Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Thanks for the replies! They given me more to think about and listed other options I didn't think about. As far as my music goes, I guess the majority of it doesn't need to go on the tablet. The cloud is a great option and playlists are a great option as well. The majority of my apps appear to be free but some were paid apps (primarily the games and some niche apps).
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I would also suggest reading on them before purchasing, if you can.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
another thing. If you wait a few months the present ipad mini will be cheaper, and I have a feeling Apple will lower the price of the new iPad mini next time (a little)?
and of course the old one will drop in price. For me, I would get the one you really want unless you have real money problems, and if it was me, I would wait a few months and get the better one, and at a cheaper price
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
iTunes hasn't sold DRM music for more than 3 years, so I assume your music is from before you got the iPod?
If you want it un-DRM'ed, you can by iTunes Match for a single year (One time fee of 25$), and it should "upgrade" all your music to DRM free (And higher quality in some cases).
Yes, some of my music from iTunes is older than three years old. I was thinking about doing iTunes Match after reading about it yesterday. De-DRM'ing is an incentive I didn't even know about. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
another thing. If you wait a few months the present ipad mini will be cheaper, and I have a feeling Apple will lower the price of the new iPad mini next time (a little)?
and of course the old one will drop in price. For me, I would get the one you really want unless you have real money problems, and if it was me, I would wait a few months and get the better one, and at a cheaper price
And if you wait yet a few more months, there'll be a better one, and the one before that will be cheaper. But wait, if you wait yet a few more months, the new one will be even better, and the prior one will be discounted!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
They both suck unfortunately, get a Samsung or Thinkpad
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
faithbw
Guru

The Samsung is nice. My mother has a Galaxy Tab. I loved using it when I visited her. She loves it too (and my mother is not a techie by any stretch of the imagination). Best Buy has the 8GB for $199.00 but it has expandable storage. Of course, I probably won't get the most timely Android updates since Samsung is known for dragging their feet in that department.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #23
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
The Samsung is nice. My mother has a Galaxy Tab. I loved using it when I visited her. She loves it too (and my mother is not a techie by any stretch of the imagination). Best Buy has the 8GB for $199.00 but it has expandable storage. Of course, I probably won't get the most timely Android updates since Samsung is known for dragging their feet in that department.
Samsung just released the Jelly Bean update for the GTab 2 7.0. I installed it and was impressed with the improvement over the previous ICS.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #24
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
I do not see that. The current mini is selling very well at its $329 price so no need for a price drop anytime soon. And I am not of the belief that the price of the next mini will be lower, especially with retina.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Samsung just released the Jelly Bean update for the GTab 2 7.0. I installed it and was impressed with the improvement over the previous ICS.
What are the improvements?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What are the improvements?
JB has many speed improvements under the hood, things are just smoother. You won't see much, other than the transitions are nicer on JB, and you get Google Now. But the good bits are all under the hood.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks. I'll have to install it on my Tab 2 7.0".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #28
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
On my galaxy tab 2 10.1 the main improvements with Jelly bean are speed improvements and smoother performance. It seems to be more stable, no crashes, reboots or turning itself off since the update, although it did delete all the content on my SD card last week. I also got google now and the pop up video feature and lock screen widgets.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 01-23-2013 at 03:54 AM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoolcon001 View Post
I suggestion is that you should buy ipad mini
Suggestions usually carry more weight when they're backed up with some data. The OP wants the device for reading, so you should explain why you think the mini is the best device for that purpose (hint: it is not).
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #30
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
huh, i'm in the same boat looking for new tablet for my wife...but she's more into movies on tablet...and pdf magazines...it looks like ipad mini description for me, but she also likes better handling of files and android openness...maybe to put new galaxy tab 8 into equation?
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote