Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Kindle Voyage jumps forward a chapter when switching books.

Kindle Voyage WiFi, no jailbreak, updated to 5.10.2

I have this weird problem where as long as I stay on one book, I'm okay, but if I switch to another book and switch back, it jumps forward to the next chapter. I now have to bookmark every time I leave a book. All azw3, USB loaded via Calibre.

I've done a reset and reloaded only a dozen or so books. I verified that all books are indexed. The books themselves seem fine. Very weird. Nothing seems wrong with hardware.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Generally, if you completely shut down the unit and restart it up, clears up most bugs. But you did a reset, so I'm puzzled. Neither of my Voyages have had that problem (yet), so I don't know what else to suggest.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Someone else reported essentially the same problem here. That person came to the conclusion that it had to do with custom fonts.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
Indeed. With a previous firmware version, I had this problem with some custom fonts but not with others. The solution is to choose another font.

That's said, I have no problem since the last 5.9.x version.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I use pretty small font size (‘2’). Sometimes when I return to the book after reading another one or visited Kindle Store, it has repaginated and does not open to the same location (a few paragraphs back). I’m not using custom fonts, typically (though I have about a dozen to choose from).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am in fact using the new custom fonts feature. I'll investigate and report back. Thanks.

Edit: yep it's the fonts. The fonts were throwing off the location calculation somehow. I used the same fonts with the fonts hack when I had the jailbreak -- without problems. But I guess the custom fonts feature is less forgiving.

Last edited by Barty; 01-25-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #7
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Set the bold to 1. It should fix the issue.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Someone else reported essentially the same problem here. That person came to the conclusion that it had to do with custom fonts.
I have been in the same situation for a few months, just with custom fonts. I use a Paperwhite 3. I also searched for help in Amazon Italian board, but I seemed to be the only user to have got this inconvenient..
Glad to see that so it isn't!
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I think this is either a bug in the firmware or the model of kindle reader.

I have a PW2 with 5.9.7 firmware. I'm using custom fonts very happily and (touch wood) have had no problems. I was told to put all versions of the font (regular, bold, italic, italic bold) as not doing this can cause crashes - the only issue I found was that it didn't render the missing font type, italic for example.

The OP's issue seems to be a bug in the notorious 5.10.2 firmware, maybe.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
Barty
doofus

I had this exact problem with 5.9.7, too, and upgraded to 5.10.2 hoping it'd be fixed.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
I have got the bug since 5.9.7
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
By elimination, it must be a problem with the Voyage.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:45 PM   #13
Barty
doofus

How do you file a Kindle firmware bug report that has a chance of being acted upon?
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I’m noticing that last couple of lines on one page occasionally repeat at the top of the next page. Using Bookerly Bold 1 Size 2.

And yes, I have had it skip a page. Quick fix is to change font size (pinch/spread gesture).

These things do seem more frequent than in the past.

To report bugs, I’ve used kindle-feedback@amazon.com. I don’t know if it helps in terms of getting action, but always get a polite reply.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote