Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Torrents and torrents..

As we all know, filesharing gets a bad rap from the Powers That Be for allowing people to share illegal stuff.
But it can share legal stuff too!
Can people recommends any torrents of legal books (out of copyright for as many people as possible in USA or Canada for instance - please be specific!) that we can safely, happily, download?
I'm thinking Project Gutenberg ebooks in EPUB format, for instance.. a few gigabytes of those would set me up forever..
Wouldn't it be nice if we could download MobileRead books in bulk too?..

Last edited by AprilHare; 10-02-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: moar
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, they are not torrents, but Manybooks.net offers offers most (if not all) of Project Gutenberg's books via epub. Feedbooks also offers quite a few public domain and CC titles in epub.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if we could download MobileRead books in bulk too?..
No, it wouldn't . We've discussed this at considerable length in the past, and most people who create books here are vehemently opposed to "bulk" book downloading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've no experience with torrents - the whole idea sort of scares me. But why are y'all uploaders opposed? Just curious....
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
most people who create books here are vehemently opposed to "bulk" book downloading.

As a reader, I'm not terribly interested in bulk downloads either, just as I'm not interested in bulk purchases. I can point to my bookshelf (physical and electronic) and say that I've read all of those books. If I'm bulk downloading, not only can I not say that, but I really feel that I'll loose alot of the books in the swarm.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
No, it wouldn't . We've discussed this at considerable length in the past, and most people who create books here are vehemently opposed to "bulk" book downloading.
Apart from bandwidth issues, the rationale is what exactly?

I wouldn't want to download the whole site, but 'author packs' would be convenient.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's precisely the point, Ed. We want people to read the descriptions we've written, peoples' comments, add their own comments, etc. Bulk downloading "anonymizes" the whole thing, which we really don't want.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
As a reader, I'm not terribly interested in bulk downloads either, just as I'm not interested in bulk purchases. I can point to my bookshelf (physical and electronic) and say that I've read all of those books. If I'm bulk downloading, not only can I not say that, but I really feel that I'll loose alot of the books in the swarm.

- Ed
Right, overwhelming. Thank you for saying what I was trying to say above, but couldn't put the thought together. Much too early, much too little coffe thus far, brain still sleeping.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I've no experience with torrents - the whole idea sort of scares me. But why are y'all uploaders opposed? Just curious....
This thread discussed it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33021

Last edited by Sparrow; 10-02-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Getting back to the topic...
Baen CD torrents.
Gutenberg torrents.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I've seen some torrents on The Pirate Bay where people have put a ton of Project Gutenberg books together. I was tempted, but ultimately didn't want to dig through that many books yet.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The other problem with torrents is that many of us here regularly update and improve the books we've uploaded. We want people to get the latest version of those books from here, not from a torrent where they may be out of date.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've got bulk books before, however it was usually some sort of related set, usually a series, or just a single author (such as the Dresden Files books, or anything by Stephen King). It just seems a waste of time and effort to grab "random lot of books", when I may not want to read most of them. Just more for me to sort and organize.

To clarify, so you don't think I'm some pirate, the bulk grabs I've just went and got box sets, or just went through and snag all the books that fit what I was looking for. I consider it bulk, because when you're buying like 10+ books at a time just because they were by X author or are in Y series, that just isn't in the norm of single purchases.

Last edited by Hellmark; 10-02-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Ultimately, I see little utility in having a bulk download of legal ebooks. Lets face it, most books will download in less than a minute (unless you are still using a dial-up connection). So I see little need to download a bunch a Public Domain titles. I can always download them later.

The one exception might be in promotional downloads by publishers and authors. If they are offering an ebook free for now, if I think I might ever be interested in it, I download it, now. It might not be legally available next month.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yeah, but should eBooks that aren't bound by the oppressive dictates of authors and publishers be bound by the oppressive dictates of their compilers?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote