Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #31
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
Which interface is 5.14.1?

My new Paperwhite 5 arrived last night and is on 5.14.0.1. It is almost identical to the old interface 5.13.6 including the old list view and setting Library as the Home Screen. Only difference is Series Grouping is gone.

Has Amazon gone back to the old interface? Or is the next version the new interface?
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #32
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis_lupus View Post

My new Paperwhite 5 arrived last night and is on 5.14.0.1. It is almost identical to the old interface 5.13.6 including the old list view and setting Library as the Home Screen. Only difference is Series Grouping is gone.

Has Amazon gone back to the old interface? Or is the next version the new interface?
It may take a little while for Series Grouping to happen as it syncs your library. Make sure the option is turned on in Settings of course.

Good question about the interface, one of the video reviews looked like the ‘old’ interface to me.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #33
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis_lupus View Post
5.14.1 has the new interface.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:48 PM   #34
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It may take a little while for Series Grouping to happen as it syncs your library. Make sure the option is turned on in Settings of course.
I do not see the options for Series Grouping in the settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
5.14.1 has the new interface.
Another Kindle to put in airplane mode.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:51 PM   #35
RegA
RegA began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite Gen 7 & 11
I just updated my Paperwhite 5 (11 Gen.) to the new firmware 5.14.1. It working well so I'll see what new option are available.
RegA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2021, 01:10 PM   #36
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I manually installed 5.14.1 hoping it would correct/reverse at least some of the horrible changes made in 5.13.7 but no, pretty much still awful. I want to see 8 titles per page, not the new stupid 5 per page. I want the back button returned and functioning as previously. I want a way after looking at the first half dozen or so pages of books in the Kindle to touch the home button once and be on page 1, not to have to backpage through all half dozen again. Mainly, I want them to stop stupidly thinking they have to make changes just for the sake of making changes and changing the look and feel to somehow seem like they are doing something. STOP FIXING WHAT ISN'T BROKEN!!!
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:31 PM   #37
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is another change coming. Apparently Library view will be ‘scrolling’ (with page up/down buttons). It’s possible they could make List view a little more compact than is what is shown in the ‘preview’ images along with that change.

Overall, I like the changes, and would not be in favor of reverting.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:21 PM   #38
ConfuSomu
ConfuSomu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Since updating to 5.14.1 a few weeks ago, my Kindle Paperwhite (7th generation) has finally managed to index my books. It was stuck for a few months since I've re-added a book with metadata that was a bit modified. I was about to factory reset the device, but gave the new firmware a chance, which did the trick.
ConfuSomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:04 AM   #39
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast

The 5.14.1 update for the Paperwhite 5 was pulled so yesterday I turned on wireless to download books. The were numerous books that hung during indexing, more yesterday than previously all of my Kindles over ten years combined. I was putting on just a few books at a time. Finally I decided to add one of my favorite series and stayed up to 3:00am putting the books on over and over and finally had to stop to get some sleep. This evening I was going to try again but the update appears to be out and I am not risking turning on wireless. All and all I did not get very many books downloaded and spent a lot of time troubleshooting indexing.

While wireless was on, the Series Group feature was added in the settings. The version stayed the same, 5.14.0.1.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #40
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I don't see much difference.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #41
mnju
mnju began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I manually installed 5.14.1 hoping it would correct/reverse at least some of the horrible changes made in 5.13.7 but no, pretty much still awful. I want to see 8 titles per page, not the new stupid 5 per page. I want the back button returned and functioning as previously. ... STOP FIXING WHAT ISN'T BROKEN!!!
This. Well, at least I discovered the new PocketBook Color. Thanks for nothing, Amazon.
mnju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:21 AM   #42
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It is also the second skipped update for the Voyage.
I can only pray this remains true.
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #43
jasius
Connoisseur
jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My g/f has an old PW probably the first one that came out, it still works but the line spacing and margins are limited to 3 options with no advanced settings, does any newer firmwares help change the margins or line spacing more to your liking?
jasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #44
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasius View Post
My g/f has an old PW probably the first one that came out, it still works but the line spacing and margins are limited to 3 options with no advanced settings, does any newer firmwares help change the margins or line spacing more to your liking?
If it is the first Paperwhite (5th generation), then it does not support ‘Enhanced Typography’ (and related features like Page Flip). Later Kindles also have more fonts and font options, and ability to side load fonts. The same line spacing and margin settings exist, but you can choose between justified and ragged right alignment (for titles that support ET).

So I would really recommend a new Kindle. Even the entry level one (I think it is $49 Black Friday price currently) will be much better than the PW1.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #45
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasius View Post
That is the way it has always been with kindles despite many complaints.

Some people mitigate this by changing each book's formatting.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote