Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 12-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
torto
Enthusiast
torto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1, Kindle PW2 (RIP), Kindle 4, Tolino Vision 5
Unhappy Sending webpages to Tolino

I am quite happy with my Vision 5 hardware, but I expected things to be more open when compared to Amazon's ecosystem. The most annoying thing is not having a practical way to send a web article or document to read on the Tolino. With the Kindle, it was as easy as clicking a button on Chrome.

I've so far made epubs of a few articles (with the excellent EpubPress), but I still have to generate, download, upload to the Tolino cloud (or connect via cable) and download it on the e-reader in order to read them -- quite cumbersome.

I also found out that Kobos have inbuilt Pocket integration, which is perfect as a solution. It is extremely frustrating, since it is the same hardware as Tolinos. Is there a way to set up things so that you can send web articles to a Tolino in a simple way?
torto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by torto View Post
I am quite happy with my Vision 5 hardware, but I expected things to be more open when compared to Amazon's ecosystem. The most annoying thing is not having a practical way to send a web article or document to read on the Tolino. With the Kindle, it was as easy as clicking a button on Chrome...
"Push to Kindle" (despite its name) can also save to ePub. I've installed the plugin in Firefox. Just as an experiment I uploaded an ePub version of this page to pCloud and was able to log in to the account on the Tolino's web browser and download it to the Tolino. (You have to have the patience of Job because pCloud wants to load a promo for the paid version and it's slow in an eInk web browser.) At any rate, it works — how practical it is, is another matter. I've attached a screen capture of the ePub made from this page.

EDIT: I've added the first couple screens of a 45 page "book" (encyclical). I'm impressed with Push to Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_20191228_163649.png
Views:	346
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	175933   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_20191228_165432.png
Views:	324
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	175934   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_20191228_171027.png
Views:	327
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	175935   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_20191228_171156.png
Views:	315
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	175936  

Last edited by rcentros; 12-28-2019 at 07:20 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
torto
Enthusiast

Thanks rcentros for your suggestion. It is not as smooth as I was expecting before, but works.

I've experimented with Push to Kindle and the Tolino webreader loaded in a separate browser tab, and it is also a quick solution (the epub file stays on the downloads bar after I download it, and I can simply switch to the Tolino webreader tab and drag it from the bar to the center of the page for the upload). Not perfect, but not too bad. I look forward to rooting it and eventually finding a smoother way.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Thanks rcentros for your suggestion. It is not as smooth as I was expecting before, but works.

I've experimented with Push to Kindle and the Tolino webreader loaded in a separate browser tab, and it is also a quick solution (the epub file stays on the downloads bar after I download it, and I can simply switch to the Tolino webreader tab and drag it from the bar to the center of the page for the upload). Not perfect, but not too bad. I look forward to rooting it and eventually finding a smoother way.
I wondered if the Tolino web software would allow this. Since I live in the United States I can't use the Tolino Webreader, so that option is not available to me. But I've got a USB cable constantly plugged into my desktop for side-loading, and it only takes a minute (or so) to side-load Push To Kindle documents to my ePub readers. I was just curious if it could be done without a USB connection.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-30-2019 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Corrected "with" to "without."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I look forward to rooting it and eventually finding a smoother way.
Not rooting, but open Android (German) - Google Play is not available.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
torto
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Not rooting, but open Android (German) - Google Play is not available.
Thanks for correcting me!

Do you know if this procedure depends on software version? Is it safe to do it on version 13.2.0?
Old 12-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you know if this procedure depends on software version? Is it safe to do it on version 13.2.0?
It works with all versions of Android 4.4.2 (Firmware > 11.x.x).
But very important: app swithing works with OneToucher Pro - no Launcher possible, because Tolino App must start
Old 01-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
torto
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for your answer, as soon as I can work on a PC I'll do it!

Happy new year!
Old 01-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
torto
Enthusiast

(duplicated)

Last edited by torto; 01-09-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: (duplicated)
Old 01-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
torto
Enthusiast

Hello, I just wanted to share that I've just tested this Calibre plugin and it is now working again:
https://github.com/mmagnus/Pocket-Plus-Calibre-Plugin

I don't know for how long... Anyway, it can download articles in Pocket to Calibre and have them converted to ePub in a batch. Then it is only a matter of pushing the "book" via USB (or dragging the generated ePub to the Tolino cloud). Not as good as having Pocket run natively on the e-reader, but does the job.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:33 AM   #11
torto
Enthusiast

Hi, just a quick update on this matter: I followed the instructions here for sideloading Android apps (not flashed, just sideloaded apps):
https://allesebook.de/anleitung/toli...b-root-980665/

I was a bit skeptic because my Tolino was updated to 13.2.0, but now everything is working fine, including the official Pocket for android (and an older Kindle app for direct reading and purchase at Amazon amogn other perks). Also, KOreader, which I am using now, makes IMO a much better reader than the native Tolino reader for epub and PDF files (and also connects to Calibre server, Dropbox as a bonus). There are quite a few quirks in Android, but it works and makes the Vision 5 an incredible value. Now I am super happy with my Tolino!

Thanks Ottischwenk for the help!
Old 01-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
https://allesebook.de/anleitung/tolino-vision-5-adb-root-980665/
In my opinion it would be better to boot into the Tolino App and start the programs via OneToucher as described here

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-13-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #13
torto
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll try that too! For some reason, I managed to get it working with the files in the article first. Maybe it was the fact that it adds a pair of vendor ids with one of these .bat files?

Only then things started showing up in "adb devices" for me. But since I did it a few times, maybe I'm already confusing the order of things.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard

The main reason for my suggestion is that the page refresh and back (swipe up from the bottom) is done by the Tolino app and it should run, which is not the case when using a launcher.
I used this solution for my Epos2 and it works great.
Night mode (white on black) works too.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-17-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #15
mirh
mirh doesn't littermirh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Tolino Vision HD 4
I thought KOReader was already the golden standard for this, between Calibre Companion, Send2Ebook and the generic cloud storage?
Way better than going through the cable.
mirh is offline   Reply With Quote