Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Pennylee
Pennylee began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Hello from W.Australia. Please help me

Found it rather hard to choose the right area to ask for help, so hope this reaches
a kind helper.
My Amazon Kindle was a present from my son a few months ago,and has worked
well up to now. Suddenly it refused to work properly at all. Now after charging the battery, which it told me was flat, it has resumed its previous good work, but
has lost its wireless connection. So I can read but not get books from the store.
The complication is that my son is away travelling and I would have trouble pursuing him from place to place. I don't know where he purchased the item; I never learned its password (although I know its designated name) and I so far cannot find a local agent here to set me
(possibly) on the right path. Two computers in this house are responding perfectly well to wireless connection. Thanks in advance for advice. Penny
Pennylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Hi Penny,

Maybe you could go to Dick Smith to get some help? They sell it so might be able to help if you haven't tried them.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully someone else can offer better advice!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
contact Kindle (NOT! Amazon) customer support! good luck and let us know how it turns out!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Pennylee

Thanks, ladies. Dick Smith's shop was courteous but unable to help. I'll seek help
a little more, or else wait patiently till I can get more details from son, I suppose.

I don't think there is a local agent in W.A.. worse luck Penny
Old 10-08-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I know this might be too obvious for words, but have you checked that wireless is turned on? It's possible that it might have turned itself off when it was running short of power.

To check just press the Menu button. If the top option says Turn Wireless On navigate up to that option and press the 5 way key.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
If the wireless in on, try to restart the kindle. Mine also need to restart sometimes to reconnect the wifi.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Pennylee

Thanks, Alex and Sucah. Menu says "Turn Wireless Off". It shows me two possible wi fi
networks, both padlocked.

I have never learned how to restart the Kindle,* and the thought actually frightens me, so
perhaps I will be a little more patient (especially since I can read some books I still have.)

Appreciate the offers to help, anyway. Penny

*presuming this means something more than clicking to turn wireless on.

Last edited by Pennylee; 10-08-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: trying to clarify
Old 10-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
Is either of those (padlocked) networks yours? You should be able to recognize the name.

The problem might be that the wireless access point (router or cable modem) in your home has stopped working or come unplugged.
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
If one of those wireless networks is yours... your Kindle forgot the password when the battery dipped. You might have to log back on with it.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
Hi Penny,
If you want to try restart the kindle, this how to do it: first press 'home', 'menu', press 'down' 5 times (go to settings) and press center of 5 way button. Now you are on 'Settings Page', press 'menu' once again, press 'down' 2 times (goto restart, make sure not to 'Reset to Factory Defaults') and press center of 5 way button. That's all, just wait until you home screen restore (no more than 3 minutes on mine).
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucah View Post
Hi Penny,
If you want to try restart the kindle, this how to do it: first press 'home', 'menu', press 'down' 5 times (go to settings) and press center of 5 way button. Now you are on 'Settings Page', press 'menu' once again, press 'down' 2 times (goto restart, make sure not to 'Reset to Factory Defaults') and press center of 5 way button. That's all, just wait until you home screen restore (no more than 3 minutes on mine).
A much easier way is to simply slide and hold the power switch for 15 seconds; the Kindle will automatically restart.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Pennylee

Thanks, folks.