Notices

Old 03-14-2024, 02:20 AM   #31
iscilyas
iscilyas began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_coco View Post
Thanks for the efforts.
I wondering if you guys are intresting in porting a Mobiscribe Origin's firmware to Tolino or Nook devices?
Mobiscribe origin (2nd gen) also uses a Allwinnber B300 CPU, and it's also made by netronix.
Ryogo had port the 1st gen Mobiscribe to Nook and Tolino devices few years ago. I believe the 2nd gen can also be port to the lastest few devices.
that's interesting... i hadn't even heard of mobiscribe origin tbh :P

is it worth it, though? since the mobiscribe has a stylus and seems primarily focused on taking notes? (that based on 5 minutes of googling)

i also couldn't find the post/repository for the mobiscribe origin port :-/

what i think would really be awesome is to perhaps port the kobo software (from the sage or something that uses the b300) to see if the battery life improves... actually i'm not a big fan of stock kobo software either. but i just hate it that on all the forums they trash the tolinos for being android. or i don't know if anyone has played with inkboxos (or postmarketos or something) but getting away from android might be interesting. and maybe as a first effort, it would be good to fix koreader on tolino so it isn't such a battery hog. and grandiose plans for the future might involve changing the plato ebook reader (which, i gotta say, has a pretty sweet user interface) to have pdf reflow (it's just a shame it doesn't have it) and to be less fascist about "kobo only". not sure how that would work.. a rewrite for android? or maybe just accept that android is the future of ebook readers and come up with a really nice ebook reader for android :P

now ask me how many of those i'm actually going to do :P
iscilyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:27 AM   #32
iscilyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by litrpguy View Post
On a side note, how do you guys refresh every page on your Vision 6? Can't seem to find an app to do this.
i don't
seriously though, at least on the vision6 (and using the "BETA" reader app) there's almost zero ghosting. do you need full refresh on every page?

having said that, in the tolino app under "Reading Settings" (on page 3) there's a setting for "Screen Refresh" frequency, and you can set it to "every page". maybe that's what you're looking for.
Advert
Old 03-14-2024, 04:17 AM   #33
f_coco
f_coco began at the beginning.

Device: InkPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscilyas View Post
that's interesting... i hadn't even heard of mobiscribe origin tbh :P

is it worth it, though? since the mobiscribe has a stylus and seems primarily focused on taking notes? (that based on 5 minutes of googling)

i also couldn't find the post/repository for the mobiscribe origin port :-/

what i think would really be awesome is to perhaps port the kobo software (from the sage or something that uses the b300) to see if the battery life improves... actually i'm not a big fan of stock kobo software either. but i just hate it that on all the forums they trash the tolinos for being android. or i don't know if anyone has played with inkboxos (or postmarketos or something) but getting away from android might be interesting. and maybe as a first effort, it would be good to fix koreader on tolino so it isn't such a battery hog. and grandiose plans for the future might involve changing the plato ebook reader (which, i gotta say, has a pretty sweet user interface) to have pdf reflow (it's just a shame it doesn't have it) and to be less fascist about "kobo only". not sure how that would work.. a rewrite for android? or maybe just accept that android is the future of ebook readers and come up with a really nice ebook reader for android :P

now ask me how many of those i'm actually going to do :P
You can check this pic out.
For the Mobiscribe Origin's firmware, it has a better status bar which has a refresh button and a CTM control app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927-scaled.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	206881  
f_coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 03:01 PM   #34
Waldy
Connoisseur
Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo,Tolino,BN,PB,Kindle,Likebook,Inkbook
Quote:
Great! I guess i'll push a new "release" at this point and call it a day. Maybe I'll make some more partitions visible to TWRP (in case someone wants to do anything with them for whatever reason. But otherwise I think it's "done".
I wanted to ask, did you intentionally not include the "media_data" section on Vision6 and Shine4?
These are releases from 03/13/2024.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13-03.png
Views:	35
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	206888  
Waldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:10 AM   #35
iscilyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldy View Post
I wanted to ask, did you intentionally not include the "media_data" section on Vision6 and Shine4?
These are releases from 03/13/2024.
now that you mention it... i guess i was playing around with the blocklist you sent for the Epos 3 and added that partition without really thinking about it...

There are a bunch of other partitions on the device that probably aren't being used for anything (but of course i have no idea)... what do you think? a good idea to expose them for "backup" at least in twrp? (i think i know the answer to my own question... "why not?" :P)

i'll do that.

btw (i know this doesn't belong in this thread) but you seem to be quite active on a number of forums... do you know of anyone else who's replaced/upgraded the system webview (the little embedded browser for android that the stock tolino reading app (and einkbro etc) use)? i was trying out einkbro on my vision6 the other day and it was pretty bad (some sites wouldn't open at all, or would hang and fill the log with error messages)... i need to do some comparative battery/memory testing (1gb is really too little for modern browsers i guess) but i've upgraded webview 61 -> 122 (the latest) and well yeah it's clearly living dangerous on the edge (with 30MB free ram and 26MB on swap with an average ebook loaded... although i've tried with much bigger epubs as well as large pdfs and didn't see much of a difference in RAM usage... need more testing). the bottom line is that those formerly broken sites now open fine on einkbro (and well... i was trying to see if i could use flowoss through the browser but clearly that needs more ram and crashed the browser)... anyway. just an interesting thing to tinker with. maybe i'll do a write-up of how to do it. (although i think it would be more interesting to someone with a glowlight 4 with 2gb of ram... i knew i should have bought that one instead :P :P

Last edited by iscilyas; 03-15-2024 at 02:11 AM. Reason: i have a vision6, not a shine6 :P
Advert
Old 03-18-2024, 09:20 PM   #36
litrpguy
litrpguy began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 6, Nook Glowlight 4
Quote:
hey @litrpguy
that's great! thanks!

you can get it from here
https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_b...3.0-glowlight4

(flashing should be the same as what @waldy explained before)

if you're already using @Ryogo-X's twrp release, the main difference with mine should be that MTP works (device storage shows up as "disk" on windows)

BTW, if you haven't done so already (since you were one of the earliest testers... and i should have tagged my releases "alpha" etc) you really ought to flash a newer release of twrp for the vision6 (latest v0.3).. if you're still at 0.1 that's broken and might crash when plugging in
Thanks man! Will try it out when I get back in two weeks time, currently on vacation so my wife won't let me touch her nook lol.
litrpguy is offline   Reply With Quote