Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
JWPearson
JWPearson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Downloading files to Fire books and docs folders

When I push new book files with Calibre to the Kindle Fire books and docs folders, some go to books and some go to docs. Why don't they all go to books and can I always put them in books and how?

John P
JWPearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
What fornat book are you sending?
native format for Kindle is mobile/awz
If thet are epub you will need a different reading app
Epubs will never show on the books shelf on the fire
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
weirichk
weirichk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
It has to do with the Personal Doc Tag; if its not set to [EBOK] it will get placed in the docs folder. Not all publishers set the tag correctly (or consistently).

If you go to the Calibre section of this forum and search for [EBOK] you can find instructions. With Calibre you can do a mobi to mobi conversion to set the tag.

Hope this helps,
Kurt
weirichk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
drjpreston
Enthusiast
drjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 & Fire
I am sure there may be a better way but this is how I solved the location problem.

Be sure to update your Calibre program with every Friday’s update.

Open Calibre and go to Preferences. Go to output options. Go to Mobi output. Delete what is in the Personal Doc Tag box. Click Apply in the upper left corner.

I do not know if it is always necessary but I have gotten into the habit of doing the following every time I add a new book: (You can also delete books on your KF and re-add them after do this with books already on Calibre in order to move them from Documents to Books).

I highlight the book. I click on Edit Metadata button at the top left. I check to be sure the title and author are right. Sometimes they will be reversed or the title will have addition information that needs to be deleted. Once it is right I click OK at bottom right. It gives me a choice of covers. I usually choose Amazon if available. I click OK and it exits out to main Calibre page.

I then click convert books. I wait until done. I attach KF via USB. I highlight the book again and click Send to device.

I have had very good luck having books show up under books.

Remember however that even if they do show up under Documents there is no disadvantage except they are found in a different place on KF. They read the same way from both places.
drjpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
weirichk
weirichk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
@djpreston - That is pretty much the workflow I use. In the preferences section I have replaced what was in the personal docs tag with the tag [EBOK]. This ensures that the converted book will always end up in the book section, on any ebook reader.

@JWPearson - What @djpreston and I are describing is doing a mobi to mobi conversion to reset the personal docs tag. In addition both of us use Calibre's features to ensure the metadata is correct and a good cover is associated with the book.
weirichk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
JWPearson
JWPearson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks to all! I will try updating the setting and see if this works OK for me. I'm learning fast how to set things right on new books in Calibre. Great program. I will also watch for updates to it.

John P
JWPearson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle fire folders