Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Hit one this morning and they had just sold the last one. Called a second store and they were holding their last one for someone who was on his way (which was my idea as well). Those were the only two in 50 miles of me. Going to try some price matching then give up.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
price matching
Hm... let use know how that goes!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Last night when I saw this thread three stores showed that they had them in stock. This morning, none. Oh well.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Sales like these don't last long. Sites like SlickDeals get the word out fast and stock depletes rather rapidly. Quite a few stores were either sold out yesterday or never had them in stock to begin with.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Hm... let use know how that goes!
  • Target does not price match Radio Shack online, so I would have had to have a printed ad.
  • Best Buy price matched Radio Shack after verifying online themselves (had my smartphone as proof). I got the last one in my store.
  • Haven't tried Wal-Mart, but they're often good about it as well.

BTW, a salesperson at RadioShack confirmed that the 97 in $19.97 indicates that it's a clearance price, not a sale.

Does anyone know the Radio Shack catalog number for the Nook SimpleTouch with GlowLight? The saleperson was unable to find it in the computer to see if any stores here still had it in stock. Since it's not online, I can't do the pricematch trick.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
  • Target does not price match Radio Shack online, so I would have had to have a printed ad.
  • Best Buy price matched Radio Shack after verifying online themselves (had my smartphone as proof). I got the last one in my store.
  • Haven't tried Wal-Mart, but they're often good about it as well.
Congrats on your purchase. After one phone call, I'm not even gonna bother.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Congrats on your purchase. After one phone call, I'm not even gonna bother.
Thanks. I got my wife's 1st gen Nook WiFi via price match at Wal-Mart on Black Friday (BestBuy ad) a few years back. I think it was $99.99 which was a great deal at the time. The trick is not to tell them you've checked the original store and found them to be out of stock. Just play dumb and ask them to price match.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The web site said my local RS store had one, and I had to go out for some pressure duster anyway....but they were sold out when I got there.

HOWEVER the guy pointed out that the Kindle Keyboard (K3) 3G+Wifi went on clearance for $39.95 today....So I grabbed the last one they had of that. :-)
Not sure if I'll give it as a gift or keep it as a spare (it's my current favorite reader) but I couldn't resist grabbing it.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I managed to pick up nook STR at a local Radio Shack. I'm not sure I am going to keep it. The font handling is not all that good compared to my 650.

The same eBook with the same embedded font is noticeably lighter. I do have 30 days to return it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-09-2013 at 04:21 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I managed to pick up nook STR at a local Radio Shack. I'm not sure I am going to keep it. The font handling is not all that good compared to my 650.
Yeah, those Sony's are kind of hard to beat for style and functionality, but don't really compete on price. I loved my 600 until I replaced it with the T1. I saw the T1 on clearance at Target just before the T2 came out (for $40) and was sorely tempted to buy a second one. My friend was showing me some of the new functionality on his PaperWhite and they were things I've been able to do for years on the Sony (other than the light).
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Last night when I saw this thread three stores showed that they had them in stock. This morning, none. Oh well.
When I read this thread last night they showed "in stock". This morning, I decided to call first, as there are two stores close to me; They were sold out yesterday afternoon. Darn.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I decide to return the nook, I could sell it instead of returning it.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah, those Sony's are kind of hard to beat for style and functionality, but don't really compete on price. I loved my 600 until I replaced it with the T1. I saw the T1 on clearance at Target just before the T2 came out (for $40) and was sorely tempted to buy a second one. My friend was showing me some of the new functionality on his PaperWhite and they were things I've been able to do for years on the Sony (other than the light).
The font rendering engine Sony uses just blows away the one that B&N uses. I'd have to increase the weight even more then I do for the Sony. What I find acceptable for my 650 I find too light on the nook.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #29
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
I got Best Buy to price match today.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #30
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
I got Best Buy to price match today.

Greg
I just price matched another one at a different Best Buy since the first one only had one left: one to keep and one for a gift. If I can find a GlowLight, I may return/gift the second one.