Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #211
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The missing rotation submenu has been fixed and the first post has been updated with a new version for new devices. The old 3XX devices all had g-sensors, so the code was never broken for them. In fact, it may only be the 611 with a recent firmware version that has the problem, since no one else has complained.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #212
Colognese
eReader
Colognese began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 2; iRex Iliad ER0141; PocketBook Color Lux; Sony DPT-S1
A big thank you - works like charm on my new Color Lux. Note that I had to copy the app to /applications rather than /system/bin/applications to make it run.
Many thanks!
Colognese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:08 AM   #213
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colognese View Post
A big thank you - works like charm on my new Color Lux. Note that I had to copy the app to /applications rather than /system/bin/applications to make it run.
Many thanks!
You need to copy it to /applications and also to /system/bin to cover all possibilities. The copy in /applications is for opening in the Applications tab to look a folders with image files (JPG, GIF, PNG, TIFF) in them. The copy in /system/bin is for opening CBZ/CBR archives from the Library tab (once you have modified /system/config/extensions.cfg properly).

I'm glad the program is working well for you. Writing a program that works on all of the different models of PocketBook ereaders is a challenge, and one that I often get wrong.

How do you like your new device for viewing images? Is it comfortable to read on? I'm thinking about buying the Inkpad when it comes out to use in place of my 902. These new 8" devices sound very nice, except that they don't have a g-sensor. I will miss that feature, since it makes it so easy to switch between portrait and landscape modes as desired.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #214
Davy8
Davy8 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 912
I notice a small bug while reading in landscape.

How to reproduce it:
- open a book
- set orientation to landscape
- set zoom to fit width
- set the step setting to 50
- scroll down (here it's ok)
- turn off and on
- scroll down
the step seems to be relative to the page width beside page height

To get the right step back, I only have to set the step setting in the configuration menu each time I turn it back on or change chapter.

Thank you for your work. Your app is really useful to me.

Last edited by Davy8; 07-21-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Davy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #215
rkomar
Wizard

Thanks for the detailed bug report, it made it easy to find the step size problem and fix it. I'm getting ready to release a new version of the program with some new features (more multitouch gestures, quicker cartoon panel navigation, smaller menus on new devices, and margin cropping). Before I release, I need to ask the usual translators to provide translations for some of the new features. When that is done, the new release will have this bug fix, as well.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #216
__Claire__
__Claire__ began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Era
The program works flawlessly on the new PocketBook Ultra (aka 650) !
There is just one minor difference : there is no /system/config/ folder, I added the extensions.cfg to /system/profiles/default/config.
__Claire__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #217
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Claire__ View Post
The program works flawlessly on the new PocketBook Ultra (aka 650) !
There is just one minor difference : there is no /system/config/ folder, I added the extensions.cfg to /system/profiles/default/config.
Thanks for letting everyone know about that; PocketBook seem to always change something with each new release. I added a config file for the Ultra and for the Aqua to the device_cfg.zip file attached to the first post in this thread. I recommend installing the config file for your reader since it will allow you to use the Next/Prev buttons for scrolling the screen as well as page turning.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #218
rkomar
Wizard

I finally got around to uploading the new release (version 1.0!). To honour the first version number, I added a margin cropping feature that should work on all devices, old and new. When margin cropping is enabled, a ">||<" icon appears in the toolbar. Defaults for some of the margin cropping parameters can be set in the Configuration menu. I also changed the cartoon panel navigation to jump to the Next/Prev panel that isn't entirely visible in the display already. That should cut down on the number of times the buttons have to be pressed when reading in panel mode. I broke up the main menu into two parts for newer devices since it was too big to fit on the screen in landscape mode. Things that you need to do often are in the first menu, and things you generally only do once are in the second. I also added two new two-fingered gestures. Tap with two fingers to bring up the second menu (the first menu is still brought up with a one-fingered tap). Rotate the screen by dragging two fingers in the direction that you want the images to be aligned from top to bottom. I also fixed the bug to do with the step size not being set to the configured value at start up. The new features and help items have translations supplied by PascalV, seiichiro0185 and dtanis, as usual. The Hungarian translation will hopefully be updated in the future when the translator is made aware of it.

I thought long and hard about what other features it might be good to add to this version, and I wasn't able to think of anything worthwhile. Except for bug fixes, the program may be good enough not to need much more work (knock on wood).
Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 AM   #219
Hebustroll
Hebustroll began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Color Lux
Great work!
Hebustroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #220
Balteck
Balteck began at the beginning.

Device: Aura HD
Hello everybody! I'm a owner of Kobo Aura HD that I use for reading comics in CBR or CBZ format. I'm looking for a bigger and colorful solution.
On 6.8" e-ink pearl screen, sometimes I need to zoom to read the comic and I would like to have one page at screen.
I read this thread and the Color Lux seems a good alternative. I wish to ask to the owners of this eReader if the quality is similar of an Aura HD display and how is the performance of reading?

I've read the the panel (E-ink Triton?) offers only 4096 colors. Maybe is better to set the color depth to 12 bit instead of 24? I don't know if it is possible, but would it be a good hint for the developer and a good choice for the readers?

If I'm too much off topic, I'm sorry and I will open a new thread.

Thank you very much
Balteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #221
rkomar
Wizard

I don't have a Colour Lux, so I'll let someone who has one answer whether the quality is adequate. I can say that images are decoded into bitmaps using standard libraries (libjpeg, libpng, libtiff,...), and I don't think any of those support 4+4+4 bit output directly. I'm also not sure that such a bitmap could be displayed properly by the Inkview display library. So, I just stuck with the standard 8+8+8 bit output for RGB images. For grayscale images, you can choose between 4 and 8 bit output, but I don't remember whether 4 bit images were any faster to display than 8 bit. They take up less space in memory, but you have to do bit operations to pull the 4 bit pixel value out of the 8 bit byte value in memory, so the difference in speed doesn't turn out to be very large if you start changing the gamma or contrast or brightness of the images. Finally, the way that colour is produced on an E-Ink display uses up 4 of the grayscale pixels (arranged in a 2x2 array) under the colour filter. So, the resolution of the colour screen is only half of what E-Ink display underneath offers. Thus, none of the colour E-Ink ereaders come close to the resolution of the Aura.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #222
Kolbo5
Kolbo5 doesn't litterKolbo5 doesn't litter

Device: PB 650 (Ultra)
Hello,

unlike Claire I can not run pbimageviewer on the PocketBook Ultra (650).
I have :
- put the file pbimageviewer.app (pro-360+ version) on system/bin
- put the extensions.cfg on system/config/ (I have this folder, perhaps because I did not activate the profiles?)
- just in case, I also copied the extensions.cfg into the folder /system/profiles/default/config (but I have to create profiles/default/config ...)
- I copied file 650.cfg in /system/share/pbiv/
I see the cbz files, but when I want to open it, the Ultra seems to try (I see a hourglass) but it disappears and nothing other happens.
I have try with application (put pbimageviewer.app in applications folder) it does not work either.

Did I forget something?
Is there a file where I could find logs to investigate?

Thanks for your answers.
Kolbo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #223
rkomar
Wizard

Hi Kolbo5. Sorry about your problems. It sounds like you set everything up correctly. Since you see the cbz files in the Library app, it means the extensions.cfg file was read correctly. pbimageviewer does have a log file that you can configure, but it is off by default. You can turn it on by hand by editing the file /system/config/pbimageviewer.cfg and setting:

Code:
log_dir_idx=1
Log messages will then be written to pbiv.log in the internal memory filesystem. The log file contains output that the program normally writes out. Unfortunately, if the program is crashing, the error message from that won't be written to the file. The only way to see it is to run the program within a terminal and see what the error message is. You can get a terminal by installing pbterm and running it on the reader, or installing utelnetd and using telnet to connect to the ereader from a PC. Let me know if you need anymore help.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #224
Kolbo5
Kolbo5 doesn't litterKolbo5 doesn't litter

Device: PB 650 (Ultra)
Hello rkomar, thank's for your help.

I have install pbterm and when I try to run pbimageviewer.app (from dir /mnt/ext1/applications) I have the error message : "pbimageviewer.app: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I have the firmware W650.5.3.174 (published date : 20141010_134343) I think the libraby as been update : in /usr/lib I have libtiff.so, libtiff.so.5 and libtiff.so.5.2.0 but I dont have any libtiff.so.3*.

Is there a solution that does not require installing sdk to re-build?

(Just in case : for libjpeg and libpng I have the folowing file in /usr/lib : libjpeg.so, libjpeg.so.8, libjpeg.so.8.0.2, libpng12.so, libpng12.so.0 and libpng12.so.0.51.0)
Kolbo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #225
rkomar
Wizard

Thank you Kolbo5, that was good detective work. Unfortunately, I can't think of any easy ways to get around this. The only SDK available is quite old now, and matches the libraries on the older devices. It looks like the version 5 firmware devices are going to be incompatible with apps for older devices that use shared libraries. That makes me a bit nervous about buying the Inkpad now, since I really want to use pbimageviewer on that device.

We can try either installing older libraries onto the devices and altering the library search path to find them, or building pbimageviewer.app against static libraries. The problem is that, if libinkview.so was also updated in a non-backwards compatible manner, then none of this will work anyway (I don't think an older version of libinkview.so would work on the device). I'll look into the firmware for the 840 and see what other dynamic libraries have changed. It'll give me some idea of whether this is possible or not.