Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 03-09-2024, 03:27 PM   #16
Waldy
Connoisseur
Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo,Tolino,BN,PB,Kindle,Likebook,Inkbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscilyas View Post
hey thanks for the block list.

it looks like the same disk layout as on the nook glowlight 4 (the one ported by @Ryogo-X)... that's odd. what happens with TWRP for Nook Glowlight 4 if you put it on the Epos 3? Doesn't boot at all? Maybe different kernels then...
TWRP for Nook Glowlight 4 from Riogo does not launch on Shine4 and Epos3.

Quote:
anyway, if you send me the stock recovery image for Epos 3 (i'm assuming it's pretty much identical to that on the Vision 6, but let's play it safe) i'll build TWRP for it and send it to you for testing.

also if you give me the recovery (and getprop output) for the Shine 4 i'll see if i can't make it right-side-up..
https://mega.nz/file/m5ExTTZB#rYxQHY...zwsyvI-vf89SMY
https://mega.nz/file/DlVygDKK#RHpjwM...rXp1j_IEYjXr58
https://mega.nz/file/W4FEjaKD#DMrsiw...Qq9Oih_Adpntno

Quote:
and last but not least, if you can give me the usb vendorid/productid as reported by both of these devices i'll try to make that do the right thing too...
I have the same data for all (Vision6, Epos3; Shine4): USB\VID_4173&PID_8000
Is this how it should be?

Quote:
PS: i'm on a metered mobile internet thing so i didn't want to download those video/twrp links you sent earlier... is that the same twrp i built or did someone else do it too?
Yes, this is TWRP that you built.
Sorry, if it's not correct I can delete the files.
I just renamed it for myself as twrp-iscilyas-tv6.img, so as not to get confused when experimenting with other recovery.img.)
Attached Files
File Type: txt shine4-getprop.txt (10.2 KB, 17 views)
Waldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:58 AM   #17
iscilyas
iscilyas began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldy View Post
TWRP for Nook Glowlight 4 from Riogo does not launch on Shine4 and Epos3.
Oh. Different kernel, then.

Quote:
I have the same data for all (Vision6, Epos3; Shine4): USB\VID_4173&PID_8000
Is this how it should be?
I'm assuming yes At least, that's the way Tolino has it configured.

Quote:
Yes, this is TWRP that you built.
Sorry, if it's not correct I can delete the files.
I just renamed it for myself as twrp-iscilyas-tv6.img, so as not to get confused when experimenting with other recovery.img.)
Oh. No problem at all. I was just wondering if there's another twrp build out there that I should be aware of.

Thanks btw for all the information! I renamed the github repo to https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_b300_twrp (since hopefully I now have a larger audience than just the Vision 6). Can you try out the twrp-epos3.img from "releases" and let me know if it works? I'll also try a build with rotated screen for the Shine 4.
iscilyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2024, 10:37 AM   #18
Waldy
Connoisseur
Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Thanks btw for all the information! I renamed the github repo to https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_b300_twrp (since hopefully I now have a larger audience than just the Vision 6). Can you try out the twrp-epos3.img from "releases" and let me know if it works? I'll also try a build with rotated screen for the Shine 4.
I tested twrp-epos3.img briefly on Epos 3 and it seems to work.
However, when Epos 3 is connected to a PC, it exits TWRP and boots the system.
(The same thing will happen with Shine 4 + TWRP for Vision 6, I didn’t immediately pay attention then.)

I would like to thank you for your work and really appreciate you devoting your personal time to solving problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240310_144755069.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	206826  

Last edited by Waldy; 03-10-2024 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM   #19
iscilyas

Quote:
OK that's at least something

Quote:
(The same thing will happen with Shine 4 + TWRP for Vision 6, I didn’t immediately pay attention then.)
Great... but the Vision 6 is fine?

So you mean you start recovery without the tolino being plugged in to the PC (btw how do you even do that??) and then later you plug it in to the PC and then it basically crashes and reboots? That sounds really bizarre...

Can you send me the contents of /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops-0 (or basically all the files in /sys/fs/pstore/) right after the reboot? Maybe there will be something useful there.

Also /cache/recovery/last_log.gz and /cache/recovery/log.gz (if there's anything else there that looks interesting...)

The kernel is identical for the Vision 6 and Epos 3 (at least in recovery based on what you sent me)... so unless it has something to do with MTP mode or something barfing over that I'm stumped... does the crash happen immediately? What happens if you keep the tolino plugged in the whole time? works ok? crashes right away?

Quote:
I would like to thank you for your work and really appreciate you devoting your personal time to solving problems.
Oh you're very welcome... I've been futzing around today with the code trying to get things ready for the Shine 4 port (kept flashing the same file and wondering why the changes weren't doing anything... duh!) I like solving problems and this one is actually kind of fun

Try to provide as much information as you can on the "Epos 3 is crashing when plugged in" issue and maybe I can guess at what's wrong...
Old 03-11-2024, 05:55 AM   #20
iscilyas

Angry

OK i see that i've messed up the USB configuration and i got a kernel panic myself... sigh. Working on it.
Advert
Old 03-11-2024, 10:28 AM   #21
iscilyas

Talking

Quote:
Hey @waldy

Thanks for helping me test this stuff. I had been copy/paste'ing code without caring what it did and that bit me in the *ss. You're right. The USB code was all broken. I've reworked it completely and it seems to work flawlessly on my Vision 6. I've also (hopefully) made a proper port for the Shine 4 (with proper orientation) although I'll need you to test it out and give me the thumbs-up. Epos 3 should also just work.

https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_b...eases/tag/v0.2

Can you try out this new release on your Epos 3 and Shine 4 and let me know how it goes? Also, try out the "alternative theme" I found on a forum. I think it's awesome
Old 03-11-2024, 01:51 PM   #22
Waldy
Connoisseur

Super!!!
Now, being in TWRP, I see the Tolino disk on the PC. On all three devices. I’ll try to write in a few days how I install TWRP, there are some nuances.
As for Shine 4, the screen orientation is now correct, but the touch remains flipped 180 degrees. Here is a very short video to make it clearer.
https://mega.nz/file/Kht0DLCC#0I7MR6...EcHb2_1MlFHnk0
Old 03-11-2024, 03:26 PM   #23
iscilyas

Cool

Quote:
Super!!!
Now, being in TWRP, I see the Tolino disk on the PC. On all three devices.
Pretty cool, huh? Try out the new theme too... you'll love it

Quote:
I’ll try to write in a few days how I install TWRP, there are some nuances.
OK great! Maybe I'll update the README to include your notes (there's also a wiki... haven't used it yet.. not sure)

Quote:
As for Shine 4, the screen orientation is now correct,
yeay!

Quote:
but the touch remains flipped 180 degrees. Here is a very short video to make it clearer.
https://mega.nz/file/Kht0DLCC#0I7MR6...EcHb2_1MlFHnk0
thanks for the video. I think I understand what the problem is (spent a lot of time messing with that yesterday)

https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_b...2-shine4-swapx

This *should* theoretically fix the touchscreen problem. If you could test it and let me know that would be great....

Thanks again for all your help!

BTW, I made a PR for @Ryogo-X to backport my changes to TWRP for the Nook Glowlight 4 (I think especially my last USB changes are important) but he said he doesn't have one of those devices to test with anymore... I noticed in your sig you mention "BN"... do you have one of those? Would you be willing to test it out if I made a build?
Old 03-12-2024, 03:27 AM   #24
litrpguy
litrpguy began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 6, Nook Glowlight 4
Quote:
Install usb drivers

On Vision 6, you can also install TWRP using this method:
video

TWRP_Tolino-Vision-6.zip
Hey Waldy, noticed you have a few interesting apps. Just wanted to ask about T80srefresh, is it for setting the screen refresh?
litrpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 02:30 PM   #25
Waldy
Connoisseur

Yes, now everything is fine with twrp-shine4-swapx.img on Shine 4!
Thank you!!!
I have a work week and, unfortunately, I cannot devote much time to more detailed testing.
From "BN" I only have Nook Glowlight 3 2017 (Android 4.4.2), that's another story).
T80s refresh - screen refresh. For myself, I tie it to the top page turn button for a long press using the Xposed edge pro module.
On this forum I posted a video of how it all functions:
https://forum.alles-ebook.de/threads...e-2#post-93032
The emphasis was on screen rotations and paging buttons specifically in KoReader.
We're already getting distracted from the main topic)
Old 03-13-2024, 03:05 AM   #26
iscilyas

Red face

Quote:
Yes, now everything is fine with twrp-shine4-swapx.img on Shine 4!
Great! I guess i'll push a new "release" at this point and call it a day. Maybe I'll make some more partitions visible to TWRP (in case someone wants to do anything with them for whatever reason. But otherwise I think it's "done".

Quote:
Thank you!!!
Oh no problem at all. You've helped me a lot! Especially with letting me know about the kernel panic when plugging in the devices... that helped me realize that the USB code was broken and gave me incentive to work on it more

Quote:
I have a work week and, unfortunately, I cannot devote much time to more detailed testing.
That's alright. I don't think I need any more testing. At this point if there are any bugs they will be common to all 3 devices; not specific to any one of them. If you do come across any issues be sure to let me know.

And I've seen @Waldy on a bunch of forums, and you've also mentioned doing a write-up for "how to install" etc. If you could do that at some point that would be great (allesebook.de still doesn't accept my posts without moderator approval)

Quote:
From "BN" I only have Nook Glowlight 3 2017 (Android 4.4.2), that's another story).
Yeah. I wouldn't want to try to build twrp for that without even having the device to test with. Maybe there'll be another volunteer somewhere.

Well... thanks for the help! You've made this project a lot better than it would have been otherwise. I hope you (and others) will find it useful
Old 03-13-2024, 09:51 PM   #27
litrpguy

Quote:
Pretty cool, huh? Try out the new theme too... you'll love it

OK great! Maybe I'll update the README to include your notes (there's also a wiki... haven't used it yet.. not sure)

yeay!

thanks for the video. I think I understand what the problem is (spent a lot of time messing with that yesterday)

https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_b...2-shine4-swapx

This *should* theoretically fix the touchscreen problem. If you could test it and let me know that would be great....

Thanks again for all your help!

BTW, I made a PR for @Ryogo-X to backport my changes to TWRP for the Nook Glowlight 4 (I think especially my last USB changes are important) but he said he doesn't have one of those devices to test with anymore... I noticed in your sig you mention "BN"... do you have one of those? Would you be willing to test it out if I made a build?
I can try it on my wife's GL 4 if you're still looking for a tester
Old 03-13-2024, 09:53 PM   #28
litrpguy

On a side note, how do you guys refresh every page on your Vision 6? Can't seem to find an app to do this.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:35 PM   #29
f_coco
f_coco began at the beginning.

Device: InkPad
Thanks for the efforts.
I wondering if you guys are intresting in porting a Mobiscribe Origin's firmware to Tolino or Nook devices?
Mobiscribe origin (2nd gen) also uses a Allwinnber B300 CPU, and it's also made by netronix.
Ryogo had port the 1st gen Mobiscribe to Nook and Tolino devices few years ago. I believe the 2nd gen can also be port to the lastest few devices.
f_coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 01:50 AM   #30
iscilyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by litrpguy View Post
I can try it on my wife's GL 4 if you're still looking for a tester
hey @litrpguy
that's great! thanks!

you can get it from here
https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_b...3.0-glowlight4

(flashing should be the same as what @waldy explained before)

if you're already using @Ryogo-X's twrp release, the main difference with mine should be that MTP works (device storage shows up as "disk" on windows)

BTW, if you haven't done so already (since you were one of the earliest testers... and i should have tagged my releases "alpha" etc) you really ought to flash a newer release of twrp for the vision6 (latest v0.3).. if you're still at 0.1 that's broken and might crash when plugging in