Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #16
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble
Can anyone else confirm this for me? I have seen several sites claiming the 1150 has hyperlink capabilities, but they all seem to be quoting some single source of promotional material...

Thanks,
Jack
The (unencrypted) Fictionwise multiformat book downloaded in .imp, most .opf books (you know those from... ) converted to imp (another handy thing of Ebk1150, you can convert opf directly to imp) have automatically hyperlinks on Ebk1150 which is very nice especially for short story collections.
I bought more than 20 multiformat e-magazines or short story collections from Fictionwise and all of them have working hyperlinks in imp

Also Ebk1150 has a very good search capability and combined with bookmarks, it will do for those books that do not have hyperlinks.

I also presume that you can modify html or rtf preconvert to include hyperlinks in converted imp but I have no idea how to do it.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #17
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I wanted to buy an iLiad, but I just don't think I can justify the cost right now. On the other hand, I've got a bunch of eBooks to read (I've been reading them on my Mac laptop) and also a large number of journal articles and other documents which I'd like to be able to organize digitally. I have some questions about the eBookwise 1150, though.

1 - Can you search or even browse "bookmarks," i.e. annotations? I'm guessing it doesn't do handwriting recognition at this price, so you couldn't search the text of your notes unless there's a screen keyboard, which would be clunky, but is there any way to review the markups you've made to a document? (E.g. search highlighted text?)

2 - Can you backup bookmarks/annotations? Are they readable other than on the device?

3 - Can you turn the backlight off, and if so, is the device readable in sunlight?

Thanks,
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #18
stxopher
Nameless Being

1 - Hmmm, never actually searched for the note contents themselves so can't say anything there. I normally just used the jump function to go to the next markup (which is still extremely fast). While you can search "highlighted text" as far as I've used it it just for finding that text again in the document.

2 - No idea though you would think there would be some way to do it for a clever, clever person.

3 - The two visual display controls are "contrast" (darkens or lightens the background screen compared to the letters) and "brightness" (increases and decreases the backlighting). Good thing too since it changes as the temperature and time in use changes.

In fact, it was this unit that got me fully hooked on ebooks. It went anywhere (yes, readable in full sun but not as nearly as readable as Sony or Irex), holds a good charge (for what it is), a decent sized display and is still more comfortable to hold for long periods than the Sony reader (for my hands) since it's easy to switch the LARGE page buttons to either side of the reader so you can switch from left to right and back again.

Another plus is that it's fairly rugged with a sturdy plastic and rubber body so it's easy to lug around. Again, not as easy of most e-ink if weight is a major concern but not enough to notice in a bag with other items in it anyway.

Downsides are the display (of course) since it is limited to a coarse LCD, storage media (removable is a SmartMedia card, not as available as all the others anymore though it can still be gotten), direct bright light readability (possible but some shadowing on the display is preferable).

That said, I still use it even though the current favorite at home is the Sony eReader (and now with the latest 2.8, Illiad is starting to give those come-hither looks) since it still does what it needs to (display text information) very well, making it great for manuals and guides as well as general reading.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:23 AM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hear you on those come-hither looks from the iLiad. Part of the reason I'm asking about annotation export is that if I go for an 1150 now, I will probably want to switch to an iLiad at some point, and I'd like to keep my annotations created on the 1150 in the meantime.

Are the annotations images, like the iLiad's "Scribble," or do you use a screen keyboard?

Thanks,
Old 12-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #20
stxopher
Nameless Being

Without seeing an Iliad in action (something that is probably safer for my wallet), I would say it's similar since you use the stylus (or finger, coin edge, frozen mackerel....anything really since it's not a Wacom but just a touchscreen) to draw on the screen itself.

I'm not sure if it would matter though since it may store the annotation info as a specialized file. Maybe someone with both a Ebookwise and Iliad would know? Are there such beasts?
Advert
Old 12-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Probably some iLiad user has had an eBookwise 1150 at some point. I'll try posting in the iLiad section. I would guess that the annotations are stored in a separate file, matched up somehow with the content file. I would need to look on the memory of an eBookwise with a file with annotation to see if I could figure out what it uses. Based on the other discussions in this forum, the .imp file gets pulled apart on the eBookwise itself; presumably one of those files created during this process is the annotation file. Depending on the format of that file, it could be possible to create a utility to convert the annotations to a format usable on the iLiad. It's an interesting idea, anyway.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Does anyone have an example of an annotated file (probably a group of related files) on an eBookwise reader that they'd be willing to share? One of the iLiad techies wants to take a look.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryliao View Post
Only pitiful thing for EB1150 is no hyperlink.

Thus, I can't converse html novel from internet to eBookWise 1150.

Except that I have left my Palm T3 to read use only eb1150.

larryliao
The EB1150 supports hyperlinks just fine. Just use the publisher and select the html documents you want. Hyperlinks between documents is fine.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #24
BBWSiren
BBWSiren began at the beginning.

Device: Still Deciding
ebookwise and Mobi support

Hello,

I am just reviewing some of my options regarding an E-Book reader. I have already downloaded Mobipocket to my PC and was wondering if the ebookwise would be compatible. I really like the Mobipocket and the E-Desiel site. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Linda
BBWSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #25
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWSiren View Post
Hello,

I am just reviewing some of my options regarding an E-Book reader. I have already downloaded Mobipocket to my PC and was wondering if the ebookwise would be compatible. I really like the Mobipocket and the E-Desiel site. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Linda
Hi Linda,
here you can find instructions on how to convert Mobilpocket to imp (eBookwise format).

Cheers
Sandro
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #26
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Otherwise you could look at one of the e-reader that handles Mobipocket natively, i.e. the Cybook or the Hanlin V3 or one of it's rebrands. Then you wont have to convert anything.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #27
iamtim_1954
iamtim_1954 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
ebookwise 1150

Thank you everybody!! I justfound out about ebooks and tired of reading on my computer!! Because of this thread i have decided to go with the ebookwise 1150. I have just one question. Can I download my ebook files that are in PDF format to the reader?? any answers would be well appreciated. thank you for your time!
iamtim_1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #28
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
The eb1150 won't read pdf you will have to try to convert them to the imp format. I've never had much luck converting any pdf to something else.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #29
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
pdf

Yeah in general PDF's don't seem to convert very well.

I am VERY happy with my little EB1150, I have had it for over a year now. I think that most of us that have a EB1150 are happy with ours, they are not the fanciest ebook readers out there, but they are sturdy and work very well in general.

If you are buying secure ebooks .lit format seems to be the best when it comes to conversion.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #30
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Check the links in the sticky's. There's a program called PDFREad that will convert quite a few, but it's slow and you may have to read with the ebw on it's side.

Some PDF files will not convert well using any and all of the tools available. I've given up on them for the most part and if I /have/ to read a PDF I use my tablet PC now. The normal ebook formats are easily shifted into IMP.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote