Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #4051
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My sum up for the year - I didn't meet any of my goals this year, BUT, I did spend about $200 less than last year. I cancelled all but one subscription. I bought zero cookbooks and only 2 craft books (ebooks). Unfortunately, I still bought more books than what I can read in a year. I will be better next year. I still have 4 or 5 audiobooks left from 2009 and 12-13 from 2010, so did a good job on getting to some of the oldest stuff.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:00 PM   #4052
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I just made a challenge to read more and buy less. I hope I can do it. Bought a couple of ebooks on sale yesterday and I hooe it's a long while before I buy more. Gotta stay strong!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #4053
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I did very well in 2016. I read 30 books which is a couple more than last year.
Purchased 19
Library 7
Free 4

I bought only 11 books and spent a total of $10.61.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:03 PM   #4054
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Purchased 19
Library 7
Free 4

Wow! Awesome job! Must have been 99 cent books.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:57 AM   #4055
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Purchased 19
Library 7
Free 4

I'd say you had your buying well under control in 2016 - congratulations!

I'm delighted to announce that I haven't bought anything in 2017 so far. Eight hours down, 364 days and 16 hours to go!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:59 AM   #4056
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I am determined to look on the bright side. After that big Open Road sale, it'll be really hard for me to buy more books in 2017 than 2016!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:20 AM   #4057
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm delighted to announce that I haven't bought anything in 2017 so far. Eight hours down, 364 days and 16 hours to go!
I'm not counting subscriptions, of course! (F&SF for Jan/Feb 2017 just added to my calibre database)

After some recounting during 2016, my TBR now stands at 1185...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:02 AM   #4058
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After some recounting during 2016, my TBR now stands at 1185...
After a quick calculation from my Goodreads shelves, mine's at 2250 - not counting the two I'm currently reading. Sadly, that includes over a thousand that still need to be processed before I can load them onto my reader - and about 440 of those are from the Open Road sale.

I think the operative expression now is, *glub*.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:44 AM   #4059
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:

I, on the other hand, have bought five of those sale books I've been deferring from the end of December. Still, I did reduce my TBR in 2016.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #4060
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Peccavi.

December 29. I almost made it through the month. But I read a review in my alumni magazine and I had a coupon and....

I knew I shouldn't. I could offer up a few semi-excuses, but that doesn't alter the reality of far too many purchased-but-unread books this year. In expiation, I'll try to justify it after the fact by making reading it a priority.

I do think that's it for the year, so I'll do my year-end wrap-up.
Honestly, you'd think I'd know me better. Of course once I cracked and bought a book (on the 29!), two more followed in quick succession. Alas, it's a few factors. One is that as I've said, not buying can get to be a habit, but once you fall of the wagon, all bets are off. A related one is that once you've blown a goal, what's to keep you in check? At least the outlay was minimal. Both were "deals;" the first a buck at Kobo with a 50% coupon, the second $2 (in credit) at Amazon. And I did manage to go for more than a month (Nov 27 to Dec 29) without buying anything.

Obviously I'm a feast or famine type (and I did know that about myself). So that means it really does have to be no purchases at all. I'll take it a month at a time.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #4061
Rev. Bob
Wizard

The two good things I can say about my graphic novel buying binges are that (1) I use reward-point credit, rather than spending cash, and (2) I tend to read the new purchases quickly; the comiXology app's good for that.

In the last days of 2016, I bought a dozen graphic novels - Marvel was having a big sale. I read five of those yesterday and four today, and the remaining three will no doubt follow in short order. (I've heard a lot about the Dark Phoenix Saga, Spidey/Silk stories always look interesting, and Iron Fist... well, that was free and I'm getting curious about the character, so win-win.)

Thus, on the optimistic side, I can honestly say that not even ten hours into the new year, I've knocked four books off of Mount Tsundoku, added none to it, and spent nothing.

Now to see how long that trend can last...
Old 01-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #4062
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I just counted my 2016 total, and I came in at just over $80, which is well under my goal of $20 per month. No kudos deserved, because I 'over' over stockpiled for 3-4 years in anticipation of my retirement this year. So I literally have thousands of books to read.

Nevertheless I'm pleased with 2016. I was able to break the really bad habit of visiting Amazon daily deals several times a week. I hate to think about what I probably spent there on books I may never read In 2017 my goal is to make intentional purchases of books I intend to read right away, like the next Liaden to come out. No more books on spec. And to keep picking away at the stockpile.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #4063
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Well just finished the Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza so had to buy the next two in the series (not written any more) so we are 19hours into 2017 and i have spent £3.98
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #4064
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Wow! Awesome job! Must have been 99 cent books.
Quote:
Thank you. Thank you.

Having a large TBR pile allows me to wait for the best ebook bargains.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #4065
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I guess I'm glad I mostly missed the Open Road sale. I still have 80% of those books from the Kobocolypse a couple years ago to read. I forgot to get my Baen bundle before the end of the year so had to count it this year. So, I only got one Baen bundle last year. Yay!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote