Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #46
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I must admit that to reduce my caffeine intake, I now only drink :shudder: herbal teas. Uncivilized, I know.
I've not tried it, but I've been told that decaffeinated tea is actually pretty good.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #47
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Has anyone purchased tea from Upton Tea? The company advertises in two magazines I subscribe to (Smithsonian and The Atlantic), but I've never bought from them.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #48
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
I absolutely hate 'Tea bags'.

Am I really the only one here who can taste the 'woodiness' imparted to the flavour of the tea brewed this way?.

For me the only way is the traditional - warmed tea pot, a teaspoon of good quality leaf tea per person plus 'one for the pot', boiling water, brew under tea cosy for 4 mins, milk in cup first. divine!!!

I guess I am just a traditional old fart!.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #49
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
I absolutely hate 'Tea bags'.

Am I really the only one here who can taste the 'woodiness' imparted to the flavour of the tea brewed this way?.

For me the only way is the traditional - warmed tea pot, a teaspoon of good quality leaf tea per person plus 'one for the pot', boiling water, brew under tea cosy for 4 mins, milk in cup first. divine!!!

I guess I am just a traditional old fart!.
How can you taste anything of tea at all, woodiness or anything else if you drink tea with a milk?

The drink might be nice and tasty but would it be a tea? No way. Milk overpowers any tea taste.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #50
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a video on brewing the 'perfect' cuppa at:
http://video.about.com/coffeetea/How...Cup-of-Tea.htm

I want the teapot she's got, it looks nifty.
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #51
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
How can you taste anything of tea at all, woodiness or anything else if you drink tea with a milk?

The drink might be nice and tasty but would it be a tea? No way. Milk overpowers any tea taste.
You might not be making your tea strong enough, generally with tea bags it is also far too weak and the flavour can be masked by whole milk if you use too much, I use only 0% full skim (for health reasons).

If you use lemon all you will taste is the lemon not the tea, (or the woodiness imparted by the bags). Which is in no way traditional tea - like I said I am a traditional old fart and I prefer my tea the traditional way.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

It's a cultural thing, astra. You grew up in Russia, didn't you? Russians drink their tea without milk; British people drink it with milk. It's what you're used to.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:23 AM   #53
columbus
Wizard

Interesting point (amongst others) on Wikipedia
Quote:
Some tea bags are made using a wet paper strength-reinforcing coating using epichlorohydrin, a known carcinogen.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:46 AM   #54
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a cultural thing, astra. You grew up in Russia, didn't you? Russians drink their tea without milk; British people drink it with milk. It's what you're used to.
I'm a Brit and I don't have milk (or sugar - a Russian habit that also destroys the flavour imho) in tea or coffee. I get the impression more people are eschewing milk these days - but Harry is right to the extent that the vast majority of people in Britain still have milk in tea.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #55
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
There is a seed of truth in what you are saying but as Sparrow said:
Quote:
sugar - a Russian habit that also destroys the flavour
Neither I use sugar nor milk nor lemon.

In my family me and mo dad used to drink black tea, no milk, lots of sugar. My mom also added a piece of lemon to her cup...if we had one(lemon)
My brother became a big fun of a real tea when I was 17-18. He told me that what I drink cannot be called tea. It is a warm water with a bit of brown colour and sugar (you know that tea bags have only tea dust(leftovers) in them). I could not imagine drinking tea without sugar, so I didn't change my habit.
However, in my later twenties I realised that sugar is bad for me, so I resolved to give up on sugar and it took me 6 months to give up on it and another 6 month to start feeling the actual taste of what I was drinking. Only then I started to investigate this "tea" issue deeper and found out different types of tea, learned how to drink it etc.
My point is that regardless of your cultural origins you can learn the proper way to drink tea at any age
(something akin to drinking whisky, you can either drink it like vodka or tequila and get drunk quickly or...you can savour it )
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like tea with milk, and see no reason to "force myself" to learn to like it without .
Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #57
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
I like tea with milk, and see no reason to "force myself" to learn to like it without .
It's better for the environment.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #58
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
o I never updated you guys.. I got my lose tea..

over all it is about the same as tea bags
(stash the company that I got the bag from before use mostly the same tea leaves in the bags and the lose tea.)

for an infuser I got(what the rep told me she uses.)
http://shopstashtea.com/700041.html
very easy to use/clean. fits in any us cup. has a top to hold in the flaor for brewing and it doubles as a holder for the infuser while im drinking.

overall not that much for work. for not that much gain.
but ends up costing less per cup.

also got some Honey Sticks. well worth the cost.. nice not to need to have suger around and honey works so much better. one think they need not say thou that they are almost inpossable to open without having scissors.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
you know that tea bags have only tea dust(leftovers) in them).
If you buy cheap rubbish, yes, but not if you buy a decent brand.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #60
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like hot tea and iced coffee. Having stated that, I PREFER hot coffee and iced tea.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote