Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
Question help: broken glauncher menu

Hi everyone, I'm new I'm noob I'm curious, a wannabe developer without the necessary skills - yet. For sure I got into an issue I can't master already, please advice me how to fix it. Jailbroken K5, no USB networking patch, yes jbpatch and glauncher menu. Everything worked great for awhile, then - following a weird run of Gui_Launcher_Collection_8-28-12 - I ended up with a shortened glauncher menu and my kindle always restarts in landscape mode. What can I do to fix both issues, the former is more important? By "shortened glauncher menu" I mean that only four top level items are listed: HackedUpReader(*), Start USBnetwork, Komic2.0(*), and Orientation. (*)=These come from individual install packages, not from Gui_Launcher_Collection_8-28-12. All other Gui_Launcher_Collection items, as well as any other separate install package I have tried to add - such as xterm, leafpad, etc. - do not show up in the menu. They used to show up before, but they don't anymore. I have tried installing and uninstalling glauncher menu and Gui_Launcher_Collection several times, but the menu is still shortened and can't be extended with new packages. Weird enough, I can see all json and xml files in the right places and with their original contents, but their corresponding apps and utils don't show up in the menu.
Thanks in advance for your help.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Well. I know that the dev has his hands full right now so I will give it a go.

Also posting this onto the GUI Launcher thread might not have been a bad idea.
But that aside...

It sounds to me (guess) that one of the menus (possibly that last one on the list) has a slightly malformed list structure.

Effectively the menu is one big lump of object and malformed entries will prevent "later" entries being processed (think: "unspecified behaviour")

Now I don't use the gui launcher, this is a problem. In terms of fixing your boot rotation my solutions would all require root access so again this is a problem.

I am assuming you have tried a graceful uninstall of the the application and reinstalled the last known good working version from the site.

working on the assumption that the gui launcher programattically creates menu items at runtime this may well fix the issue.

Also worthy of note: OTHER APPLICATIONS COULD BE DOING IT. You state that other applications show and GUI Thingy does not.

Hence if they precede the gui thingy they could well prevent it running.
Check for malformed menu.jsons, or simply "uninstall" everything. (read for this: "delete".)

then put them in one by one.

See, if you remove everything, if you still have a weird launch rotation issue.

So to sum up. And this is totally non-specific to the problem I suppose - just good practice:

Delete / Uninstall everything. Install it one by one, and test along the way
Document exactly how it dies if it dies again.

That would be my advice. Hope it helps.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
Thank you, twobob, inspired by your reply I was able to fix the launcher menu by deleting the extensions folder completely, then creating a new, empty one, and finally uninstalling and installing again the glauncher package. In this post silver18 reports a similar issue which he fixed by installing glauncher manually. As regards the landscape orientation upon rebooting my K5 I found your post and added the orientation command to /mnt/us/.bashrc. I still wonder what got the default orientation changed in the first place. Perhaps ixtab knows better as this thread seems to suggest; but since he's busy I'll save my question for better times.
Thanks again for your help.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
no worries. basic stuff. delete, try again

Happy to help

EDIT:

If you fancy getting your hands dirty with some development we Buildroot'ers could always use another ally in the camp.

It's easy going on the 5 as well. TS and lack of buttons issues aside

Perhaps have a play with that, it will give you a real sense of the beginning to end process that goes into the creation of the devices and the supporting software's.

plus as an extra bonus you get a few hundred apps to fiddle with. : )
and a shedload of code to eye over.
See you around the block

Last edited by twobob; 10-26-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Buildroot, use the force
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glauncher