Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I am keeping my Mini too. Gotta start saving for that Mac Pro I'm getting in the next 5 years.

I think Apple knows they're always going to lose on the price point of these things, but it has been something they've been doing since the first Apple computer and it works because it puts money in their pockets and not in just the companies that make their chips and screens.

Google and Samsung could exit the tablet and cellphone business, and Android altogether, and it wouldn't put but a dent in their profits. Google has search, ads, and services, and Samsung has toasters.

Apple would be goners if they weren't making portable devices. And while they could focus on education and business, it would be a weak move when everything has become more mobile, and people have less of a choice in what hardware they can use.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Get a Nexus 7.2 - problem solved
Or two, it's just over half the price.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm not in the market for a new iPad at the moment but a retina mini has always been on my wish list. I have an Android tablet, all be it a Nook HD, but it's still Android and I'd never take Android over Apple, I just prefer the iOS infrastructure and a few apps I rely on don't exist for Android.

Right now I'm typing on my iPad 3 and my Nook HD is in the drawer upstairs where it's been for over a week. I'm glued to my iPad.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Or two, it's just over half the price.
That statement is even more telling than just numbers. Chances are, the N7 will see a $20-$30 price reduction over the holidays; thereby making it half the price of the new mini.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Can't quite convince myself to get another android device. I had a Motorola Droid once that gave me nothing but problems. Switched to an iPhone and never regretted it. So for now I'm stuck in the high priced apple world
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hmm..

"Yummy, Yummy", not on my tummy, but my pocket, lol ...

That iPad mini looks fantastic for my PDFs files! yeah! I am ok with my current one, but if the new one is retina display, will look fantastic.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #22
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Can't quite convince myself to get another android device. I had a Motorola Droid once that gave me nothing but problems. Switched to an iPhone and never regretted it. So for now I'm stuck in the high priced apple world
I once bought an apple and it had a worm inside. I have never bought apples ever since, I'm now an oranges man and will never look back.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I gave it a try. The 7 inches display was not for me. For people that really use the mini for reading or PDFs, the 8 inches display that the iPad mini provides is awesome. Not too big, not too small.

And I know some people will debate this, but iPads offer 4G connectivity, while Nexus does not (as far as I know) That's important to me as I want the flexibility of download books and check email on the go. And please do not tell me most cellphone carriers offer that , I know, but I do not want to use my cellphone plan for that; it uses extra battery and mine is Tmobile, speed is not the best.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think you Android folks are overlooking an important point. Apple products are bought by people who don't mind paying more. If you think that the Mini won't do well at that price point, then look at the history of Apple's iPad sales. They sell more iPads than logic would dictate--waying effing more. Hell everyone was saying the iPhone 5S/5C wouldn't sell as well as other models have, and yet they sold 9 effing million of those suckers in a few weeks. That is a record number even for Apple. Googlie-crap just doesn't have the marketing flare and appeal that Apple stuff does. When it comes to sales, specs often don't mean a darn thing to the average consumer.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-22-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I don't care what people use. My statement was said in jest. For me, either Android or iOS would work. I went with Android because the devices are cheaper.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Mavericks is FREE!!!!
What's "Mavericks"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
And I know some people will debate this, but iPads offer 4G connectivity, while Nexus does not (as far as I know) That's important to me as I want the flexibility of download books and check email on the go. And please do not tell me most cellphone carriers offer that , I know, but I do not want to use my cellphone plan for that; it uses extra battery and mine is Tmobile, speed is not the best.
There's an LTE version of the Nexus 7, I believe ($349).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
There is and it's 32GB for that price.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's "Mavericks"?
Most recent Apple Os.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Is it 8 inches? If not, I pass.

Like I said, 7 inches is still too small for PDFs. That's the main usage of mine: read PDF books.

Also, I am not a fanboy. I've tried and used Android, Nook, Kindle, iPads, you name it. And honestly? I have not found any tablet that renders PDFs as fast and nice as iPad does. The stability and quality of the Apple apps that I have on mine are way better of the similar apps that I used to have on the Google counterpart.

Do not get me wrong. I am not saying that Nexus is a bad tablet. But I do believe that for PDF reading there is still nothing better than GoodReader+Apple iPad.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-22-2013 at 04:49 PM.