobo
5. .kobo folder will open
6. Delete the images folder
7. Delete the KobReader.sqlite file (this is the database file)
8. From a new Finder window, browse to where the downloaded zip file is.
9. Unzip the file, it will unzip a folder called kobo-dir-pristine
10. Open kobo-dir-pristine, copy the images folder and the KoboReader.sqlite file over to the .kobo folder on the mass storage.
11. Eject the eReader
12. Restart the eReader (power off, and then power back on)

ON A PC
1. Open mass storage device in Finder
2. Ensure hidden folders are visible (different for different Windows versions)

XP: My Computer > Tools menu > Folder Options > View Tab > Advanced Settings > Hidden Files and Folders > Show hidden files and folders.
OK all the way out.

Vista and Windows 7: Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View Tab > Click Show Hidden files and folders > OK

3. Open .kobo folder on the mass storage
6. Delete the images folder
7. Delete the KobReader.sqlite file (this is the database file)
8. Unzip the downloaded file to an accessible folder, it will unzip to a folder called kobo-dir-pristine.
9. Open kobo-dir-pristine, copy the images folder and the KoboReader.sqlite file over to the .kobo folder on the mass storage.
10. Eject the eReader
11. Restart the eReader (power off, and then power back on)

Last edited by pholy; 12-17-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Also copy the kepub folder
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
These instructions should be pinned
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
I thought we had pretty much come to the conclusion that you could just nuke it, and it would get automatically rebuilt when next you synchronized your reader.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I thought we had pretty much come to the conclusion that you could just nuke it, and it would get automatically rebuilt when next you synchronized your reader.
It does, but you loose 100 books.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
It does, but you loose 100 books.
And they're pretty good books
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
livre
livre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thank you so much, you saved my Kobo :-)
livre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
auriel
Enthusiast
auriel began at the beginning.

Device: Black Original Kobo; iPad 2; Black Kobo Touch
Thanks! I'm gonna try this. I restored my Kobo to factory settings to clear the internal memory and I lost one of the 100 preloaded books.
auriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
The instructions worked like a charm on my corrupted database. I like my Kobo even more knowing I can restore the original database!
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
cjob68
cjob68 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I am now getting "We are unable to update your devices database. Syncing cannot be completed" after doing this. Any ideas ?
cjob68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
What software versions to you have on your Kobo and PC? The refresh db is definitely for 1.4.

Unfortunately, that's my only idea
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Should this be updated to include new instructions for Kobo Wireless (especially in light of a new database schema)?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Should this be updated to include new instructions for Kobo Wireless (especially in light of a new database schema)?
We've greatly improved the factory reset process on the Kobo Wireless Reader. You should always be able to reset your database by just doing a Factory Reset.

To do this:
1) Press Menu
2) Select settings
3) Select advanced
4) Select factory reset
5) Accept

You should have a Kobo Wireless Reader just like it came from the factory.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
That is fantastic news I see I will have to get me one soon...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
jean_wat
jean_wat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Factory Reset wipes out all settings

Having owned my new Kobo Wireless for 3 days, my database was completely screwed.

Resetting factory settings wipes out everything, including date, time, and wireless passwords. I have a fairly strong (and long) password for my wireless router. Took FOREVER to input using the Kobo originally. If I have to do this every week or so then the wireless will effectively be useless.

It would be much easier to just replace the sqllite db. Seriously Kobo, please give us that option!

Or even better, fix the DB so that it doesn't get corrupted...

Seriously, how did that happen so easily in 2 days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post

You should have a Kobo Wireless Reader just like it came from the factory.
jean_wat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_wat View Post
Or even better, fix the DB so that it doesn't get corrupted...

Seriously, how did that happen so easily in 2 days?
Good question since I've had my original kobo since release day and have had absolutely zero issues with it. Actually, I'd expect that as SQLite is ACID compliant and very rugged - it's specifically designed for applications like this. Perhaps your issues aren't DB related?

Quote:
SQLite is Transactional

A transactional database is one in which all changes and queries appear to be Atomic, Consistent, Isolated, and Durable (ACID). SQLite implements serializable transactions that are atomic, consistent, isolated, and durable, even if the transaction is interrupted by a program crash, an operating system crash, or a power failure to the computer.

We here restate and amplify the previous sentence for emphasis: All changes within a single transaction in SQLite either occur completely or not at all, even if the act of writing the change out to the disk is interrupted by

* a program crash,
* an operating system crash, or
* a power failure.

The claim of the previous paragraph is extensively checked in the SQLite regression test suite using a special test harness that simulates the effects on a database file of operating system crashes and power failures.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
database, kobo, recovery