Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #16
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
I guess I should have mentioned that she is american so it doesn't need arabic capabilities...

She doesn't have much room, either where she is living or when she is traveling. She can get some books but they are mostly "guy" books, lol, that the soldiers like.

I wondered if the an ereader like the kindle worked there or should she get something like the sony or another brand and since she is over there most of the time, how does she order ebooks? Is there a site she can use?

I am asking all this because we were discussing the kindle, but when I looked on its coverage site, that area is white not purple so I figured you could not get wifi download or whatever...

Thanks for the help, I should have been more clear.
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
jetBook is nice, but it's not chargable (works with 4xAA batteries).
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #18
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
jetBook is nice, but it's not chargable (works with 4xAA batteries).
I know that the JetBook Lite uses AA batteries, but I think that the original Jetbook IS chargeable. Right?

(The fact that the JBL uses batteries, by the way, is one of the reasons that I like it. I have to think about chargers and usb cords with my other readers, but if I'm traveling, or hospital sitting, with the JBL I can always buy batteries if I have to. So it's not always a disadvantage. )
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #19
meem
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I know that the JetBook Lite uses AA batteries, but I think that the original Jetbook IS chargeable. Right?

(The fact that the JBL uses batteries, by the way, is one of the reasons that I like it. I have to think about chargers and usb cords with my other readers, but if I'm traveling, or hospital sitting, with the JBL I can always buy batteries if I have to. So it's not always a disadvantage. :))
Yes, some times it's good :)
Old 08-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #20
meem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
you can use jetBook or jetBook-Lite for Arabic, Hebrew and Vietnamese texts:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=25
Yes, I think language support is the main feature of it.

have you tried Arabic, Hebrew or Vietnamese "Text files" on it ?

The bad on their site they tell you: "Prices start from $99"
but after you browse the site you will not find this price anywhere.
Look:
http://ectaco.com/eBook-PDA-Dictionaries-items/

Also, they are telling you about a "high-resolution 5-inch display", oh, what a big screen..! the little Kindle or small SONY Reader have 6-inch display at least.

For equity:
They have a good Arabic traslation not like other sites:
http://arabic.get-together.net/
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #21
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I am using a Nook in Turkey. It's easy to buy books with various free VPN and proxys. B&N doesn't look where you are when sending the books to the Nook.

For arabic you either have to embed arabic fonts to an ePub (titles and other metadata should be in latin) of use a pdf.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #22
meem

There is no problem with Arabic PDF on any eReader even PDAes and Smart-Phones.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNoah View Post
I guess I should have mentioned that she is american so it doesn't need arabic capabilities...

She doesn't have much room, either where she is living or when she is traveling. She can get some books but they are mostly "guy" books, lol, that the soldiers like.
Hi, EliNoah:

You didn't mention it, but if your sister wears desert camo, the Pocketbook 360 will fit quite well in the cargo pockets on the trousers. My iPod traveled there the 3 months I was in Kuwait and I never had an issue with it bumping anything.

Plus, the PB360 has an integrated hard plastic cover (comes with the device, can be attached to the back while reading) so it is less bulky - while still protected - than most other readers. So, I should think it'd travel safely in a bag, back pack or pants pockets.

If she has a computer, then all she'll need with the PB360 is the charger and the USB cable for PC connection. They don't take up much space, neither does the PB360.

Again, you didn't say what kind of computer access she has there (via the military or civilian) but a lot of the free web sites are accessible through the military firewalls. If she has her own computer, then she can do a bit more (as far as loading stuff onto it).

The PB360 can read a LOT of the popular formats (.mobi, ePub, rtf, PDF, etc) and can also read Adobe's DRM'd ePub and PDF. You don't need any special software to connect it to the PC either - the computer will recognize it as another storage space and it's a simple click-drag-drop operation to put stuff onto the device.

Maybe she can get a library card (Free Philly Library offers a good selection for $15/year to non-PA residents if her library doesn't have an Overdrive account). Then, she can download library books where she is (assuming the computer she has access to can load/install the Adobe Digital Reader).

There is also various de-DRM tools she/you can Google about - then you could shop online almost anywhere. And, there is Calibre for book management. Of course, all this is assuming she has her own computer, versus a military one she has access to.

Sorry that I'm rambling a bit - I'm just thinking what I'd do if I went to the desert [again].

Hope that helps and good luck with your search.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote