Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 01-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #31
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Do the Tolinos check if the update.zip is actually intended for them? I don't want to brick my Shine because I installed an Epos update.
Oh, cou can open it, change the SD with a new OS.
You wont brick it.
I installed it - no problems, but usually I donot use the built in Tolino App.
But after 13.2.1 my Tolino wants to update to 12.2!
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #32
Peripathetic
Enthusiast
Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Do the Tolinos check if the update.zip is actually intended for them? I don't want to brick my Shine because I installed an Epos update.
The update script has a basic check to abort the update if the device name is not what it expects:
Code:
getprop("ro.product.device") == "ntx_6sl"
|| getprop("ro.product.device") == "tolino_vision2" 
|| getprop("ro.product.device") == "tolino" 
|| abort("This package is for tolino devices except shine1!");
Still, other things can go wrong at times. As @ottischwenk said, best to have a complete image of the SD card, and you're covered, also in case of SD card failure which I think is much more likely. Even better to use a replacement larger/faster SD card and keep the original one as a spare.
Peripathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #33
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
But after 13.2.1 my Tolino wants to update to 12.2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripathetic View Post
The update script has a basic check to abort the update if the device name is not what it expects:
Code:
getprop("ro.product.device") == "ntx_6sl"
|| getprop("ro.product.device") == "tolino_vision2" 
|| getprop("ro.product.device") == "tolino" 
|| abort("This package is for tolino devices except shine1!");
Still, other things can go wrong at times. As @ottischwenk said, best to have a complete image of the SD card, and you're covered, also in case of SD card failure which I think is much more likely. Even better to use a replacement larger/faster SD card and keep the original one as a spare.
I've seen a disassembling video and got to the conclusion that they really tried to make sure that you break stuff if you want to disassemble the device yourself. I don't want to break a device that's only 3 months old...
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #34
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripathetic View Post
Im using in my Shine3 a 64GB SD card with 1 GB System Partition and opened Android 4.4.2.
Mainly Im using Calibre Companion with AlReader.
But must of the space is used by Kiwix with Wikipadia aso.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #35
Peripathetic
Enthusiast
Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
I've seen a disassembling video and got to the conclusion that they really tried to make sure that you break stuff if you want to disassemble the device yourself. I don't want to break a device that's only 3 months old...
In my experience, it was easy enough to pry it open with a plectrum but more of a challenge to put it together again: somehow, the back panel seemed too small to fit so I had to heat it up a bit with a hairdryer before putting it back on.
Peripathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #36
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
It's showing 13.2.1 available for the Shine 3.

https://mytolino.com/software-updates/
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:08 AM   #37
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I've upgraded my Shine 3 to 13.2.1.

Everything is running smoothly, with one exception: Using the browser, it is impossible to type text properly. I was using it to browse Mobileread, and when I tried to write replies to posts, whenever I typed a space what I had typed before would disappear (magically returning after I removed the space), and punctuation also deleted the text that went before.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote