Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
SpyKiIIer
SpyKiIIer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
PDF title and author error when sending to device

Hi all,

The basics of my problem is that when I send books to my Sony Reader 600, the last character of the title or author changes from the letter or number to a box on the device. If I open my device with the sony software, it looks like the last character has been changed to a Chinese character. I have entered most of the title and author information by hand, as I add my books to calibre. Most of my books are text .pdf's. In calibre library it is fine though.

Example:

Author in Calibre: Anne McCaffrey - Acorna 6
Author on reader: Anne McCaffrey - Acorna []

Title in Calibre: Acorna's Rebels
Title on reader: Acorna's Rebel[]

Any ideas how to fix this?
SpyKiIIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I reported the same problem when I added my PRS-600 user's manual to Calibre and changed the name to PRS-600. The last 0 became a square character like [].

If I were a guessing man I would say Calibre was ending the name field with a Linux LF instead of nothing or a Windows CR LF.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/4378
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
SpyKiIIer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
None of the files that I put onto my reader are passworded, so the bug listed doesn't exactly relate.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I updated the bug report to indicate mine was not passworded.

I suggest anyone that has a problem with Calibre register with the bug site linked. It is free and easy, and lets us comment on individual bugs. Sometimes the input from users can help get things fixed.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
What I do is simply edit the PDF's properties using Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) and then save the file. May not be pretty but works for me
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
SpyKiIIer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
What I do is simply edit the PDF's properties using Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) and then save the file. May not be pretty but works for me
That's not really viable as I am adding alot (400+ books) all with this issue.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre uses a particular library called podofo to set metadata in PDF files. You may have better luck getting this fixed if you open a bug report directly with them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote