Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 11-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
I would agree to that, but I still would say that the Tolino FW has some more limitations.
That is way too limited (IMHO). I'd go with Kobo even if it's more expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #17
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
With Tolino, you can use a specific app, that will refresh your whole screen every time it changes.

@SarahReads:

I did it once with a Tolino Shine 2HD. I had no problems doing this, but I am a software engineer, so it was kinda an easy task for me. I don't know how good you are in handling technically step by step instructions and unfortunately there are only german tutorials about how to do this!
I love my new name. Sarah, it has a nice ring to it.

I'm no software engineer, but I do consider myself inquisitive enough to be able to tinker with software on a device. I'm not afraid to try stuff.

But in German... hmmm....
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
What is different with KOReader?
I've never used KOReader. But the difference is that to install KOReader, you do not need to root or jailbreak a Kobo. Kobo is a lot more open.

KOReader does handle PDF as good as you'll get and it supports directories instead of collections. I cannot say how good it is for ePub.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Does anyone know if the devices are actually made in the same factory as the Kobos? I just want the lighting to be different from that of the Kobos, but I'm not sure if that will be the case.
I'm pretty sure that both the Kobos and Tolinos are made by Netronix. And I think they were both made by the same company even before Kobo bought Tolino. On at least with one of the earlier Tolinos you could load Kobo firmware and the specs were almost identical, except the Tolino had a home button.

As for lighting... It's good on my Tolino Shine 2 HD, Vision 4 HD and my Epos. But I couldn't say what it's like on the new ones (Vision 5, Epos 2 and Page 2). Lighting from the side of the reader (instead of the bottom or top) seems to be more of a challenge for eReader manufacturers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Given that lights from the bottom seem to be more even and more uniform, why not have the lights at the bottom? Or have the lights on both the left/right side.
Advert
Old 11-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #21
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Quote:
Sorry Susan, sooorrryy !!!

Well I really think about getting a Kobo Aura One and sell my Epos, but it's hard to get a device in good condition to a fair price here in germany. Even the used ones are being sold for 250-300€ nowadays!!!
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
It means "Princess". Princesses have rings, though of course other people do to.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What do you like about it? I want to hear the positive things about it.
I forgot to mention one of the main reasons I like Tolinos... they have ADE "built-in" so I can download directly from Overdrive or from several eBook stores (including Kobo) without having to use ADE on my computer.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:56 AM   #24
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
It means "Princess". Princesses have rings, though of course other people do to.
I am a princess! Bow to me!

Oh wait, my name isn't actually Sarah. Darn.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:58 AM   #25
SusanReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I forgot to mention one of the main reasons I like Tolinos... they have ADE "built-in" so I can download directly from Overdrive or from several eBook stores (including Kobo) without having to use ADE on my computer.
I've read about this before. I'm not sure it's anything I'll ever use though.

For now I've decided to try one more Kobo Libra. If I don't like the lighting, I might try a Vision 5 in the future.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:12 AM   #26
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Sorry Susan, sooorrryy !!!

Well I really think about getting a Kobo Aura One and sell my Epos, but it's hard to get a device in good condition to a fair price here in germany. Even the used ones are being sold for 250-300€ nowadays!!!
Jepp, I saw this too! Only after I sold mine for 158€ and the buyer is now reselling it for 306€. They do give a one year warranty though, but still, 306€????
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:36 AM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
For now I've decided to try one more Kobo Libra. If I don't like the lighting, I might try a Vision 5 in the future.
Good luck with the Libra. Sounds to me you would be happier with a Kobo and, honestly, I think both the Kobos and Tolinos are made in the same factory. I guess it's possible one has better quality control than the other -- but I don't think I would bet on it.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #28
wdshieh
wdshieh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm also highly interested in the new tolino vision 5 and epos 2, for they have page turn buttons. Has anyone tried installing the Kindle app in vision 5 or epos 2? Do the page turn button work well?
wdshieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:43 AM   #29
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
So basically if I don't like the reading options I can add a reading app so I have more options/change the look?

It sounds very good to be able to 'jailbreak' it and make it my own in every way. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Yes
Quote:
What are the things you could alter with a freed device? Only the reading app? Or things like the home screen as well?
My mainly used App is Calibre Companion.
Im reading with AlReader or Kindle App.
K9 is working too
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:49 AM   #30
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdshieh View Post
I'm also highly interested in the new tolino vision 5 and epos 2, for they have page turn buttons. Has anyone tried installing the Kindle app in vision 5 or epos 2? Do the page turn button work well?
No, the page turn buttons donot work in Kindle App.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote