Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 07-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
About firmware for the EZReader

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm pretty computer savvy but pretty new to eBook readers (I've been reading eBooks on my Tablet PC for some time). I picked up a brand new EZReader from Fry's yesterday and I'm playing with it. So far, so good. I've been poking around this forum a bit and have read here and there about updating the firmware on the reader. I'm all for that and am comfortable with doing it. However...I'm kind of confused as to what I should upgrade TO. I'm not even sure how recent the firmware is on my reader. Here is what I get from the "about" page:

Firmware version: V2.02ASTAK.090421

Bookshelf version: V1.20.090420

Viewer version: V3.0.090120

(also lists the various parsers' versions)

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to upgrading the firmware if this isn't the latest and greatest? Also, I did see somewhere-but now I'm having a hard time finding it-another firmware/OS that could be installed to and executed from the SD card independently and without change to the default firmware/OS on the reader. Can anyone help point me to that as well?
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
There are several readers with essentially the same hardware but slightly different firmware (all HW made by Jinke [manufacturer China] - find their support URL here)) Other firmwares you might try are BeBook[Europe distributor], LBook [Russia distributor], and EZ Reader [US distributer]. Any/all of these will work with the EZ Reader. In addition, there is an open source (OpenInkPot - OI). Their firmware has several advantages and is what I use. The drawback of OI is it does not support any DRM ebooks. The others may support one DRM ebook type or another. You'll have to check, may be Mobipocket, Ereader, or Adobe Digital Editions. This may make your choice for you.

At the Jinke support site there is also a SW (Logomaker) that can be used with any of the commercial firmwares to create your own opening & closing pictures. Logomaker is not compatable with OIpenInkPot.

There is a way (see the OI site) to switch between whatever commercial firmware you're using and OI but it results in some OI instabilities. I think wallcraft does it this way but I stick to straight OI.

Good luck.

Last edited by slayda; 07-04-2009 at 01:22 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The OI-on-SD (live) version of OpenInkPot is the once that can co-exist with any standard firmware. Some people have found this to be unstable, but it works well for me.

All Hanlin V3's can run any firmware. The current firmware probably includes MOBI DRM (encrypted ebook) support. Astak will very soon release a new firmware that will drop MOBI in favor of Adobe PDF/ePub DRM, see Adobe Digital Editions for EZ Reader. I suggest waiting for this firmware, although if you have many MOBI ebooks already you may want to stick with a MOBI-DRM firmware. So far as I know, most firmwares are close to the standard Jinke firmware the exception is LBook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have been using the lbook beta software and I like how it handles pdfs and epubs.
If they enable drm on epubs that would be great.
I will be looking forward to the new ezreader firmware.
Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
mtnmedic
Enthusiast

Well I gave the Openinkpot a try, both the current version and the snapshots of the upcoming version to the SD card for the "live" boot. Both look really nice. Unfortunately, the current version CRASHED and I had to take the battery out in order to get the reader to reboot. I'm sure operating from the SD card is the problem. I'd love to flash the reader with OI but I don't want to lose the current firmware for good. Anyone know how I can back it up or where I can download the current one so I can hang onto it in case of a disaster? I remember someone mentioned what is supposedly the current version but the name format didn't match what I find from "about" on my reader (as shown in my first post at the beginning of this thread). As it is, I still don't know whether the version of default firmware on my reader is the most current or not.

I imagine there are folks out there who are trying different firmware on the reader, flashing it time and again. Has anyone had any problems with doing this?

Of course, I'm most interested in seeing what the upcoming firmware from Astak will bring. Dropping MOBI isn't going to hurt my feelings as I find Amazon's ebook prices to be a bit steep for my taste (funny though that I can buy just about anything ELSE cheaper there...). It's their loss in thinning their ebook customer base by isolating MOBI. PDF is more important to me. Many of my most important books and manuals are based in PDF and I would MUCH rather have something that will allow me to read them with relative comfort on the EZReader. Having said that, I would really love to give lbook a try but first I need to make sure I can always go back to the original firmware.
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Lockups are not uncommon with new firmware. The EZ Reader firmware is not currently available due to the web site being redone but you can download the latest from Hanlin from the Jinke web site. It is pretty stable although you won't have the Astak splash screen.

A reset can normally be accomplished without removing the battery. There is a hole in the back that performs a reset if you poke a paper clip through the hole. You can also reset the device by holding the power button down for about 10 seconds.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
mtnmedic
Enthusiast

Thanks, Dale. YOU'RE IN GRASS VALLEY??? Dang...I'm in Cascade Shores, just east of Nevada City!!! It's a freakin' small world, I tell ya! Time to update my profile...

Bear with me here...I feel really embarrassed because I'm a total tech guy who's not afraid to mess around with ROMs, firmware, registries, hardware, etc. But I'm a total noob when it comes to messing around with ebook readers. But I do catch on fast when pointed in the right direction.

I went to the jinke web site and from the top, clicked on "Support" and was presented with a page containing downloads, one of which is the Logomaker software that has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum. Near the bottom there is a link for "V3 Update Package". Clicking that, I get detailed information about the download there, which is labled: V3update hanlin V2.02EN 2009-01-20 2009-01-20

I'm still having a hard time determining whether the firmware version in my reader is the most current or not. That update label doesn't match anything I see in the "about" section on the reader (which says Firmware version: V2.02ASTAK.090421). I'm assuming this is a recent firmware looking at what I believe to be the date (090421). This is in the second line of the "about" page in Settings.

Also I would like to change/add fonts. Again, new stuff to me in the world of ebook readers.

Any further information you or anyone else can provide would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
mtnmedic
Enthusiast

Quick update: I just figured out how to change fonts. Now....to deal with the firmware as mentioned in my last post...
Old 07-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For a list, of firmware sites see EZReader Firmware. The Astak site is down, and my guess is that when it comes up (in a week or two) it will have the new firmware with mobile Adobe Digital Editions. I use the firmware from the Jinke site, but I also usually run OpenInkPot so I don't follow the state of the standard firmwares.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
Quick update: I just figured out how to change fonts. Now....to deal with the firmware as mentioned in my last post...
the Astak firmware is a bit later. The date is encoded in the version number. However, the only visible change I see is that the PDF version now has a banner at the bottom. (I actually preferred it from the earlier version as the page was full size and I can always press menu to see the battery charge). There may be some other changes but the official Jinke release is the baseline. Wallcraft pointed you to all the versions and they will all run on the device.

I am about to take off for the air show. Enjoy.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just found this on the bebook support forum

http://mybebook.com/forum/viewtopic....9&p=6680#p6676

Chuck
Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I just found this on the bebook support forum
It is becoming clear that MOBI DRM is a dead end going forward on the Hanlins. If you need MOBI, find an existing firmware build you like and keep it somewhere safe. The other option is to strip the MOBI DRM (using mobidedrm) and convert to ePub using Calibre. I have not been a fan of Adobe Digital Editions on the Desktop, but I will try out either the EZ Reader or other firmware with ADE once it is released.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life

I am reading a book that I converted from .lit to epub and I am enjoying the format of the book using the lbook beta firmware. And I love the reflow of the pdf now but I do format my own pdfs which makes a big difference.

chuck
Old 07-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another Mobipocket capable device drops Mobipocket's DRM in favor of ePub. Way to go Amazon. ePub will be taking the place of Mobipocket (IMHO as the standard since Amazon seems content on killing it off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I am reading a book that I converted from .lit to epub and I am enjoying the format of the book using the lbook beta firmware. And I love the reflow of the pdf now but I do format my own pdfs which makes a big difference.

chuck
Reflow is great, but the font sizes are wrong. Size one is very small, and size 2 already is too big. Size 5 must be for people with really long arms.
And the Webster dictionary in epub format is impossible to search with a virtual keyboard.
And Wikipedia is not available in epub, only in mobi format.
I lose a lot with this new firmware, although pdf reflow is a nice feature. But I had already spent a lot of time converting many pdfs to prc.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote