Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 04-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #46
genfersee
genfersee began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
Thanks, it worked and ADB is working fine now.

My goal is to prepare a EPubProd.apk in which is just removed the empty bookmark icon, following the instructions:
Quote:
Remove the Bookmark Icon
In the reader app, a bookmark icon is shown on every page to indicate the place that can be tapped to add a bookmark, which I find unnecessary and distracting. To get rid of it:
Replace the file res/drawable-nodpi-v4/dogear_image_passive.png with a fully transparent PNG image to hide the icon when RMSDK is being used (this can be done even without Apktool)
To remove the icon when Readium is being used, in the file res/values/strings.xml, edit the entry for ic_dogear to read:
<string name="ic_dogear"></string>
The place can still be tapped to add a bookmark, and the icon will still be shown on bookmarked pages.
So I extracted the official EPubProd.apk from official firmware image.
Then, to validate the pushing procedure via ADB, I gave a try of the following procedire and got the EPubProd.apk running:
Quote:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
adb push EPubProd.apk /system/app/
adb shell chown root.root /system/app/EPubProd.apk
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/EPubProd.apk
adb shell chcon ubject_r:system_file:s0 /system/app/EPubProd.apk
adb shell mount -o remount,ro /system
The repushed EPubProd.apk indeed starts. Let's now modify the EPubProd.apk.

I decoded this EPubProd.apk with command:
apktool d EPubProd.apk

Then I replaced the PNG and edited the strings.xml as explained above.

Then I built the new EPubProd.apk with command:
apktool b EPubProd
(where EPubProd is a folder containing the decoded files)

I then pushed this patched EPubProd.apk to the Tolino using ADB and restarted the device.

On screen, the 3 dots are running forever and the application is not starting.

What am I doing wrong? Should I sign the EPubProd.apk ?
genfersee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:49 AM   #47
genfersee

Since the EPubProd.apk I tried to generate by myself does not work, I am trying to build it using the .bat contained in patch_installer_tolino_v9.zip at:

diff/system_app_EPubProd.apk/*.bat

Is there an entry point to launch all those .bat?
If not, in which order should I call them to generate the EPubProd.apk ?

Thanks in advance!
Advert
Old 04-24-2020, 05:00 AM   #48
Waldy
Connoisseur
Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo,Tolino,BN,PB,Kindle,Likebook,Inkbook
@genfersee
You can use TWRP to install the ready-made update.zip.

This is the official firmware 13.2.1 for Shine3 with the modified EPubProd.apk, as you wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200424_105603.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	178642  

Last edited by Waldy; 04-24-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Waldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:11 AM   #49
genfersee

Thanks @Waldy, yes, I did that already and it is working.
But I just want to prepare a customer EPubProd.apk with only the "bookmark removal" patch applied.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #50
Waldy
Connoisseur
Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo,Tolino,BN,PB,Kindle,Likebook,Inkbook
@genfersee
I did it, and tested it, but I'm not an expert, maybe someone will correct it if not right.
EPubProd.zip
Waldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2020, 12:55 AM   #51
genfersee

Thank you so much @Waldy, yes it is working!
On my side, i also managed to do it! I added 2 more patches.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #52
maxidvd
maxidvd began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
How did you install TWRP?
I'm still struggling with this :/
maxidvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #53
genfersee

For non persistent installation, I used:
fastboot boot twrp.img

For persistent installation, you must use:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Don't you manage to have this work? Are you on Windows or macOS?
Old 05-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #54
Fabyk
Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus / Onyx Boox M90
Hi,

with all your information I was able to make some kind of modern WikiReader with the Tolino Shine 2 HD. hank you so much! I sideloaded Kiwix and changed the SD Card to one with 64GB to download the whole german Wikipedia. Now my only challenge is to get rid of the scrolling in the Kiwix app. There are severals apps that will give you overlayed buttons for tapping instead of scrolling, e.g. Tap Scroll. But they need all a higher version of Android (higher than 7.0) than the one the Shine 2 is running with (4.4.2).

Maybe you have ideas for a workaround for this problem?
Fabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:16 AM   #55
Fabyk
Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus / Onyx Boox M90
Nevermind! I have found a solution using the free app Keyboard/Button Mapper. You can remap the brightness button with the action "Page_Down". Only problem now is that the brightness button does both - page_down and toggle brightness. But that should be fixable.
Fabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #56
joschua
joschua began at the beginning.

Device: tolino shine 3
HI, has anybody managed to install GApps successfully on a shine 3? I tried a suggestion from a few posts back and installed an older and smaller light package from 2015 via TWRP. The instalation seemed to go fine but when I try to log in I get an error message that either the connection is unstable or my device does not support data transfer. The same thing happens with Yalp. Is there a file missing?

I need the Playstore access in order to install Moon Reader Pro.When I try to copy the apk from any of my other devices and sideload it on the shine 3 it refuses to start claiming that the device uses the wrong CPU.
Any ideas what else I could try would be welcome.
joschua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #57
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
gapps require a newer Android version than the Tolino provides.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #58
joschua

The gapps was for 4.4.2 - the same the tolino runs.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #59
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joschua View Post
HI, has anybody managed to install GApps successfully on a shine 3? I tried a suggestion from a few posts back and installed an older and smaller light package from 2015 via TWRP. The instalation seemed to go fine but when I try to log in I get an error message that either the connection is unstable or my device does not support data transfer. The same thing happens with Yalp. Is there a file missing?

I need the Playstore access in order to install Moon Reader Pro.When I try to copy the apk from any of my other devices and sideload it on the shine 3 it refuses to start claiming that the device uses the wrong CPU.
Any ideas what else I could try would be welcome.
Try this
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:23 AM   #60
joschua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Thanks for the link but that is the free version which unfortunatly doesn't support sync via Dropbox.
Anyway, I have managed to install an older pro version via Titanium Backup and it turns out the akku consumption is just horrible and MR produces some strong ghosting effects that somehow I don't experience with the AI Reader so I guess I will stick with the latter.

Tags
adb, epubprod, mtp, tolino, twrp