Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-17-2020, 04:47 AM   #1
cozylummox
cozylummox began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Question ePub + CSS -> PDF = in xhtml splits

Hi all, trying to make my epub/PDF conversions look a bit nicer and have taken to using a feature I hadn't before. In conversion box, Look & feel > Expand CSS (checked) > Styling > Extra CSS. Note I'm also using search and replace (as I always have).

Once I add the CSS, during the conversion from epub to PDF, Calibre takes the maybe 3 - 5 xhtml pages I had and splits them up, seemingly after my page break code (
Code:
<div style="page-break-before:always;"></div>
)-- typically there could be 10-20 different 'pages' that are split this way.

To make the ePub evergreen we want the epub as manageable as possible... 4 longish xhtml files are better than 50...Any ideas?
cozylummox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozylummox View Post
Hi all, trying to make my epub/PDF conversions look a bit nicer and have taken to using a feature I hadn't before. In conversion box, Look & feel > Expand CSS (checked) > Styling > Extra CSS. Note I'm also using search and replace (as I always have).

Once I add the CSS, during the conversion from epub to PDF, Calibre takes the maybe 3 - 5 xhtml pages I had and splits them up, seemingly after my page break code (
Code:
<div style="page-break-before:always;"></div>
)-- typically there could be 10-20 different 'pages' that are split this way.

To make the ePub evergreen we want the epub as manageable as possible... 4 longish xhtml files are better than 50...Any ideas?

Editing with a EPUB editor like in Calibre or Sigil makes editing 1 or 100+ files just as simple. F&R has a selector Current, All HTML, Marked

IMHO Working on BIG files is slower, allows for more damage quickly

KISS. Touch only what needs touching, and leave the rest alone
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2020, 12:23 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
if you dont want conversion to split on page breaks use the option for it in the epub output section of the conversion dialog
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, css, epub to pdf