Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
horseflesh
horseflesh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Problem with html->epub: reader can't page through file

I am converting some web pages to ebooks for reference material. When I choose epub output, the first page looks good--has the images and is formatted well--but when I push the page forward button my 505 reader shows the "nope!" icon.

It shows that the document has multiple pages, and I can page through it in Calibre's epub reader... but not on the device. Any ideas?

(In LRF the file works fine, though the formatting isn't as nice. Images are put in between paragraphs instead of inset into the text as on the original web page.)
horseflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the epub renderer on the sony doesn't like some markup in the html. you'll have to experiment and find out exactly what markup it is.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
horseflesh

Thanks. I was hoping there was a "more magic" checkbox in the config that I had missed.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Run it through ePubCheck and post the result. Don't worry if you get a long string of errors - ePubCheck is very strict and many of the errors it reports can be ignored for the Sony readers, but it will point out any critical flaws.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
Mordak
Mordak began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I had exactly the same problem with the entire 0.6.x series (I stopped using 0.6.x and reverted to 0.5.6 in August). I would take an html formatted book, use calibre to convert it to epub, and then the book would be broken on my PRS-505. I would be able to page through some of it, but eventually it would give me a read error and would break the book (page 104 on one book, page 27 on another - but everything I tried was broken somewhere). Once I identified which book was broken where then I could reproduce the error consistently. I could not jump past the problematic page. I dug around in the epub a bit and found that it was always happening on chapter breaks, which calibre 0.6 defines differently than the 0.5 series, though I couldn't figure out what it was about the chapter breaks that broke it. I'll be back home in November and will see if the new builds of the 0.6 line solve the problem, but until then I have reverted to 0.5.6, which produces working epub output for my 505 on the exact same html input that resulted in broken epubs with 0.6.x.

So the original poster might not have funny html markup in his document, he might be experiencing the same thing I did.
Mordak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
horseflesh

Good post. When I get some time I will see if the problem goes away in 0.5.6.