Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
lookin
lookin began at the beginning.

Device: none
ereader for windows, linux and OSX

Hi,
I need a ereader software that I could install on all three but would refer to one common folder (which contains the books). So that I could start reading a book in linux at work and come back at home and continue raeding it on windows. The bOOks are in pdf format.
lookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
cbeerse
cbeerse began at the beginning.

Device: none (my wifes kinlde...)
For a start: calibre comes with a reader. Calibre is available on your platforms so, there you go.

On the amazon site, you can fetch the amazon/kinlde software for pc. as far as I know, that is available for a lot of platforms. I expect you can connect them to an amazon account as a physical kinlde. Then put your books in your amazon account and amazon should sync as if kindles.
cbeerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
PDF files will not sync via Amazon, only Kindle books bought from Amazon. There is a kludge via Calibre, but I don't think it works with PDFs, only .mobi/.azw, so you'd have to convert the documents. There might be a problem finding an ASIN for PDF files, though.

I believe the Kindle app under Linux would have to be used via Wine.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
cbeerse
cbeerse began at the beginning.

Device: none (my wifes kinlde...)
If its about the sharing of the documents: have a look at Dropbox (www.dropbox.com). That can do a nice job on sharing/syncing local directories between linux, windows and various other platforms (smartphones and such).

For the reader software: I'd say to install local variants on each platfrom. For pdf: acrobat, foxit or sumatra are names that come to mind, available on multiple platforms.
cbeerse is offline   Reply With Quote