Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Ramblings on e-reading and the Touch

Tonight I just got thinking about how much I love the e-reading experience. I absolutely love it.

Part of it is just e-ink. Mind you, the Touch is the first e-reader I've ever used, so I'm a bit spoiled as it has a Pearl. But... it's text. It's not light masquerading as text... it's actual bounce-light-off-of-it text, just like I've been reading with p-books for over thirty years. It's easy on my eyes. I can (and have) read for hours with my Touch. Can't imagine doing that with a tablet.

Part of it is just e-readers in general. I love the weight & size of the Touch, but other readers are similar. I read a lot of fantasy paperbacks that can get pretty thick. The Touch weighs less then the books I'm used to. I can hold it in one hand for hours.

That's another thing. This may sound silly, but do you have any idea how much I love that you can put the reader down and you don't lose your page? I've put my Touch on a table and sat there reading it, just poking at it when needed to flip the page. You simply can't do that with a paperback.

Bookmarking is another nice thing. Never need to remember to use one. (To be honest, I pretty much never do with a p-book.) Every time I turn on the Touch it'll open up my current book to the right page. Or, if I've been flipping between books... it remembers 'em all.

I can even do custom bookmarks in my gaming PDFs. Which comes in handy at the table. PDF support on the Touch just *works* for me. I was hoping it would be ok for gaming, and it is. I have a light, portable gizmo that I can take and it has all my Deadlands pdfs on it. And I never worry "did I charge it beforehand?" The odds of it being so run down I have to worry about it dying at the gaming table are slim indeed.

As for the Touch itself... with 2.1.5 I really like it. I like the home screen, with my five most recent reads or add ons. I like that Die Trying is sitting there, reminding me that yeah this is a library book that I should get around to reading.

I've looked at the Discover section a few times, and I'm glad I did. Had no idea that Dave Duncan had done a follow-up to his Seventh Sword series. Thanks for that, Kobo.

Shelves are great for me. Got my Exalted pdfs on one shelf, Deadlands on another, Hell On Earth on a third. Sweet.

I love the epub support. It's one of the main reasons I bought the Touch. With epubs & Adobe come libraries. And do I ever love the ability to use my local library without leaving my house or worrying about a late return.

I like the web browser. It's not much, but it means if I'm lying in bed and want to check the weather forecast without getting up, I can. It's nice. And I know I can use it to get another Guntenberg book any time I want to. That's nice too.

I love that I've got over eighty books on this thing, including a lot of pdfs, and I'm not even at the half-way point of the internal storage. I can't imagine filling it up, let alone filling up the two gig SD card I keep stuck in it just in case.

Overall, this is a gizmo that aids and abets my main vice, reading. Really glad my wife got it for me. Next is to save up and get a Glo... :-P
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Now here is someone that really loves his reader and in a pretty exhaustive manner.
Kudos pal
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Congratulations on being so happy with your Kobo -and E-ink in general. It's nice to see someone happy with a product, more importantly happy enough to actually write about it. The norm in forums is so often negative -I suppose because people are most often looking for help, and distress is not exactly the pathway to rampant praise.

While my Kobo Touch is not perfect, I'm pretty darned happy as well. More importantly, I'm even happier that they continue to improve it! With a marvelous app like Calibre as an adjunct e-reading is pretty hard to beat.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
It's been now a year that I started my e-reading experience and at first, It was a "no other way" option for me (my husband was being exasperated by all the paper books that were being piled at home). After a year of e-reading, I must confess that I love that experience : I read more and faster than I used to before. I find books in english far more easily than english paper books (I'm living in France). I can always have a book to read at hand, as my e-reader always follow me everywhere. I have access freely to all the old "classics" that I wanted to read (the french ones I've already read when I was at school, the english ones that I wanted to read), thanks to project Gutenberg ans similars.

At the beginning of septembre a colleague of mine was to have a surgery. I suggested her to buy a e-reader (a Kobo Touch as its price was dropping). She bought one and now, she's just as enthusiastic as I am about e-reading and her Kobo
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I really like my Kobo Glo, especially now that I've figured out that having the glo light on the lowest setting actually makes the background whiter in daylight. I also like the more paper-like feel to the screen surface. Lastly, you really notice that it has a better processor than the Touch, it's faster in every way.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Great post! That's exactly what I feel about my Kobo Touch. I don't use the browser, but all the other things are true for me.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote